U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 08:09 AM

384 posts, read 118,377 times

Advertisements

Ditto on the suspicion that Stouffer's changed their recipe for the worse. Used to be foolproof. Now it's got that same nasty oil in it that many producers are using to "extend" meat products.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 10:07 AM

9,707 posts, read 7,885,657 times
Stouffers is just a runny mess now. It used to be that you let it cool for 5 minutes to firm up and you could slice squares to put on a plate. Now it's more of a spoon it into a bowl sort of lasagna with less meat, less noodles, less cheese, and a lot more sauce.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:12 AM

9,480 posts, read 16,337,820 times
My experience with Stouffer's lasagna (including recent experience, i.e. certainly within the past 6 months or so) has been the same as the OP's: it's been excellent. I typically get the lasagna with meat & sauce. It takes a LONG time to bake (close to 2 hours including oven preheat time) so I have to plan ahead, which I'm not always great at, but I never get a runny mess; I can always cut it into squares (or rectangles) and it holds up well. It appears several of you do get a runny mess, and I would be bummed too as it's not cheap.

I keep meaning to make my own lasagna but have been too lazy. This is one recipe I want to try: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spinach-lasagna/ (I'm not a vegetarian, but we used to have veggie lasagna for lunch at International House in Berkeley many eons ago, and it was really delicious! ).

Old 07-18-2022, 01:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 6,954,855 times
I used to eat at the Stouffer's restaurant when I lived in Ohio years ago so it is painful to see them go cheap.

This is leaving T.J.'s and Stouffer's behind.

https://www.rana.com.au/

Everything we have tried from this company is really good, including their lobster pasta. be sure to check out their recipe section also.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:19 PM

13,330 posts, read 13,551,016 times
I like Marie Callender's 3 meat lasagna. They seem to balance out the ingredients enough, so that you aren't just tasting the pasta or tomato sauce. Seems to hold its shape pretty good too as long as you cook and cool it down right.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:56 PM

9,318 posts, read 6,928,069 times
I’m dad about stoufers. I was amazed how good it was a while back.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:00 PM

10,778 posts, read 12,134,974 times
I also always have a frozen Stouffers lasagna on hand along with frozen Pepperidge Farm Cheesy Garlic bread. Does it taste homemade? Nah. But it is enjoyable and easy and good.

Old 07-19-2022, 12:46 AM

15,873 posts, read 27,909,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’m dad about stoufers. I was amazed how good it was a while back.
And how bad it is these days.

Old 07-19-2022, 06:22 AM

21,349 posts, read 29,048,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think they changed their recipe a few years ago. At one time Stouffer's was pretty good, and a great standby for feeding a crowd a semi-decent meal. Now it's a runny mess that never congeals into a good sliceable lasagna.

I really like my own scratch-made lasagna. What a surprise....LOL. It just takes a while to put together. But really, when I compare it to the time to make a frozen one, it's almost a wash, time-wise, but mine requires more cooking effort than just sliding it in and out of the oven. I also make a mean chicken, spinach, mushroom white lasagna. I think I'm gonna make that soon after I get another rotisserie chicken.

I haven't made one in years, since my hub stopped doing the garden. I used to throw whatever veggies he was growing into it, zucchini, yellow squash, green and red peppers, Hungarian yellow banana peppers. His sister who lives an hour away has a large garden, they grow egg plant which I'll also put in it. The only veggie I buy is mushrooms and onions.

If I have ground meat or sausage on hand I'll put it in it, depending on my hubs mood. Sometimes he wanted just veggies which he prefers over a meat lasagna.

I used to make fresh stuffed shells which takes longer than lasagna. It's tedious filling the shells. The first time I made them for my hub 20+ years ago he wasn't impressed so I never made them again.

When he started working at Sam's club 2 years ago, he brought home a package of stuffed shells, only because he could easily microwave them when he gets home after midnight. They look good, but I won't eat them. They're nothing like my home made stuffed shells. I may try making them again one day to freeze so that he stops buying the frozen and to see if he's changed his mind about my stuffed shells. His tastes changed after having tonsil cancer in 2009. It's pretty funny because he will swear he never liked something that was one of his favorites before cancer.

I'm surprised he hasn't brought home a frozen lasagna. Maybe I'll go to Sam's to pick one up to see how they are. Believe it or not, I've never had one. The only frozen convenience meal I buy are salisbury steaks for hub and the kids.

Old 07-19-2022, 06:37 AM

916 posts, read 440,828 times
Michael Angelo's Meat Lasagna is very good. If you liked Stouffers, you'll go crazy over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink