U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 07:40 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,373,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Define "better"...
better=more nutritious?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 08:45 PM

18,512 posts, read 24,843,814 times
Pork liver will be found in virtually all Asian grocers. As well as other pork products unfamiliar to American pallets like pork ears, intestines, uterus, stomach, etc. Pork blood is the one that stumps me:. How do they make it firm like jello? (rhetorical question. No answer required.)

I eat beef liver - as long as it's barely medium rare. The second it goes grey, it's dog food. I'm hesitant try try pork liver because I don't want it (over)cooked to grey shoe leather. (Yes, we like our pork pink, not white, and certainly not grey.)

Old 07-07-2022, 08:49 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,579,261 times
Pork or chicken liver, hands down. Beef has that sticky lard to it... chicken liver has a bit more of bitter taste but is very soft and just needs to be cooked right.
BUT! Beef heart tastes great!!!!! Wife made stew out of it, was delicious.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:52 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,579,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Pork liver will be found in virtually all Asian grocers. As well as other pork products unfamiliar to American pallets like pork ears, intestines, uterus, stomach, etc. Pork blood is the one that stumps me:. How do they make it firm like jello? (rhetorical question. No answer required.)

I eat beef liver - as long as it's barely medium rare. The second it goes grey, it's dog food. I'm hesitant try try pork liver because I don't want it (over)cooked to grey shoe leather. (Yes, we like our pork pink, not white, and certainly not grey.)

Say what? I ate pork liver through my entire life, had it cooked by others, cooked it myself - well, fried with oil and onions - MANY times, never managed to get it to "grey shoe leather". If overcooked, it simply falls apart into like porridge granules.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:21 PM

15,860 posts, read 27,900,074 times
I saw pork liver in the Asian market where I was shopping today. It was right next to the pork hearts and the pork kidneys. It is amazing what you can find when you shop at supermarkets where they work from carcasses as opposed to primals.

I have never eaten pork liver directly as a entree as I have both beef and chicken livers on many occasions. However, I have eaten pork liver as liverwurst, as braunschweiger, as pate in banh mi sandwiches, and in some of the cajun boudin sausage that I have had over the years.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:43 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,896,083 times
None of the above. Not interested in eating organs particularly one which filters toxins from the blood stream.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:00 AM

20,082 posts, read 25,664,417 times
Some of the Hispanic markets near me carry pork liver. I bought it and made for my husband and he said he preferred beef liver. I have also seen beef kidney as well and I have made that for him but he did not care for it.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:09 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,304,510 times
This thread is a puzzlement to me. Never realized so many think pork liver is exotic. That's all we ever ate when
I was growing up and what I make when we want liver.

My mother taught me to dip it raw in boiling water before frying it to help remove the blood. It produces a milder version.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:11 PM

30,168 posts, read 41,230,033 times
They are both dog food as far as I am concerned, but if you actually like liver, there is no reason to not like pork liver. Beef liver, chicken liver, turkey liver, people who like liver seem to like all of them, so it shouldn't be any different about pork liver. it's liver and it is going to taste like liver.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:20 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,373,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I have never seen pork uterus in Asian supermarket,how does it look like?
Pig blood just coagulate that way,it is mother nature,there is a soup dish of cutting them in cube and cutting tofu in cube and make soup with them a play of colors!
Either the Polish or Czech also have a dish using pig blood,cant recall how it is prepared?
what about blood sausage?
Masai drinks the blood of their cattle,thats protein.
The Chinese will either stir fry pork liver with scallions/onion ,so they are tender,but they also make soup ,with potato,tomatos,and it is like a piece of shoe rubber?/slice it and dip it in soy sauce.
well cooked pig liver does no turn grey,it turns dark red,and dry.

Last edited by mojo101; 07-08-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink