Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 04:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There are no antibiotics in US dairy as far as I know.

I think what you may be thinking of is BGH. Bovine Growth Hormone, which is legal in the US, but not Canada, the EU, the UK, New Zealand, Australia and Japan.

You can buy BGH free dairy in the US, but you pay more there than regular milk.
Thanks for correcting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 04:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Synthetic milk is not a sci-fi fantasy; it already exists. In the US, for example, the Perfect Day company supplies animal-free protein made from microflora, which is then used to make ice cream, protein powder and milk.

Unlike synthetic meat – which can struggle to match the complexity and texture of animal meat – synthetic milk is touted as having the same taste, look and feel as normal dairy milk.
Enough with the Frankenfood or it's OK with you?
What are your thoughts about that??
https://www.salon.com/2022/09/09/not...r-you_partner/
Talk about an oxymoron......synthetic ie fake "dairy "milk". Word games made up to fool the gullible.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:44 AM

432 posts, read 414,527 times
All my doctors say I should avoid dairy, but no way I would drink that.
Oat milk is just too cheap and easy.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:03 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
All my doctors say I should avoid dairy, but no way I would drink that.
Oat milk is just too cheap and easy.
Mine does too. She's a mainstream doctor, also. As an adult, I rarely drink milk anyway. I will stick with Oat milk. It's good in smoothies, coffee, tea, and on cereal. Works in recipes that call for milk.

For celebratory food - recipes that I don't eat or prepare every day, either because they are not healthy, or they are difficult to prepare, I will stick with regular ingredients. Heavy cream for example. Or sour cream. If I have either of those five times a year, that's a lot.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:10 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
I have sour cream with something almost everyday. Can't imagine living without dairy products.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:35 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Two glasses of real, low fat chocolate milk a day for me.

Old 09-22-2022, 09:39 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
That is really cool. I'd have no problem drinking it if the taste, mouthfeel, consistency, and other characteristics were the same. It's not like drinking the milk out of a cow's udder from industrial farms is that appealing to begin with. Ultimately all foods are just combinations of various fats, proteins, and carbohydrates in varying proportions with other compounds in them.

The major problem I have with fake milks like Almond, Cashew, etc. is they put too much calcium carbonate in them. There's no need to have 50% daily value of calcium in a small little glass. I can get PVCs from excess calcium consumption if I go through a gallon of this stuff over a couple of days, it throws off the calcium/magnesium ratios. Most people don't need that extra calcium in their diet, much less the same calcium that is in Tums... reduce it down to 20% tops, or don't add it at all.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 660,180 times
Why is there a need to create synthetic milk? There are a ton of non dairy "milks" on the market right now, from soy to almond and cashew milk to coconut milk, oat milk, hemp milk, flax milk, and more. For those that want a higher protein non dairy milk, soy milk and pea milk both provide 7 to 8 grams protein per cup and soy milk rivals dairy milk in it's nutrition profile.

Is it for taste? Or those with allergies to dairy?

I personally am fine with what non dairy milks are out there now. My body does not tolerate straight dairy milk so I usually drink cashew or soy milk, sometimes pea or coconut and have done this for many many years, but I do consume Greek yogurt and some hard cheese and occasional butter which are easier on my stomach than straight cows milk. I enjoy those foods and they provide a source of protein for me as I do not eat meat other than fish once or twice per week. I eat them in moderation though, not every day. I also appreciate that natural dairy products have some level of b12 in them. I once called a Greek yogurt company and asked how much b12 was in it as it was not listed and I believe they said something like 19% RDA? I would have to dig up that email.

Though this is not milk, I started eating fish again in 2017 after almost seven years of being vegan (also reintroduced the above said milk products after six years of being vegan). I missed the taste but also the satiety, healthy fat, DHA, b12 and so on the some fish provides (I eat walleye, lake trout, salmon, sardines, mackerel etc, not as much white fish but some). There is no imitation vegetarian "fish" product that comes close to how real fish both tastes and makes me feel. And yes I have done my own fishing, killing, preparing local fresh fish. I still have days I eat no animal products but I definitely notice I am hungrier and less satisfied on those days. Supplements to cover my bases just doesn't do enough for me and often I have adverse reactions to supplements. Even with food, I have to watch for foods where vitamins are injected because it causes unnatural amounts of the vitamin in my body. I already supplement vitamin D (my only regular supplement living in NE Minnesota) so if I get it in food products I have to watch how much.

I'm with others also in that I need to know exactly what ingredients are in these foods, not just words like "natural or synthetic flavors". I have allergies and intolerances to watch for.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:34 PM

840 posts, read 773,066 times
I'm happy with Coconut milk &/or Coconut+Almond milk.
And raw goat cheese made next-door to where it is milked from those goats.

Would like to try some Water Buffalo milk & cheese from this farm, tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN8vuXSwKdY

Hoof GP

Old 09-25-2022, 12:04 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,012 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the thread, EL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Synthetic milk is not a sci-fi fantasy; it already exists. In the US, for example, the Perfect Day company supplies animal-free protein made from microflora, which is then used to make ice cream, protein powder and milk.

Unlike synthetic meat – which can struggle to match the complexity and texture of animal meat – synthetic milk is touted as having the same taste, look and feel as normal dairy milk.

Enough with the Frankenfood or it's OK with you?

What are your thoughts about that??
https://www.salon.com/2022/09/09/not...r-you_partner/

Thanks for the thread, ELNINA No, it is NOT ok with me It worries me.

If I could, I would be eating 48 hours a day FULL FAT BUTTER, cottage cheese, sour cream, heeavy cream, yogurt, ice cream, cream everything, cheese in every shape, form, FULL FAT MILK from cows, goats, sheep, buffalo, etc. etc. I truly love & enjoy DAIRY!!
And if I could eat all of the above, from animals in Europe, even better!

So, bottom line, I do NOT want any fake anything, in my book, nothing deserves to be called milk or cheese, unless it comes from an animal.
And this is coming from someone that enjoys coconut "milk", for its taste, fat content, thickness, flavor.

The only times I ever feel full, is when I have pure fat & protein coming from an animal.
And I definitely enjoy desserts, pies, cookies, breads & cakes!
Carbs & sugar just make me hungrier.

I also want to support the local farmers Thank you.

Last edited by countrylv22; 09-25-2022 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink