U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 10:55 AM

136 posts, read 24,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Where do you see "expiration date"?
Oh okay I see what you're saying. I guess it's not an actual expiration date but a use by or sell by date.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 12:03 PM

10,478 posts, read 6,667,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My guess is fear (rational or not) of food poisoning, or worse.

Having had it once in my life (not due to canned goods) I'll not be disappointed if I never have it again.
Been there. Done that. Don't want to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Sell by date:
This date is determined by producers to inform sellers when to remove items from the shelves. The goal is to ensure consumers receive the item at its optimal quality, which can last for several days to several weeks past the date, depending on the item. Milk for instance, according to Consumer Reports, should last five to seven days past its sell-by date if stored properly.
[b]
I've heard that five to seven days thing before. But I've been burned too often by milk that didn't last a day beyond it's sell by date to trust it. I know how it was stored in my refrigerator but not how it was before that. Just had milk go bad way sooner than it was supposed to by the date that I don't keep it beyond that point. Not worth it.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:50 PM

21,003 posts, read 9,481,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I've heard that five to seven days thing before. But I've been burned too often by milk that didn't last a day beyond it's sell by date to trust it. I know how it was stored in my refrigerator but not how it was before that. Just had milk go bad way sooner than it was supposed to by the date that I don't keep it beyond that point. Not worth it.

Milk is touchy but I often buy marked down meats if I plan to use them within a few days.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:30 PM

35,599 posts, read 41,716,750 times
Quote:

Milk is easy. You can simply smell it. I only buy Fairlife now as I prefer the longer freshness date. But I had one go bad, really bad, on me, in my BF's fridge. Really weird - it was weeks before the date, but it had completely soured. That's the only time I have ever had milk go bad, early.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:25 AM

19,670 posts, read 27,879,606 times
I’ve had canned veggies 8 yrs beyond the date
Usually just serve for company

Had a home made jam for over 10 yrs … forgot I had it .. and gave it back to the same aunt
That gave it to me as a Christmas gift … bought her a wine and cheese gift basket and put that in it
…… she looked and looked at the jar …
I said… try some of what the professionals make “
“ this looks a lot like what I use to make” she said
Quite comical…

Old 08-19-2022, 09:33 AM

78,832 posts, read 72,861,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Milk is easy. You can simply smell it. I only buy Fairlife now as I prefer the longer freshness date. But I had one go bad, really bad, on me, in my BF's fridge. Really weird - it was weeks before the date, but it had completely soured. That's the only time I have ever had milk go bad, early.
That's funny. I just recently had that happen, too. The date was still days out, but the milk was chunky.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:05 AM

16,005 posts, read 25,399,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's funny. I just recently had that happen, too. The date was still days out, but the milk was chunky.
You just reminded me of this gem from a member who's been banned since 2015 - he posted fairly regularly on the Food forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/40079521-post33.html

Quote:
After a month or so, even pasteurized milk willl clabber. It gets lumpy and acquires a sour, but not necessarily unpleasant taste which can be overcome by adding a sweetener if you wish.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:19 AM

136 posts, read 24,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I’ve had canned veggies 8 yrs beyond the date
Usually just serve for company

Had a home made jam for over 10 yrs … forgot I had it .. and gave it back to the same aunt
That gave it to me as a Christmas gift … bought her a wine and cheese gift basket and put that in it
…… she looked and looked at the jar …
I said… try some of what the professionals make “
“ this looks a lot like what I use to make” she said
Quite comical…

Old 08-19-2022, 02:06 PM

18,279 posts, read 11,887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
Yeah. Sounds like a great way to offend the original giver. Unless of course you did it deliberately to send a message...never give me jam again.

Sounds like the family, friend circle, or workplace white elephant gift that transfers ownership every Christmas until someone finally puts it out of its misery.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:36 PM

9,215 posts, read 3,679,576 times
Quote:

But if you buy it before the best before date you are fully aware of how it was stored and feel safe drinking ita day or two after that date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink