Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 11:06 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Phoenix, I could get prepared ready to use whole bamboo shoots sold [U]individually[/U]. I could buy just one, sold by the pound in plastic buckets in the cold counter. Sold by the pound, in some kind of liquid, whole - ready to be sliced.

In Raleigh, I can buy them ready to use, but but they are prepackaged bags that contains WAY WAY WAY more than I can use before they get soft and yukky. And they are NOT cheap!

Anybody know how I can keep these for longer? The canned ones just aren't the same.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-19-2022 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 09:49 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
To store any leftover canned bamboo shoots, as well as boiled or blanched fresh bamboo shoots, place them in a plastic container covered with fresh water. Seal well and keep in the refrigerator for several days.
Fresh bamboo shoots can be also stored in plastic bags in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. They can also be cooked then frozen.

https://www.halfyourplate.ca/veggies/bamboo-shoots/

https://www.honestfoodtalks.com/bamboo-shoots-guide/

They are sold like this here:

Last edited by elnina; 07-20-2022 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-21-2022, 10:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Maybe it's just me but they don't look appetizing at all unless they're already cut up in those flat, rectangular pieces that you would get from a Chinese takeout place.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:31 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
They taste like what my clarinet reeds would have tasted like had I eaten them (I played in H.S.)

Old 07-22-2022, 06:06 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
I'm now wondering if bamboo shoots can be harvested from more than one variety of bamboo? Bamboo grows all around me and I intend to have a patch of my own. Never once did I consider it as a source of the shoots for culinary use.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm now wondering if bamboo shoots can be harvested from more than one variety of bamboo? Bamboo grows all around me and I intend to have a patch of my own. Never once did I consider it as a source of the shoots for culinary use.
The edible portions of a bamboo plant are the tender shoots that have just emerged, asparagus-like, from the ground in spring. There are hundreds of species of bamboo, all of which are potentially edible. Some are much tastier and more productive than others, however.

So.... Now we are back to the question of whether ALL bamboo shoots are edible.
The answer is: yes! Not only are bamboo shoots edible but they are low in fat and calories, easy to grow and harvest, as well as containing loads of fiber and potassium. They have a very mild taste but they accept the flavors of other foods easily and can blend into almost any cuisine.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...for-eating.htm

Keep a close watch during the brief spring harvest season, as the shoots must be harvested as soon as they emerge from the ground.
Harvest the shoots by slicing into the soil with a sharp spade to detach them from the root system (you can cut them several inches below the soil level).
Peel the dark outer sheaths from around each shoot.
Layer harvested shoots in damp paper towels inside a paper bag in your refrigerator to preserve freshness.
Cook shoots as soon as possible, as they quickly become bitter in storage. Simply slice and boil for 10 minutes.
https://modernfarmer.com/2018/07/how...-bamboo-shoots

Old 07-22-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The edible portions of a bamboo plant are the tender shoots that have just emerged, asparagus-like, from the ground in spring. There are hundreds of species of bamboo, all of which are potentially edible. Some are much tastier and more productive than others, however.

So.... Now we are back to the question of whether ALL bamboo shoots are edible.
Not only are bamboo shoots edible but they are low in fat and calories, easy to grow and harvest, as well as containing loads of fiber and potassium. They have a very mild taste but they accept the flavors of other foods easily and can blend into almost any cuisine.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...for-eating.htm
Makes me think that an Instapot may have a place..... The best option no doubt is to buy stock that is best used for culinary use if it will grow in ones climate zone.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:54 PM

I think bamboo is doing exceptionally well in South.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:05 PM

1,125 posts, read 607,749 times
I simply love the unique texture and taste of bamboo shoots... never had the pleasure of eating fresh ones though.

I've only come across canned or bagged shoots... is there a huge difference?

Plus, you can actually grow them in your garden for food? That is fascinating. Wonder if they grow like weeds lol.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I simply love the unique texture and taste of bamboo shoots... never had the pleasure of eating fresh ones though.

I've only come across canned or bagged shoots... is there a huge difference?

Plus, you can actually grow them in your garden for food? That is fascinating. Wonder if they grow like weeds lol.
Bamboo is very invasive... Neighbors will love you, not....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink