U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 11:54 PM

15,560 posts, read 2,459,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
What do you consider the best meal(s) you ever had? Please preface with 1. or 2. when responding.

1. The best food - and ONLY the food! Descriptions encouraged.

2. The best overall experience - wax on about anything and everything that made it memorable.

1. My first Seafood Stuffed Baked Lobster at Red Lobster. It was cooked to a nice rusty orange, and tasted great.

2. When I made my own Seafood Stuffed Baked Lobster at home. My version blew Red Lobsters out of the tank.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 12:49 AM

4,370 posts, read 4,465,739 times
2nd day after giving birth. I was ravenous ! Nurse came in and asked if I wanted an extra tray. Hell yeah I didn't eat last night because I was damn tired.
I had what had to be the Best damn Breakfast on the face of the earth!

4 pancakes dripping in syrup, 2 plates of hashbrowns, 4 scrambled eggs, 4 pieces of buttered toast, 4 pieces of Bacon, 2 glasses of orange juice. I practically licked the plates clean. I happened to catch a glimpse of myself in the huge hospital room windows and I looked like a savage inhaling all that food.
I didn't give a damn! I deserved that scrumptious hot breakfast and no one was going to tell me a damn thing!

I just pushed out an 8 lb healthy baby girl and I was on top of the world with swollen breasts, swollen you know what and hormones all over the damn place.

Life was great and this breakfast was my effing reward! BEST DAMN BREAKFAST OF MY LIFE!

Old 07-31-2022, 07:24 AM

10,476 posts, read 6,663,131 times
I've had some wonderful meals of all kinds of foods. And I love so many different cuisines, there's something about each that makes it special. Picking out a best meal is next to impossible there have been so many great one.

But, there's one I always come back to. Though I've tried, I've never been able to duplicate the flavor. It was a simple meal of BBQ beans and fried cornbread. The beans, your basic white navy beans, simmered all day with onions and fatback. Enough to be a wonderful meal by itself. But that was just the base. To that was added a lot of good, slow cooked, old fashioned Carolina whole hog BBQ. Not this modern overcooked mushy pulled pork but whole hog slow roasted in a pit, then chopped and mixed, so that each bit size morsal brought out the best flavor of the hog. Nice crispy bits of bark throughout the mix. Very light tang of the Carolina vinegar sauce. All mixed into those beans. A bit of tomato, molasses, hot peppers, and seasonings added in and simmered all afternoon to blend the flavors and build a wonderful texture between soup and beans, neither liquid nor solid. Simply classic. All served over a piece of fried southern cornbread straight out of the bacon grease.

I ate that until I was sick it was so good. I've tried to duplicate it but can't. I suspect the missing ingredient is the old fashion pit cooked whole hog. Pulled pork just doesn't have the same taste and texture.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:18 AM

67,149 posts, read 50,077,970 times
1) Too many to pick just one

2) Christmas Eve dinner at my paternal grandparents' home with many Ukrainian dishes, stuffed cabbage, varenyky(Ukrainian pierogi), kielbasa, grated beets with horseradish, black bread, all wonderfully cooked on a huge cast iron stove with no controls (Grandma was a genius ) with company as good as the food.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:41 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,047,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I've had some wonderful meals of all kinds of foods. And I love so many different cuisines, there's something about each that makes it special. Picking out a best meal is next to impossible there have been so many great one.

But, there's one I always come back to. Though I've tried, I've never been able to duplicate the flavor. It was a simple meal of BBQ beans and fried cornbread. The beans, your basic white navy beans, simmered all day with onions and fatback. Enough to be a wonderful meal by itself. But that was just the base. To that was added a lot of good, slow cooked, old fashioned Carolina whole hog BBQ. Not this modern overcooked mushy pulled pork but whole hog slow roasted in a pit, then chopped and mixed, so that each bit size morsal brought out the best flavor of the hog. Nice crispy bits of bark throughout the mix. Very light tang of the Carolina vinegar sauce. All mixed into those beans. A bit of tomato, molasses, hot peppers, and seasonings added in and simmered all afternoon to blend the flavors and build a wonderful texture between soup and beans, neither liquid nor solid. Simply classic. All served over a piece of fried southern cornbread straight out of the bacon grease.

I ate that until I was sick it was so good. I've tried to duplicate it but can't. I suspect the missing ingredient is the old fashion pit cooked whole hog. Pulled pork just doesn't have the same taste and texture.
My God that sounds beyond amazing!!! And yes, the secret was definitely the hog. Pulled pork is not quite the same... I would have eaten until i was sick as well LOL...

Old 07-31-2022, 12:48 PM

4,493 posts, read 2,951,408 times
1. steak, mashed potatoes, homemade gravy and vegetables, all canned and

2. brought up from the basement to cook that day by my cousin in Peoria, Illinois in 1974. I still remember that meal. A good old midwestern amazing meal, that probably in't appreciated by those who grew up with it as much as a kid whose mom worked fulltime in an urban area, and didn't have access to freshly butchered beef, canning things (or growing a garden). We also didn't have a basement

Old 07-31-2022, 01:03 PM

9,062 posts, read 4,803,457 times
When I first read this thread, I couldn't pick one meal. But I had a lovely dinner last night at El Charro in Tucson.
The REYNOSA CHICKEN was delicious:
grilled chicken breast topped with cremosa chipotle and part skim queso casero. Served with frijoles charros & arroz sonora (I didn't eat either of those), and a mix of yellow squash and zucchini.
MMMMMMM, so good!

Old 07-31-2022, 01:16 PM

29,809 posts, read 49,455,295 times
Best food: Filet Mignon and white chocolate ice cream (with actual chocolate chunks melted in) at Cafe Fiore in South Lake Tahoe, CA. I don't eat steak anymore, but the thought of that still makes my mouth water!

Experience: Toss-up between shish-kebabs at a food stand in Istanbul, or the gnocchi and wine at this restaurant overlooking all of Rome. Both recommended by locals while traveling with my mother, about 22 years ago. The latter was on a mountaintop with a view of the entire city, and that gnocchi was supposed to be my appetizer... but a few bites in, I knew I wouldn't be able to eat anything else and canceled my entree.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:28 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,344,267 times
So hard to just pick one but I think mine was a memorable spring day when my BIL and I caught a limit apiece of crappie that morning and in the afternoon gathered a large paper bag full of morels.
MIL made yeast rolls and the family feasted on fried crappie and battered deep fried morels, tossed salad and warm yeast rolls.

Another favorite was a seafood meal I had in La Paz, Mexico. The fish was grilled and covered in a tomato based sauce with sides of chili toreados and corn on the cob.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 PM

35,585 posts, read 41,702,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is a two-parter. Please keep part one ONLY ONLY about the food, and part two about the situation surrounding the meal and anything else that is relevant.

What do you consider the best meal(s) you ever had? Please preface with 1. or 2. when responding.

1. The best food - and ONLY the food! Descriptions encouraged.

2. The best overall experience - wax on about anything and everything that made it memorable.

I have a hard time quantifying my own experience and need to think and review in my own mind before answering, but thinking about it will bring back some good memories for me, as I hope happens for you.
I could not possible name one as the best. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink