U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 12:59 AM

29,297 posts, read 52,914,875 times

Advertisements

Spicy food challenges are all the rage these days, but can munching red hot peppers and sizzling hot sauces harm you?

One nutrition expert from University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center in Ohio suggests that while they may burn your tongue at the dinner table and trigger gastrointestinal distress traveling through your body, they actually could help improve your lifelong health.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2022...9851657285311/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 07:07 AM

251,929 posts, read 85,984,994 times
My uptake of hot and spicy can be improved on if left to my devices. Ancho to Ghost and most peppers in between have taken up residence here. The challenge is to find a way to include them for me and not to contaminate what my better half can enjoy. Some dishes just need to be prepared with the peppers and not simply added on the top. On dish that we have worked it out for is potato salad. My wife will make a large patch and split it. Then I get jalapeno relish added to mine and she can have her beloved boiled egg added to hers. I just bought a nice basket of fiery red jalapeno peppers to use in making a pork sauce from them and peaches. That's one thing that she has learned to like. I've had biology professors confirm the health benefits of hot peppers decades ago.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:18 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,839,829 times
It has been documented many times over the years how eating hot pepper are beneficial, in many ways, health wise and it’s due to the Capsaicin compound that’s in the peppers. Capsaicin is also linked to killing cancer cells and preventing them from spreading.

You don’t need to eat them to the point that it’s actually painful but definitely worthwhile to include them in your everyday diet, to some degree. We use various types of hot peppers often and enjoy moderately spicy meals.
Attached Thumbnails
News, For spicy foods, short-time pain, long-term gain.-007af2a8-1309-4bd8-a73f-299230c6af14.jpeg  

Old 07-24-2022, 07:28 AM

4,856 posts, read 1,918,284 times
I bury everything in Tabasco and cayenne pepper. I am going to live... FOREVER.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:32 AM

4,856 posts, read 1,918,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My uptake of hot and spicy can be improved on if left to my devices. Ancho to Ghost and most peppers in between have taken up residence here. The challenge is to find a way to include them for me and not to contaminate what my better half can enjoy. Some dishes just need to be prepared with the peppers and not simply added on the top. On dish that we have worked it out for is potato salad. My wife will make a large patch and split it. Then I get jalapeno relish added to mine and she can have her beloved boiled egg added to hers. I just bought a nice basket of fiery red jalapeno peppers to use in making a pork sauce from them and peaches. That's one thing that she has learned to like. I've had biology professors confirm the health benefits of hot peppers decades ago.

Last week I tried some ghost pepper beef jerky. My nose was running after one small bite. I am pretty sure if I ate an entire stick, I would be in tears or the hospital.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:33 AM

7,262 posts, read 5,775,212 times
I have an unsubstantiated theory that spicy food "wakes up" my taste buds and lets me enjoy the accompanying food more than I would have without the spiciness. Something like flipping a switch to make my sense of taste more sensitive. Whether that's true or not, love my hot peppers on most everything.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:25 AM

10,238 posts, read 6,309,414 times
Foods with capsaicin in them have been used in subtropical Mexico for millennia. Turns out they have anti-microbial properties so they protect against food poisoning and streptococci.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26617603/

Old 07-24-2022, 11:22 AM

251,929 posts, read 85,984,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Last week I tried some ghost pepper beef jerky. My nose was running after one small bite. I am pretty sure if I ate an entire stick, I would be in tears or the hospital.
Those are the hottest commercial grown peppers that I know of. There are much hotter varieties that should not be on a produce shelf due the danger they pose to the unsuspecting sampler... Carolina Reapers can Reap the Ghost if you get my pun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink