U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2022, 11:00 AM

9,024 posts, read 5,691,235 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I decided to use a box of Middle East brand’s tabouleh mix. It was about 1.5 years past the Best By date, which didn’t concern me due to it being grains and dried herbs (no dairy, eggs, or meat).

I followed the first part of the directions, namely adding a cup of boiling water to the mixture, then covering it for about 20 to 30 minutes, followed by chilling the stuff for about an hour.

At that point, box directions say to add chopped tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, and serve cold, as I’ve always had it.

I wanted hot grains with a bit more texture, so I did not mix in those ingredients. Instead, I heated up a nonstick pan medium-high, added olive oil labeled as suitable for sauteeing, and fried the grain mixture till it got all poppety and had light golden brown on the bottom, then flipped the stuff to brown more of the grains.

YUM! The blend of crunchy bits and chewy bits was far more interesting than the cold standard fare, and it smelled good while being toasted.

What other variations on standardized dishes have you tried and liked?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:18 AM

50,927 posts, read 72,475,940 times
I add chopped vegetables mix and sauteed onions and serve warm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink