U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:35 AM

403 posts, read 154,923 times

Advertisements

Forget about the sneaky downsizing what the heck serving size ONE slice of bread? Can you be anymore dishonest and deceptive, can you food industry, can you reach a new low?

Can you show a big nice plate of food in the picture then put something nothing like it in the box?

Low lives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 11:01 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,047,702 times
A friend and I were discussing serving sizes.

A serving of meat should be the size of a deck of cards. I would starve eating a piece of fish or turkey or anything the size of a deck of cards. Being pre-diabetic, I cannot have starches, fruits or breads with it. Just veggies.

So that would be a quick weight loss way of eating.

Recommended serving sizes are small but I don't think anyone follows them.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:25 PM

18,901 posts, read 12,470,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Forget about the sneaky downsizing what the heck serving size ONE slice of bread? Can you be anymore dishonest and deceptive, can you food industry, can you reach a new low?

Can you show a big nice plate of food in the picture then put something nothing like it in the box?

Low lives.
Wow, another vitriolic thread over something no one's forcing you to buy. Screeching about pockets on women's shorts, vaping products, refurbished computers, the anathema of voluntary retail rewards programs, now this. You really need to find a way to cool those jets, OP. If you allow minutiae like this to outrage you so much, you may not survive to worry about it very long. Maybe the underlying reason you find the modern world such a terrible place isn't this or that perceived demonic consumer product but your blood sugar. Hope you find some peace somewhere.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-28-2022 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 03:52 PM

5,613 posts, read 5,293,882 times
I frequently use only one slice of bread as opposed to 2.

But I don't disagree with your overall sentiment that many serving sizes are unreasonably small.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:55 PM

15,736 posts, read 10,321,871 times
I feel like "serving size" is a misnomer. It's not really meant to be the amount that someone would typically eat. It's really just establishing a basic unit with which to make the nutrition information usable for most people. As a diabetic, I appreciate knowing the carbs and fiber one slice of bread.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:19 PM

9,524 posts, read 6,227,428 times
So what? If the company’s notion of one serving is too small, eat “two servings.” We run into this frequently and laugh at it. The frozen pizza serves four, really? We split it and polish it off easily.

It IS weird, though, because a fast food place’s notion of, say, a medium drink, is often a large serving to me.

What is one serving for a young, very physically active adult won’t be the same as one serving for a sedentary senior citizen.

Back in the 50s and 60s the typical burger patty at a sit-down restaurant supposedly was 3 oz. Now 8 oz is often the standard size. Just right for me at age 25, usually too much now that I’m old.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:48 PM

9,633 posts, read 4,091,815 times
customers are complaining about size of serving.
usually meat or fish,but not bread.
May be they just run out of bread.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:57 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,408,632 times
I'm totally on board with one slice of bread being one serving size. As long as they concede that a 6-pack of beer and a half gallon of ice cream are also single serving sizes.
burp!!!

Old 07-28-2022, 06:26 PM

16,165 posts, read 25,598,310 times
The BBQ chicken pizza at Trader Joe's was a staple in our house for quite a while. I once read the box, and it said that one serving is 1/3 of the pizza. I shrugged my shoulders, and kept making a separate pizza for each one of us. Call me a glutton, I guess.

Old 07-29-2022, 01:22 AM

53,636 posts, read 75,165,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
A friend and I were discussing serving sizes.

A serving of meat should be the size of a deck of cards. I would starve eating a piece of fish or turkey or anything the size of a deck of cards. Being pre-diabetic, I cannot have starches, fruits or breads with it. Just veggies.

So that would be a quick weight loss way of eating.

Recommended serving sizes are small but I don't think anyone follows them.

The serving sizes are kept so small so you won't get shocked by the calories/sodium/sugar/fat amounts.
Who eats a 1/3 of a canned food. Or drink 6-8 oz of beverage?? Or eat 1" cube of cheese? Or get satisfied with 8 oz TV dinner?
Nobody.
Look at the huge serving plates and 64floz mugs... Those small portions would barely stain them and definitely look very sad on those plates.

Sales gimmicks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink