Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 03:38 PM

23,569 posts, read 13,786,228 times

Advertisements

It is not new, been around for decades.....but apparently, a lot of people clench tightly to it. So where does it come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 03:46 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It is not new, been around for decades.....but apparently, a lot of people clench tightly to it. So where does it come from?
There's belief, and there's fact. Who knows why someone believes what they do? Maybe their mother also believed it.

As for fact, canned foods don't have "expiration" dates. They may have a "best used by" date printed on them. It's more of a quality issue. IME, people who can at home date those foods.

Now if a can has no other signs of trouble (bulging, rust, leaking, badly dented, stored improperly) it doesn't really expire. The quality of the contents will deteriorate slowly over time.

Just one of several sources:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/foo...ned-food-last/

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-06-2022 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-06-2022, 03:53 PM

23,569 posts, read 13,786,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Canned foods don't have "expiration" dates. They may have a "best used by" date printed on them. It's more of a quality issue. Home canned goods should probably be dated.

Now if a can has no other signs of trouble (bulging, rust, leaking, badly dented, stored improperly) it doesn't really expire. The quality of the contents will deteriorate slowly over time.

Just one of several sources:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/foo...ned-food-last/

Yes, I know all that.

Still, there seems to be an attitude of many people of, "This date is past. It's bad. Chuck it.". Where, what causes this attitude?

Old 08-06-2022, 05:16 PM

5,427 posts, read 3,990,335 times
The only food I have seen that really deteriorates by the BB date is evaporated milk. At the food shelf where I volunteer, we accept food up to one year past the BB date, with a few exceptions. Well, actually, we accept all food (and say Thank you) but only give out food one year past the BB date.

I have noticed manufacturers are extending the BB dates and some put on "packed on" dates. Let the customer make their own decision.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:04 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
Quote:
Yes, I know all that.

Still, there seems to be an attitude of many people of, "This date is past. It's bad. Chuck it.". Where, what causes this attitude?
Well, what gives rise to your attitudes and beliefs about things OP? Could be anything from not understanding what a "use by" date means to some treasured family fable about Uncle Joe upchucking in the bathroom at a potluck after eating clam chowder!

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-06-2022 at 06:20 PM..

Old 08-06-2022, 06:07 PM

15,994 posts, read 20,986,750 times
Quote:
I've never really gone too much by "BB" dates as anything more than a suggestion, my daughter on the other hand freaks out over them for some reason. We have had more than one disagreement over whether or not some can or jar needs to be thrown out because it's past date. I raised her so I don't know where she gets it from, maybe it stems from the common misuse of the outdated term 'expiration date'.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:29 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,327,317 times
I don't think I've bought a single can of food that was so expensive that I would risk eating something past its prime just to save a few dollars. I've actually cut back on buying canned foods to "stock up" in general, so I only get what I'm planning to use within the next month or two.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:05 AM

398 posts, read 203,828 times
Make your emergency food stash last longer by keeping your cans in the refrigerator. Plus the refrigerator cycles less the more mass that's inside. I just think keeping them cool must slow any degradation.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:09 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,989,982 times
I don't have enough room in my fridge now let alone to store canned goods in it.
I use the pantry for those.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:28 AM

1,385 posts, read 749,739 times
Quote:
Expiration dates appeared on things the very second that someone figured out they could make more money that way.

People believe it because marketing wants them to and work diligently towards that end. Some people haven't lived long enough to remember when canned food and other things did not have expiration dates and no one ever got sick because of it. Perfectly good food and other things are being thrown in the trash because they have been taught to believe it "expired" two hours ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink