Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 01:42 PM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

I have eaten cheap mass market N American made pasta all my life. Brands like Primo, Ital Pasta and Unico, etc.

Now that the prices have gone up, I'm considering finally trying better pasta... stuff like old school Italians buy.

Just picked up some De Cecco. It's 3x more expensive than the cheap Primo's etc, but it's suppose to be much better... and it's made in Italy.

So what brands do you buy... and does it make a big difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 01:55 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I have eaten cheap mass market N American made pasta all my life. Brands like Primo, Ital Pasta and Unico, etc.

Now that the prices have gone up, I'm considering finally trying better pasta... stuff like old school Italians buy.

Just picked up some De Cecco. It's 3x more expensive than the cheap Primo's etc, but it's suppose to be much better... and it's made in Italy.

So what brands do you buy... and does it make a big difference?
My friend's Italian mother always used Barilla.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:06 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My cousin spent a summer in Italy before the pandemic and enrolled in cooking classes while there. She told us that Barilla was used exclusively by the instructors at her culinary school.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:56 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I used to use Barilla always, until someone on here posted something about DeCecco. Tried it, loved it. We buy DeCecco almost exclusively now. The way it’s formed is different somehow from most mass produced pasta, giving it a rougher edge than others. So it holds your sauce better.

Buy yeah, it’s super expensive, comparatively. When I first tried DeCecco, I bought “squared spaghetti”. A bit thicker than regular sized spaghetti, but I personally fell in love with it! Naturally, it’s impossible to get that squared kind any more. We bought it maybe 5 times and now we can’t get it. So it’s thin spaghetti, penne, rigatoni, or linguini for us now.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:14 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
According to statistics, Barilla was the market leader in Italy for pasta in 2020 with a market share of 24.5%, ahead of De Cecco with 14% and Garofalo with 8%.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:49 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I used to use Barilla always, until someone on here posted something about DeCecco. Tried it, loved it. We buy DeCecco almost exclusively now. The way it’s formed is different somehow from most mass produced pasta, giving it a rougher edge than others. So it holds your sauce better.

Buy yeah, it’s super expensive, comparatively. When I first tried DeCecco, I bought “squared spaghetti”. A bit thicker than regular sized spaghetti, but I personally fell in love with it! Naturally, it’s impossible to get that squared kind any more. We bought it maybe 5 times and now we can’t get it. So it’s thin spaghetti, penne, rigatoni, or linguini for us now.
You still can buy squared spaghetti.
https://supermarketitaly.com/product...MaAt8wEALw_wcB

Even Amazon has it
There are other manufacturers making the same as well

Old 08-23-2022, 06:34 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
My favorite brand of pasta is DeCecco. I also love and buy La Molisana, Mulini, and Rummo.

They all have excellent flavor and a rougher texture, which is great for mouth feel & for extra sauce and cheese to cling to. Also, these pastas come in shapes that I like, but are rarely found in American pasta brands.

Last edited by Sage 80; 08-23-2022 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 07:25 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
You still can buy squared spaghetti.
https://supermarketitaly.com/product...MaAt8wEALw_wcB

Even Amazon has it
There are other manufacturers making the same as well
Well, spaghetti #12 is not squared spaghetti. It’s just regular thickness run of the mill round spaghetti. I have a couple boxes of #12 in my pantry right now.

And, yeah, I did check Amazon, but it will be a cold day in hell before I pay $16/lb for pasta! Lol, it’s good, but not that good!

Old 08-23-2022, 08:46 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes BUT it's the Barilla that's made in Italy and shipped to the US. Found in Italian grocery shops. It is not the same as the Barilla you find in standard grocery stores.

I've used the regular grocery store Barilla for years. I never thought the made in Italy stuff was worth the higher price.
Lately, I've been buying Rao's dry pasta. I think it's a very big step up from the other brands, at a price that doesn't make my head explode (especially when it's on sale).

(I don't particularly like fresh pasta, which probably affects my dry pasta preferences).

Old 08-23-2022, 08:52 AM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes BUT it's the Barilla that's made in Italy and shipped to the US. Found in Italian grocery shops. It is not the same as the Barilla you find in standard grocery stores.

I've used the regular grocery store Barilla for years. I never thought the made in Italy stuff was worth the higher price.
Lately, I've been buying Rao's dry pasta. I think it's a very big step up from the other brands, at a price that doesn't make my head explode (especially when it's on sale).

(I don't particularly like fresh pasta, which probably affects my dry pasta preferences).
Interesting... so there are 2 types of Barilla?

I don't shop @ Italian stores, so I can only get the regular grocery store ones.

I aim to buy whatever goes on sale for the better pasta, just to try it out. So many Italians say that the regular N American pasta is garbage... time for me to find out how much better the Made In Italy stuff can be and is it worth the premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink