U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 12:41 PM

15,484 posts, read 10,776,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
My other favorite is the hostess who sits someone at the table in front of me directly facing me—as if I get off on watching someone I do not know chew their food. Don’t worry—you won’t hurt my feelings if you sit them with their back facing me. If I wanted to be more social I would have eaten at the bar!
I don't get what you're saying. The hostess is forcing people to sit at certain spots at a table so that everyone in the restaurant is facing each other? I've never seen that happen before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 12:49 PM

15,484 posts, read 10,776,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Asking how your food is when your mouth is full is day 2 of server's school.

Learning how to disappear when you are finished with your meal, and need your check because you have a movie/ballgame to catch is day 3.
Servers aren't mind readers. If you are in a hurry, tell them. They're not going to have their feelings hurt or mess with your food if you give a polite "Hey, we have a 3pm movie we're trying to get to, if you could drop off the check with the food that would be great."

Old 07-19-2022, 01:10 PM

13,015 posts, read 10,319,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
"Hi, my name is Buffy"> I'll be your server today.

No chit? I thought you were just someone who wandered in off the street with a uniform and a note pad!

I could go on, but you get the drift.....

It's sort of like parenting. You are there to do a job, not to make fast friends with me.
What's the big deal? It's often helpful to know their name. If you have to complain, if you need something, etc. I don't need to make friends, but I sure want the service to be a little bit friendly.

Quote:
My other favorite is the hostess who sits someone at the table in front of me directly facing me—as if I get off on watching someone I do not know chew their food. Don’t worry—you won’t hurt my feelings if you sit them with their back facing me. If I wanted to be more social I would have eaten at the bar!
Some of that is the choice of the person sitting at the solo table. Personally I have preferences as to which direction I face, I much prefer sitting with my back to the smallest part of the restaurant, I prefer not to sit with my back to the door, etc...

Old 07-19-2022, 01:20 PM

30,199 posts, read 41,269,553 times
The server doesn't care how your meal is. She is just checking to make sure you got everything you ordered.

Before you finish eating everything on the plate is when you tell the waitress that your burger is lacking the guacamole that you ordered or that your french fries never arrived.

Old 07-19-2022, 02:55 PM

18,304 posts, read 11,901,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't get what you're saying. The hostess is forcing people to sit at certain spots at a table so that everyone in the restaurant is facing each other? I've never seen that happen before.
Guess that poster's paranoia is showing. IME, hosting persons (is that PC enough for you?) tend to seat newly arrived diners at available tables!

Old 07-19-2022, 03:48 PM

12,548 posts, read 6,761,925 times
My son did managerial restaurant while working on his master's degree. He learned some interesting techniques in the wait staff industry.
True facts: most person's tip higher for the server who is a bit ' aloof'. It's that little ego thing, people actually want you to ' notice them' and when you don't, you follow thru with a bigger tip as if to say: now you'll remember me! My son is a bit friendly and had to take it down a few notches. The tips poured in. !
His favorite knack was always placing the ' hot plate' in front of the patron, and without fail: he'd say: it's hot! Please be careful. And the person was compelled to touch it! He'd just nod ...
He only had one ' Friday night regular couple' that exhausted him. Brought there own utensils and napkins (cloth) . And without fail would say, take 15% off our bill, we saved you from cleaning utensils and having to wash the napkin.
One of my best dates was a gent that was cordial to the wait staff. Often introduced himself to them and vice versa. He actually made them feel welcomed into our dining experience! My parent said: watch how a gent treats the wait staff or service person. That's your cue how he'll treat you. She was right! He was a gent!

Only time I had a wait staff be less accommodating was when my parent and I went out to dinner. She was wheelchair bound and the staff thought it an inconvenience to place us near an aisle. I explained that it's a safety issue . We had to have proper turn zone. Those corner tables weren't cutting it..

Old 07-20-2022, 09:49 AM

6,621 posts, read 2,808,023 times
I think the manager or owner of the restaurant sets the standard for the wait staff. It also probably really depends on the type of restaurant it is.

We have a place here called Hen of the Wood. I went there for my birthday a few years back. Super high end and elegant. The service was impeccable and the best I've ever had in my life. Timing is critical and this server was just always there when you needed her, at the perfect time. Demeanor is also really important. She was low key, but friendly, knew everything about the food and wine and was gracious and polite. We tipped her an outrageous amount of $$ IIRC and she was worth every penny because she made the night. (oh, and the food was divine, too)

Old 07-20-2022, 11:16 AM

20,490 posts, read 26,115,949 times
Clearly a lot of you have never waited tables on this thread...

Old 07-25-2022, 06:03 AM

21,999 posts, read 9,067,090 times
Quote:
Asking you how your food is the very second they have just observed you shoving a fork full of food into your mouth.

Takes a special talent for so many to have acquired this skill, makes me wonder if there is a special school they all attended.

I usually respond by taking my time chewing my food and giving a thumbs up sign. The other options are to spit my food out and answer them and/or stick a fork in their eyeballs but I don’t look good in an orange jump suit.
In the UK there are Hospitality and Catering courses and colleges with qualifications ranging from City and Guilds and National Vocational Qualification (NVQ's) certificates through to degree level.

For more upmarket British establishment, Silver Service training is often required, and a discrete decorum in terms of patrons is usually required rather than constantly asking if your food is okay or continually interrupting them.

Silver service - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-25-2022 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink