Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 01:53 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Tap water for me. Bottled water tastes nasty to me. It's a weird flat taste. Tap water with ice is refreshing and crisp in comparison. I've never tried Evian, Perrier, etc., but the generic store brands from Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, Target, Smith's, Albertsons, etc. all taste nasty to me, as do the name brands like Dasani, Aquafina, Arrowhead, Pure Life, etc.
What I have found is that they actually can vary in taste, not liking some mentioned, either. I once chose one from Vons and not liking, later seeing that it was "from a Municipal Source". The one I like from Kroger as said, states using Reverse Osmosis, being Ozonated, which is to my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 02:16 AM

720 posts, read 705,098 times
This may sound strange but I have never bought a single bottle of water in my life. I never drink tap water other than an occassional Coffee or Tea when I'm out and about. The only water I use for dinking and cooking comes from a Limestone spring that produces 3000 thousand gallons per hour. We have it tested once a year and for the last 18 years no contaminents have been found, mainly due to the several thousand acres of uninhabited water shed that feeds this prolific mountain spring.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:19 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

How about you, is your H20 on the tap or fancy smancy glacier melt from the Arctic
I have a fllter in my refrigerator water dispenser. Before this, our water would not taste perfect every day--now it is always good.

When I had teenagers I would buy bottled water. I found they drank water more often and would grab a bottle to take with them. Often I would refill them and put them back in the refrigerator.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:59 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Doesn't matter much to me. If I was outside working I wouldn't hesitate to drink it from the hose. Memories of a simpler time!

Have frequented a couple restaurants in locales with good tap water that tasted just horrid. Never occurred to me that it may have been an ice problem until it was mentioned in this post. I used to carry laundry to restaurants and spent enough time in kitchens to know 'the less you know' is probably better.

We keep bottled on hand (cheapest we can find) because the other of us won't drink the tap water, and doesn't like it cold. So at any time at my house you can have it from the tap, a room temp bottle, the filtered cold water from the fridge or from the Brita pitcher in the fridge.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Doesn't matter much to me. If I was outside working I wouldn't hesitate to drink it from the hose. Memories of a simpler time!

Have frequented a couple restaurants in locales with good tap water that tasted just horrid. Never occurred to me that it may have been an ice problem until it was mentioned in this post. I used to carry laundry to restaurants and spent enough time in kitchens to know 'the less you know' is probably better.

We keep bottled on hand (cheapest we can find) because the other of us won't drink the tap water, and doesn't like it cold. So at any time at my house you can have it from the tap, a room temp bottle, the filtered cold water from the fridge or from the Brita pitcher in the fridge.
It can be a tap problem as well though. The water from my parents’ tap tastes absolutely horrific at times. I think I’ve had a drink at one of their neighbor’s homes and it was the same thing, so they occasionally just have minerals in there.

I typically use my Pur water filter as I have a lead service pipe. I do use an ice maker and have some concerns about that, but I did do a test on the water when I first came in and the lead levels weren’t bad after I had totally swapped out the pipes.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:09 AM

629 posts, read 408,401 times
I think that the real "clincher" for me was about 20 years ago I was living in Los Angeles, and there was a news story about a body being found (in a car) resting in the California Aqueduct. The individual had gone missing like 7-8 years prior, and the investigation back tracked that the individual was known to have traveled to a location beyond, and left there to return home....likely falling asleep at the wheel where the road closely paralleled the aqueduct.

So, that body sat there and rotted for 8 years, in the Los Angeles water supply. In their car, with gas, oil, etc etc etc. Not a pleasant thought. And I believe it was that day that I started using bottled water for consumption.

What's amusing, run a web search for "found dead in California Aqueduct" and see that it's a shockingly frequent occurrence.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:54 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
I think that the real "clincher" for me was about 20 years ago I was living in Los Angeles, and there was a news story about a body being found (in a car) resting in the California Aqueduct. The individual had gone missing like 7-8 years prior, and the investigation back tracked that the individual was known to have traveled to a location beyond, and left there to return home....likely falling asleep at the wheel where the road closely paralleled the aqueduct.

So, that body sat there and rotted for 8 years, in the Los Angeles water supply. In their car, with gas, oil, etc etc etc. Not a pleasant thought. And I believe it was that day that I started using bottled water for consumption.

What's amusing, run a web search for "found dead in California Aqueduct" and see that it's a shockingly frequent occurrence.
Oh that is only mildly shocking; I'll point out some things even more amusing.

Consider the hydrological cycle, where the water we use is fed back into rivers or oceans, hopefully somewhat purified, but during heavy rains and flooding, not so much.

Just north of Ft. Lauderdale, with its beaches that are so popular, lies a sewage outflow pipe that goes far enough offshore to not be commonly noticed.

Better yet, the small amount of water used by a human in a lifetime gets spread over time as it flows into places where it evaporates, gets rained down, and then that process is repeated and repeated. Some aquifers have water stored from millions of years ago, but surface water and water that passes through shallow springs is in communal use, and may have been for a while.

There is a high statistical probability that during your life you have drunk water that Jesus peed, and an even higher one that you have drunk water that passed through Moses or a Pharaoh.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:01 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Harry, you're not wrong about the Earth's water, being "recycled."

There's a FIXED amount of water on this here planet. No more, no less than when the dinosaurs cruised for food. In any 1 of the 3 basic stages (plasma is still a theory,) the ultimate amount of water remains unchanged.

Luckily, the "evaporation/condensation" process purifies it, otherwise, we'd be in a world of hurt. Actually, we'd all be dead by now.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:04 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I use a water filtration pitcher. Chicago tap water just tastes nasty and is cloudy when it first comes out of the faucet. I even use filtered water to make my tea... I've made tea with water straight from the faucet and it tastes icky.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:17 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Because I am liable to gout I keep drinking water constantly throughout the day when I am at home or I order it when I buy lunch, etc.,. (never soda). I would think I drink at least a gallon and probably more each day. I always have a glass nearby.

Also I live in NYC which is pretty much acknowledged to have some of the best drinking water from our taps compared to most other places (and I have lived in several other states, many cities, for many years). I do use a Brita filtered pitcher but that is mostly with the possibility of lead soldered pipe joints somewhere in the last mile including my older building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink