U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 09:59 AM

15,176 posts, read 24,345,130 times

Advertisements

Regarding the bread sizes. The reason a standard loaf of bread at the store is now one slice serving is because they upsized the bread. A standard loaf pan is about 8 x 4. The standard bread size is now about 9 x 6. And has been for a very long time. This isn’t new.

But we’re used to having two slices of bread to make a sandwich and that’s just what we reach for. And a lot of portion control, at least for me, is fooling my eye. To me a sandwich is two slices of bread. One slice cut in half does not make me happy.

So, you can still find old-fashioned standard size loaves of bread. Usually in what they call thin sliced, and use two pieces of bread. I tend to buy Dave’s organic bread, or Orowheat rustic white. I freeze them, because I eat bread so rarely that I need it to last for two or three months. Every once in a while though I want toast. Usually those rare times I need cocoa.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:07 AM

9,377 posts, read 6,202,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I thought that too until I went back to France and could almost never clean my plate. One meal in particular stood out to me in Paris. I ordered a margherita pizza, no appetizer, no dessert. The pizzas there are served whole, one per person, and this one was about 12" in diameter. I tried, but I could not finish it. In the meantime, a petite French woman sitting a table away from me on the terrasse ordered and finished an appetizer, an entire pizza, and several scoops of ice cream. This happened over and over again, that I couldn't finish a main dish, much less an entree (appetizer) or a dessert.

I think the main difference is that the French almost never eat snack foods, except for kids' afterschool gouter. One of the unfortunate stereotypes they have of Americans is that we nibble all day. They think that is bad for your digestion and that you should empty your stomach between meals. I think they're right.
I've never been to France, but I've seen those travelogue programs on tv, read a book about eating in France, and talked about this with a couple of friends who vacation there occasionally.

The French eat more than 3 times a day. They often eat 5 times a day....hence the smaller meals/portions. They are also more into the culinary quality than quantity. They also walk a lot more...they walk to the cafe, eat a normal midafternoon meal/snack, then walk to go shopping or walk home.

You may have eaten at a place that caters to tourists or Americans. We here in America buy whole pizzas. It's possible that pizza you bought was intended for two or more to share.

Their sizes may not be miniscule, though. They basically eat what the human body needs...meat portion size is 3-4 oz, same as here...BUT most Americans don't stick to what the body needs; they eat more, generally. And like you said, Americans eat a lot of chips & other junk food.

The U S is the only 1st World country on a list of the top 20 most overweight/obese countries on earth.

I remember when I was a kid, there weren't many overweight kids in class. I was one of them for a while. Now, quite a few kids are overweight/obese. I read that a high # of children have diabetes and all the other syndrome symptoms of overweight/obesity. I saw a group of elementary school kids somewhere & was shocked at how many were very overweight. This is a big problem. Even if one doesn't care about the health of others or children, imagine what our health care costs will be when these kids grow up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 11:18 AM

6,322 posts, read 3,154,170 times
Another "punch that skunk" post by the OP who then runs away to find some other ridiculous trivial topic start on another forum.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:29 AM

10,476 posts, read 6,663,131 times
They quote ridiculously small serving sizes so they can mislead (lie) to you about the excess sugar (corn syrup), salt, and other additives put in. "Hey we told you the portion size was just one chip." But "no one can eat just one."

Old 07-31-2022, 07:38 AM

8,122 posts, read 3,373,509 times
I was in PAris,it is true,everything tastes good -the portions are smaller than ours.
They also have those roadside stalls where they make you pancake with filling-shrimp,ham,cheese,strawberry

Old 07-31-2022, 07:53 AM

6,322 posts, read 3,154,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
They quote ridiculously small serving sizes so they can mislead (lie) to you about the excess sugar (corn syrup), salt, and other additives put in. "Hey we told you the portion size was just one chip." But "no one can eat just one."

The labels portray the standardized serving size. If you eat too much, that's not the fault of the potato chip.

All one has to do is actually read the labels and do some basic easy math in your head. If you can't do basic multiplication in your head, you've probably already ingested too many potato chips.

Here's a primer on how to figure out the nutrition label and your eating habits:

Pringles Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Container About 4.5
Serving Size About 12 Crisps (28 g) Notice- not 1 chip, but 12 chips, probably a decent portion, but I digress.

Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 150 (Whole tube contains 150x4.5 = approx. 700 calories. If you eat half a tube at one sitting, you've ingested 350 calories.)

Total Fat 9 g (Whole tube contains approx. 40 g of fat. If you eat half a tube, you've ingested 20 g of fat.)

Sodium 190 mg (Whole tube contains approx. 900 mg. If you eat half a tube, you've ingested ______mg of sodium)
Spoiler
450mg of sodium

I think you're ready for the supermarket now!

Old 07-31-2022, 04:37 PM

3,738 posts, read 3,684,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I've never been to France, but I've seen those travelogue programs on tv, read a book about eating in France, and talked about this with a couple of friends who vacation there occasionally.

The French eat more than 3 times a day. They often eat 5 times a day....hence the smaller meals/portions. They are also more into the culinary quality than quantity. They also walk a lot more...they walk to the cafe, eat a normal midafternoon meal/snack, then walk to go shopping or walk home.

You may have eaten at a place that caters to tourists or Americans. We here in America buy whole pizzas. It's possible that pizza you bought was intended for two or more to share.

Their sizes may not be miniscule, though. They basically eat what the human body needs...meat portion size is 3-4 oz, same as here...BUT most Americans don't stick to what the body needs; they eat more, generally. And like you said, Americans eat a lot of chips & other junk food.

The U S is the only 1st World country on a list of the top 20 most overweight/obese countries on earth.

I remember when I was a kid, there weren't many overweight kids in class. I was one of them for a while. Now, quite a few kids are overweight/obese. I read that a high # of children have diabetes and all the other syndrome symptoms of overweight/obesity. I saw a group of elementary school kids somewhere & was shocked at how many were very overweight. This is a big problem. Even if one doesn't care about the health of others or children, imagine what our health care costs will be when these kids grow up.
I was all over France for a month, including in many places that almost never see American tourists. I ate a lot of pizzas and they were all served whole and were usually the size of a medium American pizza or larger. In general, sharing dishes is not a thing in France and neither is taking leftovers from the restaurant. I took photos of most of my meals, so I can refer back to them for portion sizes.

I don't know where you're getting your information that French people eat 5 times a day. That is not my experience. Breakfast is relatively small--mostly bread and maybe fruit and yogurt, with orange juice and coffee with milk or hot chocolate. The main meal of the day, usually at midday, is most often three or four courses. As I said, kids will eat an afterschool snack to tide them over to a relatively late light evening meal. Adults may have coffee all day, but most of the French people I know say that adult snacking is rare.

Quality over quantity rules, but portion sizes were definitely larger than I expected them to be--from north coast to south coast and everywhere in-between. Everywhere I went, I had trouble finishing the main course, which caused concern on the part of the servers who would think that I didn't like the food.

Snacking is becoming more common there now, with a strong pushback from people who see it as undermining the traditional French eating habits.

Here are the pizzas from that trip along with some other dishes. The portion sizes aren't huge, but they aren't small either. Now excuse me. Looking at all that food has made me hungry!
Attached Thumbnails
"serving size" one slice of bread-pizza1.jpg   "serving size" one slice of bread-pizza2.jpg   "serving size" one slice of bread-pizza3.jpg   "serving size" one slice of bread-caprese_salad.jpg   "serving size" one slice of bread-confit_canard.jpg  

"serving size" one slice of bread-coquilles.jpg   "serving size" one slice of bread-cotelette_porc.jpg   "serving size" one slice of bread-mousse_chocolat.jpg   "serving size" one slice of bread-tarte_pommes.jpg  

Old 08-01-2022, 08:25 AM

35,594 posts, read 41,702,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
A friend and I were discussing serving sizes.

A serving of meat should be the size of a deck of cards. I would starve eating a piece of fish or turkey or anything the size of a deck of cards. Being pre-diabetic, I cannot have starches, fruits or breads with it. Just veggies.

So that would be a quick weight loss way of eating.

Recommended serving sizes are small but I don't think anyone follows them.
I have followed them for the last 20 years. Lunch for me is 3 or 4 oz of grilled chicken with bbq sauce, or maybe a slice of cheese on it. Or a serving of brocolli rice. I have never starved LOL. Most people eat way way too much. And then they wonder why they are fat.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:29 AM

9,968 posts, read 15,668,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I feel like "serving size" is a misnomer. It's not really meant to be the amount that someone would typically eat. It's really just establishing a basic unit with which to make the nutrition information usable for most people. As a diabetic, I appreciate knowing the carbs and fiber one slice of bread.
My daughter in law went by serving size on everything she ate when she was trying to lose weight. She lost 25 pounds in a few weeks by just sticking to the serving size.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:44 AM

133 posts, read 32,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

From the website:
"Some serving sizes have changed on the new Nutrition Facts label. By law, serving sizes must be based on the amount of food people typically consume, rather than how much they should consume. Serving sizes have been updated to reflect the amount people typically eat and drink today. For example, based on the review of relevant information such as nationwide surveys of the amounts of foods Americans eat, the serving size for soda has changed from 8 ounces to 12 ounces. "

I love it when the Federales try to figure out what people consume. Sometimes they get it right, other times...
Most of those serving sizes that were adjusted have to do with low-nutrition junk food. The guidelines for healthy foods are pretty much the same as they were decades ago. Don't blame the government because people choose to overeat garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have followed them for the last 20 years. Lunch for me is 3 or 4 oz of grilled chicken with bbq sauce, or maybe a slice of cheese on it. Or a serving of brocolli rice. I have never starved LOL. Most people eat way way too much. And then they wonder why they are fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My daughter in law went by serving size on everything she ate when she was trying to lose weight. She lost 25 pounds in a few weeks by just sticking to the serving size.
Exactly. The portion sizes and nutrition guidelines are for health. The vast majority of people who follow them are normal weight, and by that a TRUE normal, healthy weight, not "average," which in America is overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink