Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 01:30 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times

Advertisements

I had to share a post I just saw on Facebook.

"If the bag is not resealable, then it contains one serving.
I don't make the rules"

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 07:00 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,364 times
What is crazy to me is the Ramen noodles in the package. there is a block of dry noodles and flavoring packet. The serving size is 1/2 the package. Just how do you do that? And why are the calories so high for that stuff?????

Old 08-02-2022, 08:16 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
What is crazy to me is the Ramen noodles in the package. there is a block of dry noodles and flavoring packet. The serving size is 1/2 the package. Just how do you do that? And why are the calories so high for that stuff?????
Are you not romantic? Haven't you ever heard of "Some Ramenchanted Evening"? Sharing the slurp of your noodles is a right of passage.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:46 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I had to share a post I just saw on Facebook.

"If the bag is not resealable, then it contains one serving.
I don't make the rules"

lol
No wonder so many Americans are fat. The vast majority of "resealable" packages on the market today are incapable of it. The only way you can close up the remaining contents is to put the package inside another that DOES work.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:02 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
A friend and I were discussing serving sizes.

A serving of meat should be the size of a deck of cards. I would starve eating a piece of fish or turkey or anything the size of a deck of cards. Being pre-diabetic, I cannot have starches, fruits or breads with it. Just veggies.

So that would be a quick weight loss way of eating.

Recommended serving sizes are small but I don't think anyone follows them.
Well, it’s a guideline. It’s not a law. If you are a 200 and some odd pound man who pushes dumpsters and heaves large items around for a living like a garbage man, your caloric intake is going to be much higher than the 5‘2“ secretary who sits on her can all day typing. It makes sense right?

Men and women have different caloric needs. And for some strange reason we have become an extremely literal society. If you are that 200 and some odd pound man who flings garbage around all day, you’re going to need maybe 5 ounces or 6 ounces of meat at a meal, and some more veggies. What’s your not going to need is one of those restaurant size 42 ounce steaks “if you finish it your meal is free” kind of things every night.

The problem is we have become a no cook super size fast food world. It’s obvious to me that no one knows what it serving size is anymore. If you look at our dinnerware, the plates have more or less remained the same size, but the bowls and cups are immense. I got married in 1983, my soup cereal bowls in 1983 were about 6 inches and held about 10 ounces. As life goes on your bowls break.

When I went to buy bowls around 2004, my pattern was discontinued, and I had to pick a new one. The bowls now carry 24 to 28 ounces in every pattern I saw. And when you’re not really paying attention, you’re gonna fill that sucker. And you are going to eat too much. We made the new bowls the cat dishes, and I switched to Fiesta ware, and I did mail order to get the small bowls. Because what was available in the stores? Huge bowls.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:42 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I often get fast food biscuits for breakfast.

This sounds weird, but I'll often take off the bottom of the biscuit and just eat the top half of the biscuit with the meat. I get the biscuit taste that way without the extra calories.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,249 times
serving size is a rough guideline, but most Americans are too fat and should whittle down rather than up on the portions. If that makes me Pontius Pilate by siding with the FDA, well OK.

if 1 slice of bread is a serving size, consider tortillas are also "1 is a serving" and have gotten smaller and are now 8-10 in a pkg, not a dozen.

I went thru the McDonalds drive thru last year, I ASKED for a small coke and they told me "we dont really have small... the smallest is medium". That was a moment.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:05 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
serving size is a rough guideline, but most Americans are too fat and should whittle down rather than up on the portions. If that makes me Pontius Pilate by siding with the FDA, well OK.

if 1 slice of bread is a serving size, consider tortillas are also "1 is a serving" and have gotten smaller and are now 8-10 in a pkg, not a dozen.

I went thru the McDonalds drive thru last year, I ASKED for a small coke and they told me "we dont really have small... the smallest is medium". That was a moment.
That is an old concessionaire's trick. Most people will automatically order a regular or medium, which gets upsized and up-priced, and the small is relabeled "child size." No joke, at one point in the movie theatres we sold a 64 oz drink in a modified milk carton that allowed for a couple of straws.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:10 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I never go by what the serving size says LOL guess that why I need to loose a few pounds. When I see those commercials for hello fresh or other meal company I laugh because they say it serves 2. What! I agree we all need to eat less and move more but come on. Can you really eat just a handful of chips?

Old 08-04-2022, 10:31 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post

I've gotten tortillas as small as 4" across, and as large as 12" across. I usually buy 6" tortillas, in a pack of 24, then freeze them to use as needed.

You can do the math to figure out equivalencies.
6" diameter x Pi (3.14) = 18.84 square inches in area.
12" tortillas are about twice as large
4" are about 12.5 sq inches, 8" are twice that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink