Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 11:16 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Besides pancakes/waffles, what else can you use Maple Syrup for?

Can you just use it as a substitute for granular sugar and use for sweetener in your coffee or tea? Or if need to sweeten a pan sauce, can you just drop in some maple syrup? Or as part of a rub, or mixed into a salad dressing?

Yes!! Turkey, Ham, Potatoes, etc.

Take a look:

https://www.everydayeileen.com/easy-...ed-ham-recipe/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPr0h0u_Q_I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 11:33 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My FIL makes 200+ gallons of maple syrup a year on his farm in NE Ohio.
At 40:1, that means he starts with 8,000 gallons of sap. That sounds like quite an operation.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:51 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
in hot coffee as a sweetener
in a maple latte coffee (hot or cold) as a sweetener and flavor
on oatmeal
as part of a marinade (I use it on roasted Brussel sprouts or carrots with a bit of olive oil)
as a glaze on ham
with balsamic vinegar as a salad dressing
with butter (lightly) on cornbread or bisquits
on ice cream (not a fan)

maple sugar can be used to make maple cotton candy (the best cotton candy there is)

Old 09-19-2022, 11:54 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
There are some good Bread recipes that use maple syrup as the sugar source. One example:
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...l-bread-recipe

I guess you could use it as a substitute for brown sugar when cooking Acorn or Butternut squash (or sweet potatoes).

Old 09-19-2022, 12:11 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Even in baking you can use it in place of sugar. Use 100% pure maple syrup (not that aunt jemima stuff which is all chemicals).

Maple syrup can be used in the place of sugar for just about any recipe, for it is just a matter of learning the substitution ratio. To replace white sugar with maple syrup in general cooking, it is ideal to use ¾ cup of maple syrup for every one cup of sugar. When it comes to baking, that same amount is used but also be sure to reduce the amount of overall liquid in the recipe by about three tablespoons for each cup of maple syrup substituted. In order to replace honey with maple syrup in cooking, it is an even switch—one tablespoon of maple syrup for one tablespoon of honey, and so forth. It is a good idea to turn your oven temperature down about 25 degrees from the original cooking temperature when trading maple syrup for sugar in a recipe. This is because the maple syrup caramelizes at a lower temperature than sugar does.

https://www.maplesyrupworld.com/repl...-your-cooking/

Old 09-19-2022, 01:31 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Pour a dab in a glass and add good bourbon.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:56 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up Great tips, Lodestar! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Real maple syrup is a precious luxury for me and has spoiled me for the pancake syrup.

It's a good glaze for ham.

I use it in oatmeal with cinnamon and blueberries.

In the fall when I can get the Royal Riviera pears I make a green salad with pears, candied pecans and bleu cheese that has a wonderful maple vinaigrette.

And it makes a good sundae with a handful of chopped walnuts or pecans scattered on top.

Everything in the above post sounds AMAZING! You have great ideas & tips! Just delicious! Thanks, L.

My mother always disliked high fructose corn syrup, so she taught me to use maple syrup when making
pecan pie

I also enjoy it with cottage cheese, yogurt, cheesecake, etc.

It is good with French bread & butter as well.

I also have made granola with it.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
At 40:1, that means he starts with 8,000 gallons of sap. That sounds like quite an operation.
That is a tiny operation. My wife's cousins have a modern operation and produce somewhere between 5-10,000 gallons. The problem with production in Ohio and other Midwestern states is the length of the season can be much shorter than that in Quebec, Maine, or New Brunswick.

A good portion of my FIL's syrup is shipped to AZ for sale as we have a pretty good client base. (g)

Old 09-19-2022, 07:08 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Glaze for baked salmon or ham. Cake icing. Tea and coffee. Over ice cream. Brush onto home-made cinnamon buns. On baked yams. Make fudge. On french toast.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:59 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is a tiny operation. My wife's cousins have a modern operation and produce somewhere between 5-10,000 gallons. The problem with production in Ohio and other Midwestern states is the length of the season can be much shorter than that in Quebec, Maine, or New Brunswick.

A good portion of my FIL's syrup is shipped to AZ for sale as we have a pretty good client base. (g)
You get farther south and it gets more scarce. You can get it now in Mexico, the small village where I vacation, but in the day I'd ask for it and get a blank stare. Try to describe the taste of maple syrup.

I forgot to mention that for a couple of years I've had an old country recipe for chewy maple syrup candy people used to cool in the snow. Boil it down to the firm ball stage and pour it out in the lawn in the winter!

I remember doing that with taffy as a kid. I also just remembered why I haven't done it. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink