Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:11 AM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Does anyone really consult the "serving size" on the back of the package before deciding how much to eat?

I know people who will check the amount of sodium, or grams of sugar, etc., if they have special dietary needs. Or they may be counting calories. But no one I ever heard of studied the ingredient panel on a loaf of bread and said, "Well, the serving size is one slice, so I'll just have one slice. Because it says so."

As for non-resealable packages being just one serving, that's obviously not true. A box of crackers with a non-resealable inner bag may say it's five or six servings. But then who believes everything they read on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 11:15 AM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
That is an old concessionaire's trick. Most people will automatically order a regular or medium, which gets upsized and up-priced, and the small is relabeled "child size." No joke, at one point in the movie theatres we sold a 64 oz drink in a modified milk carton that allowed for a couple of straws.

I routinely order a children's cone at the ice cream stores. It's usually a true single scoop - meaning one run through the ice cream vat.

The regular "small" or one-scoop serving is the children's size with one or two more trips through the ice cream vat. Totally unnecessary.

Here are some Cups & Cones prices from Baskin Robbins. You will note that the Small is called Kids.

Kids $1.77
Regular $2.22
Large $3.34

Old 08-04-2022, 12:52 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Does anyone really consult the "serving size" on the back of the package before deciding how much to eat?

I know people who will check the amount of sodium, or grams of sugar, etc., if they have special dietary needs. Or they may be counting calories. But no one I ever heard of studied the ingredient panel on a loaf of bread and said, "Well, the serving size is one slice, so I'll just have one slice. Because it says so."

As for non-resealable packages being just one serving, that's obviously not true. A box of crackers with a non-resealable inner bag may say it's five or six servings. But then who believes everything they read on Facebook.
I have. I will multiply the serving size by the number of servings to get the total calories (or whatever) for the whole package. Then I know how many calories I am taking in by how much I actually consume. So, it doesn't matter if it says four servings at X calories per package. If I eat half, I ate half the total calories.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
What is crazy to me is the Ramen noodles in the package. there is a block of dry noodles and flavoring packet. The serving size is 1/2 the package. Just how do you do that? And why are the calories so high for that stuff?????
And who actually eats that stuff to begin with?

I've heard of ramen on City-Data, and then I noticed it in the store, but I do not think I've ever met anyone who actually ate it.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:15 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have. I will multiply the serving size by the number of servings to get the total calories (or whatever) for the whole package. Then I know how many calories I am taking in by how much I actually consume. So, it doesn't matter if it says four servings at X calories per package. If I eat half, I ate half the total calories.
Right. Of course. But if the loaf of bread says a slice is one serving, do you use that fact to choose to take only one slice instead two? I don't think most people do that. If they want a sandwich with two slices of bread, they're going to take two regardless of whatever a "serving" is supposed to be according to the package.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Right. Of course. But if the loaf of bread says a slice is one serving, do you use that fact to choose to take only one slice instead two? I don't think most people do that. If they want a sandwich with two slices of bread, they're going to take two regardless of whatever a "serving" is supposed to be according to the package.
No, of course not.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:37 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:

I do. I’m diabetic. After a while it becomes second nature if that food becomes a part of my diet.

I was taught to count carbs. I learned here to eat to my meter. I’ve been diabetic for years and pretty much I’ve kept my A1c under seven. Under times of stress I reach for sugar and carbs. Chocolate and donuts are my drugs of choice. And especially Krispy Kreme‘s cream filled chocolate covered donuts. Once a month treat, unless stressed. I just moved and switched that to Giant Eagle’s maple iced, cream filled Long John donut.

So yeah, occasionally I’ve gone over seven.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:20 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

I check the nutritional content on packages before I even purchase them.

As for bread, I already know the nutritional value of it before I decide to eat it. I'm pretty conscientious about my diet (meaning food intake - not weight loss).

Old 08-05-2022, 11:24 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And who actually eats that stuff to begin with?

I've heard of ramen on City-Data, and then I noticed it in the store, but I do not think I've ever met anyone who actually ate it.
Oh my. My son and nephews LOVE it. They lived off of it in college LOL. And today there are so many very good varieties.

Shin Ramyun Black is killer. I make it and add chicken. Soooo good. Would never have known about it if my son had not enlightened me!

https://nongshimusa.com/homev2/our-p...nd/shin-black/

Old 08-05-2022, 07:32 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've gotten tortillas as small as 4" across, and as large as 12" across. I usually buy 6" tortillas, in a pack of 24, then freeze them to use as needed.

You can do the math to figure out equivalencies.
6" diameter x Pi (3.14) = 18.84 square inches in area.
12" tortillas are about twice as large
4" are about 12.5 sq inches, 8" are twice that.
Oops, this is the second time lately that I've messed up the math.
Pi x diameter is circumference, not area. π r squared is area.
A 6" tortilla is 3x3xπ, about 28 square inches.
A 12" tortilla is 113 square inches, more than 4 times as large as a tortilla half it's diameter.
Kind of awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink