U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 07:40 PM

14,382 posts, read 11,673,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, that's city flying rat.
Rats with wings

But you can actually eat them. They were domesticated as a food source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-EmXGsEQA&t=1s
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 08:20 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,314,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Cubes of beef and/or veal on a skewer formed and breaded to look like a piece of chicken. It dates from an era when chicken was hard to find in Midwestern cities.
https://www.eater.com/2017/5/5/15551...and-pittsburgh
I had it late at night at a party in Endicott NY, I always assumed it was local to the Binghamton region. Whatever, it was great. (And I'm sure the fact that it was "late at night at a party" had nothing to do with that.)

Good stuff.

(Introduced to me by the same people that brought Speidies into my life! I have the best in-laws.)

Old 07-26-2022, 05:51 PM

12,160 posts, read 20,097,079 times
It sounds tasty, but I’ve never had it. And my mother grew up in Pittsburgh. I’ll have to ask her about it.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:04 PM

52,339 posts, read 74,039,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
I loved it growing up -- it's really delicious. In Pittsburgh they sold it already skewered and breaded at the grocery store and it was a mix of pork and veal cubes -- once cooked you served it with a light pan gravy and mashed potatoes. A very 50's style dinner. I might try to make it again this winter -- it is more of a cold weather dish.
I believe that! Chicken meat is tasteless... (that's probably why people say that "everything" taste like chicken )

Never heard about it, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, that's city flying rat.
Pigeon soup is very tasty, super tender, easy to digest, full of high quality nutritions, and where I come from, it's given to people recovering from long sickness and young kids.
I read that Americans used to eat pigeon all the time. Perhaps this trend will come back. I would love to eat pigeon soup, again!!

Last edited by elnina; 07-26-2022 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 04:00 PM

31,150 posts, read 32,086,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I believe that! Chicken meat is tasteless... (that's probably why people say that "everything" taste like chicken )

Pigeon soup is very tasty, super tender, easy to digest, full of high quality nutritions, and where I come from, it's given to people recovering from long sickness and young kids.
I read that Americans used to eat pigeon all the time. Perhaps this trend will come back. I would love to eat pigeon soup, again!!
I've saw it on a French restaurant menu in New York.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:26 PM

39,208 posts, read 69,690,741 times
City chicken where I grew up (Erie) was a mix of veal and pork, purchased on skewers at the butcher shop, but not breaded. My mom would sprinkle it with salt and pepper and broil it in the oven. Tender and tasty.

When I moved to Cincinnati, I found city chicken was popular there as well.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:48 PM

22,579 posts, read 29,167,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

I am not sure that it's much or any different from squab, which is thought of as a "high end" food.

There is nothing strange about eating food from pigeon family.
"

Old 08-05-2022, 03:00 PM

475 posts, read 165,962 times
I always find it funny when ppl are prejudiced against certain foods when in actual fact they are quite good... so yeah pigeon is a common food in certain cultures and areas. They are a bit "gamey" but so is lamb, but I love that.

Maybe ppl envision the typical city flying rat with lice, etc and think that it's gross. I suspect if they seen some of the conditions intensely factory farmed chickens are raised, they would not wanna eat that KFC :P

I love "adventurous" eaters. Food is delicious and nutritious. So open your minds and try out some squab, or heck even raccoon or squirrel.

Life is too short not to explore our diversity.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:32 PM

15,861 posts, read 27,900,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I always find it funny when ppl are prejudiced against certain foods when in actual fact they are quite good... so yeah pigeon is a common food in certain cultures and areas. They are a bit "gamey" but so is lamb, but I love that.

Maybe ppl envision the typical city flying rat with lice, etc and think that it's gross. I suspect if they seen some of the conditions intensely factory farmed chickens are raised, they would not wanna eat that KFC :P

I love "adventurous" eaters. Food is delicious and nutritious. So open your minds and try out some squab, or heck even raccoon or squirrel.

Life is too short not to explore our diversity.

I have never had pigeon personally. However, it was a staple at my grandfather's house as he raised carrier pigeons for racing. It was one of my father's favorites.

When I lived in Northern Illinois, the local hunt club would have a banquet featuring whatever animals they hunted that year as an effort to clean out their freezers prior to hunting season. So I have had raccoon and a lot of other meats that most people will not try. I like raccoon as the meat is very rich like a cross between beef short rib and lobster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink