Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 12:25 PM

265 posts, read 258,984 times

Advertisements

Was ordering a meal at a convenience food restaurant where they prepare your food as you move down an assembly line. Was informed they were out of an item included in the meal and there was no comparable substitute. Would it have been appropriate to request/insist on a price adjustment for the order since I did not receive what I was entitled to and paid for?

I realized there was the option to discontinue the order and walk once I learned of the outage. However, that would have resulted in me wasting my time and money traveling to and from the restaurant. Also by continuing with the order, then requesting a price adjustment, I am giving the establishment the opportunity to still earn my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 12:45 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Depends for me. Rather than a price reduction I'd probably be more apt to ask for an add on, a free drink or desert item, an upsize, an extra side order of something, etc. If none of those were viable options then I might ask to speak to the manager for an adjustment, assuming the cost was worth the time invested.

Old 09-04-2022, 02:10 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
It depends on what is lacking. My experience with the kind of restaurant you are describing is pretty much limited to sandwich shops and Chipotle. And if it's, say, a sandwich shop and they have the bread, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato and condiments but are out of the pickles, it seems really petty to request a price adjustment for that, or cancel the order halfway through. Or to imply that the pickles are equivalent to the price of a bag of chips or a cookie which you should then get for free.

Maybe an example of your particular scenario is in order.

Old 09-04-2022, 02:16 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Was ordering a meal at a convenience food restaurant where they prepare your food as you move down an assembly line. Was informed they were out of an item included in the meal and there was no comparable substitute. Would it have been appropriate to request/insist on a price adjustment for the order since I did not receive what I was entitled to and paid for?

Well, if you were going to do it that would be the time to do it. Either a price adjustment or a substitution.

Old 09-04-2022, 02:38 PM

265 posts, read 258,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Maybe an example of your particular scenario is in order.
It was Chipolte's and the item lacking was "fajita veggies".

Old 09-04-2022, 03:54 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
It was Chipotle's and the item lacking was "fajita veggies".
Well, that seems kind of major, since fajitas are basically grilled meat and onions/bell peppers. Without the vegetables, you really don't have fajitas.

Yes, if they told you there were none and you could substitute something else instead, and you didn't care for any of the substitutes, in that case you could ask for a partial refund.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:06 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Quote:
It was Chipolte's and the item lacking was "fajita veggies".
That's a pretty big component of the dish. I would ask for a discount if there wasn't something else that I wanted.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:16 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I figure it never hurts to ask, but personally I wouldn't expect a discount. Because all their ingredients are prepared fresh that day, it's tough to predict and be prepared for high demand.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:17 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, that seems kind of major, since fajitas are basically grilled meat and onions/bell peppers. Without the vegetables, you really don't have fajitas.
They don't actually sell fajitas. They just have fajita veggies as a topping.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:35 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If it were me, I’d just get something else. No big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink