U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 04:56 PM

52,339 posts, read 74,039,654 times

Advertisements

Most are history, but some are still around.
Food fads come and go, and chances are that you've forgotten about the long-gone goodies you bought decades ago.
Below is a list of '90s nostalgia food that either got prohibited or canceled, with few still selling in the shops today. Are there any discontinued snacks from the ‘90s that were your favorites?
Anyone still craving them?

https://www.boredpanda.com/nostalgic-90s-food/

I liked Viennetta ice cream, and think that there is nothing wrong with square pizza...
just a dumb way to play with numbers
https://www.pmq.com/fda-tells-pizzerias-dont-be-square/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 12:22 AM

15,560 posts, read 2,459,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are there any discontinued snacks from the ‘90s that were your favorites?
Anyone still craving them?

Lets see, from their list I still get:

Royal Dansk Butter Cookies (A must for the holidays, or whenever I choose)
Bugles
Capri-Sun
Nestle Quik (I remember those old tin covers)
Potato Sticks
Squeezit (I get Kool-Aod or Countrytime)
Kool-Aid (occasionally)
Hostess Fruit Pies (I get the current version by Drakes, not as big)
Ice Cream cups (I get either Vanilla or Vanilla/Strawberry)
Trix Yogurt By Yoplait (when I'm in the mood)
Butterfinger BB's (when I'm in the mood)

I used to get these items, but don't anymore:

Handi-Snacks (the crackers are always stale)
Barnum’s Animal Crackers
Mr. Bones Candy
7UP (I don't drink any soda)
Gatorade (I don't drink pee water)
Candy Cigarettes (I don't chew gum)
Toaster Strudel (There all fluff, no taste)
Fla-Vor-Ice (I don't like these anymore, I prefer Slushies/Shaved Ice)
Melody Pops (I forgot all about these)
Push Up Pops
Ring Pops
Shark Bites
Choco Tacos (I never heard of these until recently)

Old 08-05-2022, 07:54 AM

18,517 posts, read 24,843,814 times
I'm looking at that list and seeing many of those products in my grocery stores. It's the packaging that has changed.

I miss banana nestles quik - a lot. I miss bonomo's Turkish taffy. (I think somebody bought the name, but the product is NOT the same at all.) The loss of Callard and Bowsers toffee is tragic.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-05-2022 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 08:28 AM

78,779 posts, read 72,819,344 times
I never liked those Royal Dansk Cookies. They are dry and hard. OK for dipping in tea but that's about it. Usually something someone would give as a gift at the holidays when they didn't know you very well.

I loved Bugles when I was a kid, which was certainly not in the 90s, lol. I would fill the inside with onion dip and then CRUNCH.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-05-2022 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 09:26 AM

20,358 posts, read 20,513,040 times
I enjoyed Bugles as a child, but haven’t had any in decades. This post brings back some fond memories of times past. (An internet search indicates that Bugles are still being made.)

Hostess Fruit Pies (apple, cherry and lemon flavors) were my favorite after school snacks.
In the ‘70’s, I would walk across the street to a “Mom & Pop” grocery store (near school) and buy a pie for a snack. If memory is correct, cost was 15 cents in those days. I bought one about 10 years ago and the quality and taste have sadly deteriorated, from what I recall.

Loved Nestle’s Quik, the product has been renamed.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,746,240 times
My aunt had no children. She would buy me those animal crackers back in the 50s. It had a carrying string that always broke instead of the cardboard handle in the 90s story.
The gold rush bubble gum in the cloth bag was around in the 60s. The Dansk butter cookies were good, especially the pretzel shape.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:26 AM

5,352 posts, read 3,156,396 times
Wow haven't seen a lot of these since the 90's. The melody pops and mr. bones are a throwback. the

Old 08-05-2022, 12:07 PM

20,358 posts, read 20,513,040 times
Handi-Snacks:: As a child, I recall carrying these during day hikes with my late father and my siblings. We would bring other snacks, such as candy bars, beef jerky, etc. to provide us with a quick source of energy. Haven’t had Handi-Snacks in decades.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:47 PM

9,204 posts, read 3,675,463 times
Kinder Surprise is still available outside the States. I have totally forgotten about gold nugget gum.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:20 PM

19,488 posts, read 17,008,057 times
what i really really really miss
is the Quaker Oatmeal French Vanilla flavor.

if i'd known it was going to be discontinued, i would have bought cases and cases of it.

i've gotten smarter though. I am not a hoarder, but since the pandemic, and so many supply chains interrupted, there are a few items that i will now stock up on when they are available. There is a bouillion cube that is kosher and made in Israel that i could not get for about two years, and when it became available again I bought about a two-year supply. Prices got crazy too and there are some items i just on principle won't buy any more because of ridiculous price hikes. There was a scone mix that i really liked, but it literally tripled in price, so I don't get it anymore. I am playing with scone recipes and making my own, which are decent. The secret is to add instant vanilla pudding powder to the mix. yummy. current favorite flavor is maple with raisins soaked in earl grey tea.

Currently i am on a butterscotch pudding kick, i can order kosher instant butterscotch pudding and so i have a few dozen boxes of that.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-05-2022 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink