Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2022, 06:49 AM

127,937 posts, read 11,807,356 times

Advertisements

I just take out enough to last a few days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 09:34 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,291,470 times
Temperatures in LA have been three digits for the past week. It dropped to a chilly 84 degrees last night when we had a spot of rain.

I cannot imagine keeping the butter out on the counter. I just take the butter out of the fridge a few minutes before I'm going to use it, then return it to the dairy compartment in the fridge as soon as I'm done. I've never even heard of a butter bell, know no one who owns one, and based on what I've read in this thread, it sounds like a lot of unnecessary fuss.

That photo someone shared of their oval butter holder is cute, but it wouldn't work with the European butters we buy since those are shaped differently (like Kerrygold, Plugra, Lurpak, Président, Finlandia, Allgau). Do they make one shaped like those packages?

Old 09-10-2022, 09:59 AM

14,203 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What about unsalted?
Unsalted butter will become rancid faster. Salt acts as a preservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Temperatures in LA have been three digits for the past week. It dropped to a chilly 84 degrees last night when we had a spot of rain.

I cannot imagine keeping the butter out on the counter.
I live in Orange County, and have always kept the butter out. Maybe your house is different, but around here if it gets to be over 80 degrees inside, we turn on the a/c. That's maybe a week or 10 days out of the year, most years.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:59 AM

10,952 posts, read 6,701,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I use a water surround butter boat - the bell gets too messy - kind of same idea to keep it soft but keep from melting. https://www.city-data.com/forum/64106189-post10.html (photo at link)
https://www.butterbell.com/pdp/hand-...er-bell-crocks

I must have both of these! So elegant and pretty.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:29 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,291,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Unsalted butter will become rancid faster. Salt acts as a preservative.

I live in Orange County, and have always kept the butter out. Maybe your house is different, but around here if it gets to be over 80 degrees inside, we turn on the a/c. That's maybe a week or 10 days out of the year, most years.
It is different - there is no AC. We live close to the beach and up until just a few years ago, we never missed having it.

The only perishable food we keep on the counter are tomatoes and bananas. Stone fruits when they are in season.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:59 AM

14,203 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It is different - there is no AC. We live close to the beach and up until just a few years ago, we never missed having it.
To be fair, our house HAD an a/c unit, but it was nonfunctional for the first twenty years we lived here. I could put up with a few days of heat myself, but about five years ago I could no longer put up with the vociferous complaining of teenage children, so we had our unit repaired.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:43 PM

61,174 posts, read 86,024,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Never had it spoil - salted butter should last at least 7-10 days as long as not melted and keep lid on when not in use. I wash the dish out a couple of times a month.
Oh, yes. Salted.
That might be different. I use unsalted.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:12 PM

6,906 posts, read 3,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What about unsalted?
Salt helps preserve and lowers the moisture content - According to the FDA and NIH, while most types of bacteria would be able to survive on unsalted butter, there is only one type of bacteria that can survive the conditions of salted butter. According to their tests - Regular, salted butter has a low risk of bacterial contamination, even when kept at room temperature for several weeks (they tested 3 weeks). In fact, salted butter is actually produced with the expectation that consumers will not keep it in the fridge (in FDA report above).

According to NIH stud - fats go rancid, or spoil, through a process called oxidation, which alters their molecular structure and results in off flavors in any foods made with the rancid fats. Heat, light and exposure to oxygen can all speed up this process. It has been demonstrated that it may take anywhere between several weeks to over a year for oxidation to negatively affect butter, depending on how it is stored.

So according to reports from the gov't, salted butter is fine to leave out for several weeks but unsalted should not be regularly left out for more than is necessary.

Last edited by ddeemo; 09-10-2022 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 10:09 AM

19,369 posts, read 27,598,439 times
Hmm. This whole salted/unsalted thing has put a different spin on keeping the butter on the counter. I ONLY use unsalted butter.

Maybe limit it to half a stick. Or re-consider the decision I made based on this thread that a butter bell was more hassle than it was worth. . .

Old 09-11-2022, 10:12 AM

19,369 posts, read 27,598,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
https://www.butterbell.com/pdp/hand-...er-bell-crocks

I must have both of these! So elegant and pretty.
After shipping costs, they are cheaper on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink