Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 04:20 PM

8,297 posts, read 3,872,379 times

Advertisements

San Angelo Texas in the early 80's, was down there at the Goodyear Proving Grounds.

Some small diner there served a steak that was so huge it lapped off the edge of the plate. It was fresh local beef, and was by far the best steak I've ever had in my life, better than Morton's by a long shot. And it was CHEAP, as I remember $10 or so.

I've often dreamed of going back down there just for a steak, but have never made the trip. I am sure it's all different now and you probably can't find beefsteaks like that any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 04:49 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,036,614 times
I was fortunate to travel in Latin America many times and occasionally to Europe & China. I’ve had better steaks in São Paulo and Buenos Aires than anywhere else in the world. After one trip to SP, when I ate at a different high end churrascaria every single day, I gave up meat for a month. I overdid it a bit.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:30 PM

7,068 posts, read 12,577,177 times
The genuine Philadelphia cheese steak at the little hometown hoagie place in my PA town. Simple pleasures are the best...

Old 08-01-2022, 03:03 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,192,515 times
Chinese buffet in Brandon, South Dakota, which had orange and ginger chicken. This would technically be the best meal I've ever had as far as the sheer enjoyment of the food.

Second place would be going to Cold Stone Creamery, and getting either a "cake batter and shake" or a "Dough-lightful Peanut Butter" signature creation. The creaminess of the ice cream combined with the extra ingredients makes for an irresistible combination that gets my dopamine receptors skyrocketing.

Third place would be the shasi palace indian buffet in Sioux Falls SD.

I should travel a bit more. I love foods from other cultures. I love lots of spices and seasonings. About the only thing I don't like is pickled/vinegary foods.

I love a good steak but wouldn't want to live off steak. Indian food is some of my favorite, because of the seasonings. Like anything, you get used to it after awhile, so it becomes normal, which is why it's nice to have these foods only once in a while.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:33 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,192,547 times
Ok, no laughing. There are two meals stuck in my mind, that when I think about them, I smile.
A friend and I were in Roanoke, Alabama about noon and we stopped at a KFC. A chicken breast and a biscuit.
I was in Mobile attending a school and someone asked where to get good raw oysters. The name
Wintzell's Oyster House came up. We went and I ate my first raw oysters, I have never forgotten , they were really good.
I told you not to laugh.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,142,017 times
My best meal was some kind of Indian ocean species of crab that I had in Mombasa, Kenya.

I grew up in Maryland and have lived on the West Coast for 35 years, so I've had some good crabs. But this one was exceptional. It was large, and far more flavorful than a Dungeness crab. It had some kind of savory dip that was excellent.

The other reason I probably liked it so much was that I was in Kenya for 4 months doing field work, and it was the only time we were able to eat in a really nice restaurant. It was on the water, and had a cool, casual tropical vibe.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:09 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,117,521 times
I was lucky enough to work in the travel industry and could take cruises on the cheap. This was way back in the day (1970s) when they were very personal and classy, not the mega resort ships of today. Best meal, Lobster thermidor followed by Beef Wellington. Second amazing meal was at a local restaurant, not a chain. Duck a l'orange, stuffed mashed potato with toasted cheese bread.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:42 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,073,574 times
Just one of the best meals I’ve ever had was in a Five Star German restaurant in NY.

It was a Chateaubriand Oscar with potato pancakes which is a filet mignon stuffed with crab meat and topped with asparagus covered with a hollandaise sauce, it was memorable ❗️

Old 08-03-2022, 03:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,156 posts, read 80,258,802 times
1. The best food was when I was on a business trip to Las Vegas in 2010, and my co-workers and I decided to go to dinner at the Top of Binion's Steak House. I had the 8 oz. Filet Mignon, with baked potato and vegetables. I had eaten steak at restaurants before, but not at such a high quality of beef and preparation. There may well be better steaks somewhere, but I haven't had them. Normally back then I wouldn't spend $40 for a steak but it was on the company credit card. Now, of course, the same thing is $70 according to their menu.

2. The best overall experience was a dinner in about 1978, with my wife and another couple in San Francisco, at a Chinese restaurant. It was the first time I ate Eggplant, (Eggplant with Garlic Sauce) and we had several other fairly common Chinese dishes, but this was far better than the usual, less expensive places we normally at in the East Bay. The bill for 4 was over $100, and that was a lot back then. What made it special was the company, friends that we are still in contact with regularly today though living in different states. They had just gotten married, and though I had known him since we were babies, had lost touch for about a decade.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:30 PM

8,073 posts, read 9,998,892 times
Lunch at La Chèvre d’Or
https://www.chevredor.com/restaurant...et-restaurant/

Dinner at L’Hostellerie Bressane
https://hillsdalehistorians.wordpres...brief-history/

Dinner at Orpheus Ascending
https://books.google.com/books?id=z3...x%20ma&f=false
Stormy summer evening...heavy rain, eating on the covered porch. Enjoying a fine dry white burgundy, and the electricity went out. Our food was already cooked, and we ate by candlelight.

More recently....La Cucina
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...9004446&ref=hl

I live to eat...not eat to live.

Last edited by Ted Bear; 08-03-2022 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink