Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 01:33 PM

1,364 posts, read 992,008 times

Advertisements

https://www.convertunits.com/from/pint+%5BUS,+dry%5D/to/grams

Tells me that one dry pint equals 550g

I Just picked up two pkgs of blueberries at my local WFoods. One is noticeably heavier than the other The pkgs say 'one dry pint'. If I weigh pkg #1, it is 290 G; if I weigh pkg #2, it is 330 G.

Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 01:44 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Am I missing something?
A pint's a pound the world around and grams per pound = 453

As to the dry pints:
In the United States the unit for dry measure is slightly different from that for liquid measure;
a U.S. dry pint is 33.6 cubic inches (550.6 cubic cm), while a U.S. liquid pint is 28.9 cubic inches (473.2 cubic cm).
In each system, two cups make a pint, and two pints equal a quart.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:49 PM

130,122 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A pint's a pound the world around
Quote:
and grams per pound = 453

As to the dry pints:
In the United States the unit for dry measure is slightly different from that for liquid measure;
a U.S. dry pint is 33.6 cubic inches (550.6 cubic cm), while a U.S. liquid pint is 28.9 cubic inches (473.2 cubic cm).

Bolded part is not true, UK & USA pints are different. WE go to a local Brit pub & they always ask which pint do we want.
https://blog.ansi.org/2018/06/why-pi...s-volume/#gref

Old 07-15-2022, 02:55 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:

I Just picked up two pkgs of blueberries at my local WFoods. One is noticeably heavier than the other The pkgs say 'one dry pint'. If I weigh pkg #1, it is 290 G; if I weigh pkg #2, it is 330 G.

Am I missing something?
A pint of what?

Old 07-15-2022, 03:33 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
What you are missing is that a "dry pint" is a measure of VOLUME, not weight.

Fill a pint measure with rice, with flour, with molasses, and with blueberries, and you will get four different weights, but the volume is all "one dry pint."

Your conversion site does mention that the value given is a conversion between a pint (volume) and grams of water. So when it tells you what one pint weighs, it is talking about water. Not blueberries.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:20 PM

1,364 posts, read 992,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
A pint of what?
As stated, blueberries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Fill a pint measure with rice, with flour, with molasses, and with blueberries, and you will get four different weights, but the volume is all "one dry pint."

Your conversion site does mention that the value given is a conversion between a pint (volume) and grams of water. So when it tells you what one pint weighs, it is talking about water. Not blueberries.
Oh. So, one dry pint of BBerries from one farm is going to yield more BBerries then one dry pint of BBerries from another farm?

Old 07-15-2022, 05:50 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
As stated, blueberries.

Oh. So, one dry pint of BBerries from one farm is going to yield more BBerries then one dry pint of BBerries from another farm?
Blueberries are a fruit. Depending on how and when they were harvested, storage conditions, etc., the moisture content (and weight) will vary. If you are using them for pies and such, that doesn't much matter, since the water can need to be cooked down anyway. If they are to be used fresh, plump and water filled is nice.

The size of the berries might have some effect on weight, but that shouldn't be a whole lot. My wife and I used to buy flats of blueberries at Aldis during the peak season when they were sweet and cheap. A good rinse and sorting, and then they were popped into ziplock bags and frozen for use throughout the year.

I can think of various reasons a pint might be short - if they were handled roughly or bounced around some may have come off the top. A hungry delivery driver might sneak a few while unloading. Customers at a store might be sampling.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:57 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:

Am I missing something?
Probably means it's sold by volume (a pint) instead of weight.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:57 PM

3,261 posts, read 1,742,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Bingo !

Old 07-15-2022, 08:39 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
A pint's a pound the world around and grams per pound = 453

As to the dry pints:
A pint of water (or anything of similar specific gravity) weighs a pound. A pint of lead does not, nor does a pint of feathers.

And if some of the blueberries have been sitting around longer, some moisture probably evaporated and a similar volume will weigh less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink