Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 09:11 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

We used to use Wildwood Soy Creamer but they have sadly discontinued making it and have not found anything as good. I only have one cup in the morning and use half and half. My DH drinks coffee all day and is really unhappy without his Wildwood. I'll continue watching this thread on his behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 03:43 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post

My bad cholesteral is testing high
I don't know how old you are, I do know for me the older I get the more cholesteral my body makes. Really has little to do with what I consume. I eat a healthy diet. It wouldn't matter if I give up the little bit of cream I use in my coffee every day.

Our family history is high cholesterol. My good doctor has agreed it has little to do with what we consume (unless maybe you have a really horrible diet).

I say enjoy your cream.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Additionally, the added sugar in fat-free half and half will add carbs to your morning beverage, and if one is trying to control his/her weight, that pseudo half & half is not a good idea.
I'll piggyback on this and add that Coffee Mate dry creamer's main ingredient is corn syrup solids, second is hydrogenated vegetable oils from multiple sources - it is like pouring greasy sugar into your morning brew.

Serum cholesterol is a complicated issue. Many PCPs don't even know all the nuances of how our bodies metabolize and accumulate cholesterol. There was a study I read over 10 years ago that observed that the physical size of cholesterol in the bloodstream (i.e. big, fluffy particles vs. small, tight particles) had a link to whether or not someone would develop adverse health conditions. The big fluffy cholesterol was found to be the "harmless" one and was linked to diets with plenty of saturated fats, the small, tight cholesterol was linked to low-fat, high carb diets and with the greatest risk for settling into plaque in your arteries. Before anyone gets into the "good" and "bad" HDL/LDL concept, this is only dealing within the framework of LDL.

I found an article about this concept.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-flna1c9442109

Quote:
LDL comes in four basic forms: a big, fluffy form known as large LDL, and three increasingly dense forms known as medium, small, and very small LDL. A diet high in saturated fat mainly boosts the numbers of large-LDL particles, while a low-fat diet high in carbohydrates propagates the smaller forms. The big, fluffy particles are largely benign, while the small, dense versions keep lipid-science researchers awake at night.
I agree with the posters who've said that the amount of cholesterol you add to your morning coffee is not significant enough to warrant using a replacement. Enjoy your coffee and maybe rethink other sources in your diet to reduce your cholesterol.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
I just tried someone's coconut milk suggestion. OMG, it's gross! To me, it isn't "creamy". It's greasy.
I had to dump the coffee down the drain, scrub the mug and then brew another cup. I'll stick to my CoffeeMate, thank you very much. Ahhhhh... delicious.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I just tried someone's coconut milk suggestion. OMG, it's gross! To me, it isn't "creamy". It's greasy.
I had to dump the coffee down the drain, scrub the mug and then brew another cup. I'll stick to my CoffeeMate, thank you very much. Ahhhhh... delicious.
In all fairness, they recommended using COCONUT CREAM, not COCONUT MILK. I would not use either for coffee.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for the holy grail here. I'm looking for a coffee creamer alternative that is a) CREAMY--not watery b) somewhat all natural c) low cholesterol d) relatively low in calories.

My bad cholesteral is testing high and I have GERD. I'm ignoring the GERD for the moment because it's really not that bad, I just experience some burping.

The issue is that I'm a self-confessed "coffee wimp." I need CREAM (not milk) and sugar to make coffee palatable. Once those requirements are satisfied I LOVE coffee. I should also cut out the sugar but I'm willing to substitute the sugar with stevia. The problem is that I have not been able to find a suitable replacement for the cream.

I've tried a few nut creamers--too watery and I don't like the taste. I've used half-half and that's OK but I still worry about the fat content. I actually do like the original Coffeemate (liquid and dry) but it's not exactly low cholesterol and is filled with chemicals that I probably shouldn't be ingesting.

The real issue is creaminess. I want the texture and color cream gives my coffee without the cholesterol.

Is there such a beast out there?
You can get non-fat half/half—which is what I use—

Old 02-21-2022, 02:35 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You can get non-fat half/half—which is what I use—
Is that like a meatless beef steak?

Old 02-21-2022, 03:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Is that like a meatless beef steak?
No
I don’t use steak in my coffee

Old 02-21-2022, 03:29 PM

668 posts, read 470,247 times
First, as many others have said, the splash of half and half you are adding..is it that big of a deal?

and fat free half and half... the splash you are adding... is it that big of a deal?

i won't give up my half and half in my coffee. No sugar but yes to half & half. yum.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In all fairness, they recommended using COCONUT CREAM, not COCONUT MILK. I would not use either for coffee.
Seems like coconut cream would be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink