U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 08:06 PM

21,690 posts, read 64,641,343 times

Advertisements

This is a two-parter. Please keep part one ONLY ONLY about the food, and part two about the situation surrounding the meal and anything else that is relevant.

What do you consider the best meal(s) you ever had? Please preface with 1. or 2. when responding.

1. The best food - and ONLY the food! Descriptions encouraged.

2. The best overall experience - wax on about anything and everything that made it memorable.

I have a hard time quantifying my own experience and need to think and review in my own mind before answering, but thinking about it will bring back some good memories for me, as I hope happens for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 08:16 PM

1,338 posts, read 572,962 times
1 this evening I grilled some prime Angus boneless prime rib steak and half a seasoned chicken. 2 Another Ending of a yet another fine day . 3 The martini was excellent !!

Old 07-30-2022, 06:47 AM

22,839 posts, read 14,426,410 times
My first Dim Sum lunch experience in Hong Kong in the mid-1990s. Typical downtown business lunch place up one level from street level in an office building. White tablecloth and carts. A lunch break from a business meeting. It’s all pretty mainstream now but everything that came off a cart was amazing and better than the last thing. It was the usuals. Sticky rice in lotus leaf with all the little treasures like bits of sausage and chicken. The hargow steamed shrimp in rice wrapper. Shumai pork dumplings. The cha siu bao steamed bbq pork buns came out last. One bite of flavor explosion and a “What’s this?” “Chinese hamburgers”.

I’ve had lots of food art meals where it’s designed to appeal to all your senses but for pure memorable food experience I’d never had before, that Dim Sum lunch wins easily.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:09 AM

1,924 posts, read 447,977 times
Years ago, I had a dish of grilled vegetables dressed with basil pesto at a small Italian restaurant in Northern California. It was the dish that convinced me I could happily become a vegetarian, and so I did. Full disclosure: I am not now a vegetarian, but I still cook that way six days out of seven.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:21 AM

19,670 posts, read 27,879,606 times
It’s a three way tie
Lobsters and steamer clams cooked/smoked in seaweed
With butter -and I dry aged a prime angus rib eye
And then grilled for a family function
All three of these are food of the gods

Food experience….
Another tie -
First is I came from a poor fishing family along the coast … we worked and worked as boys
Growing up.. but one holiday.. we went all out .. the 4th of July
We would prep for this for days…. Dig clams, catch the mackerel, catch the lobsters
And we’d take the family out to an uninhabited island and have an old fashioned lobster bake
Cooking everything in seaweed… it took hours to pick the seaweed and collect enough wood
We have family home movies of this and it’s kinda sad seeing it because most aren’t around anymore…. But we loved these holidays growing up!!!
The food was so good that we harvested ourselves..

Honorable mention…. I never was taken to a restaurant growing up so I made it a point
To bring my son to one every week
On Sunday mornings we’d go to this local place and I’d let him choose anything he wanted even if it was ice cream…. On more than a few occasions we both had nothing but a giant
Hot fudge sundae….. all the other kids in the place were wanted to be at our table!! But I just remembering how good that ice cream was … and what a great time we had ( he’s 30 now a pharmacist and a health nut no damage was done!)

Old 07-30-2022, 11:54 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,048,390 times
Funny, when i think of all the expensive restaurants, occasions etc...

My favorite meals...my husband's grandmother was full blooded Puerto rican and could make some FOOD...

pasteles, rice and beans and chicken, all homemade and so so so very good. She's passed on and no one could cook like her.... you always left with a full tummy and smiling.....and a tupperware of MORE food!

Old 07-30-2022, 12:24 PM

21,690 posts, read 64,641,343 times
After reflection, I think mine is also ribeye steak, rubbed with ginger, soy sauce, and garlic powder and then grilled over open flame. When I thought about memorable meals, that kept coming up, with prime rib a second place.

Most memorable was actually a series of meals. When I was starting out as a projectionist at a theatre, there was a matinee at 2 pm and the evening shows started at 7 pm. In between about 4 pm and 6:15 pm there was a clot of free time for the staff that was too short to do anything useful and too long to just sit around.

The doorman's father had some undeveloped land along a local creek, and the doorman, cashier, concession worker, and I would stop at the supermarket next to the theatre, buy steak and salad fixin's and potato salad, and bring my little hibachi down to that patch of land and picnic by the water, lay in the sun, and maybe play a little badminton.

Those were days when we were young and I was not yet a manager and having to be directive. The comraderies and shared fun and lack of status seeking made the food all that much better. Sadly, the doorman went on to college, the emotional distance required to be a good manager made continuing the close friendships impossible, and later meals didn't have that same sweetness.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:40 PM

20,367 posts, read 20,521,147 times
There have been many, but I’ve had some excellent steak dinners in Salt Lake City, Houston, Seattle, Atlanta, California Wine Country/Northern California, Chicago, Las Vegas, Portland, Denver, and Los Angeles. I usually like prime rib, a rib eye or a New York Strip with a glass of Cabernet.

I recall being in Tokyo back in 2005 on a business trip and we were working on a deal/project with a Japanese company. Our team took their team out for a sushi meal at a high end Japanese sushi restaurant/bar. The sushi & service quality was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in my life - simply amazing.

Last edited by ccm123; 07-30-2022 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-30-2022, 02:04 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,506,261 times
Best meal? White Sea Bass that the kid caught a day before. Just stupid crazy how much better it was, as compared to the garbage available in restaurants, fish stores. Just a whole new ballgame.

I've grilled some steaks that were magic, but that's been years...

Old 07-30-2022, 02:09 PM

100,540 posts, read 8,425,642 times
Fresh soft boiled egg, with homemade brown bread & homemade wild blackberry jam.

At my Aunts rural home, where she grew everything herself

Also Mum used to make the most wonderful roast beef & Yorkshire puddings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink