Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 07:57 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
My go-to easy meals are packets of Tasty Bite and Seeds of Change. They heat up in the packets, so no cooking mess.

Madras Lentils from Tasty Bites tastes like chili. We pour it over Seeds of Change brown rice and quinoa, both heated in the microwave first, of course. Sprinkle on some grated cheese, bought grated, then frozen and thawed. If you're feeling up to it, top it with chopped red onions. But totally not necessary.

Seeds of Change is different combinations of grains. Tasty Bites has various flavors of rice as well as lentils, garbanzo beans, spinach, ... all in in Indian type sauces.

The Channa Masala is another favorite.

I keep these packets in the cupboard for when I absolutely cannot use my shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 12:58 PM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We have tried Sunbasket and Blue Apron, and just switched to Home Chef (this is our first week). Sumbasket has a lot of ethnic choices. Decided to switch to Blue Apron when they raised their prices. Blue Apron is very good. Recently switched to Home Chef to try something different. May switch back to Blue Apron at a later point if we find we don’t like Home Chef as well. All have good food, but the food does take some time to prepare. We’ve found that we have to add a side to the meal to have enough food. We can’t eat out for roughly $11.00 per meal, including taxes and shipping; plus we get to try different foods, spices, etc.. We are saving money on our grocery/restaurant budget. Several of these companies have started charging a surcharge for certain premium entrees, which makes the price too high.
Have tried these each for a couple months. Sunbasket is our favorite for good flavor.

But all required a fair amount of chopping and searing and one thing and another. If I wanted to cook I would do so.

Old 10-08-2022, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
OP, I just noticed in my Factor account that I can apparently send a free box to friends. I don't know how many meals come in a free box, and you would probably have to create (and then cancel, if you so choose) an account to claim the free box. But if you'd like to receive one, send me a DM with your email address.

(I have a limited number of free boxes, so if anyone else is interested in trying Factor, send me a DM and I'll see if I can send you one.)
Thanks a million, Hertfordshire.

Box of 8 meals arrived earlier this week.

Most were chicken with some sort of sauce and vegetables -- green beans, corn relish, sweet potatoes, ... There was a pork chop, sausage and peppers, and a hamburger taco salad. Couple had macaroni/noodles, but most were protein and vegetables. No fish, sadly.

Meals were tasty, portions were sufficient, and with a salad made a damn decent meal. 2 minutes in the microwave and dinner is ready.

I paid $20 for shipping, $2.50 each meal. The regular cost is four or five times that, about the cost of a takeout meal.

Over the years, we've tried various entrees from the frozen food aisle, and while there are a few we like, most are way too salty and mostly rice or noodles of some sort. Often the portions are so small that it takes two to make a meal, and with the exception of Stouffer's stuffed green peppers, just not that appealing. Might as well open a can of soup. It's why I turn to those packets for no fuss meals.

But I will order Factor meals again. They're worth it.

Old 12-24-2023, 05:25 AM

Has anyone tried CookUnity?

Supposedly, they are "chef prepared" and look like they involve meals that have been simmered, not merely a chicken breast topped with a sauce of some sort.

I'm getting set up for knee replacement surgery, and though I love Seeds of Change and Tasty Bite packets, I can't eat them seven days a week.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:27 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I can only imagine the cost for these meal-delivery-services...no way I can justify using them, I have no desire to do so anyways. Someone truly incapable of making their own meals, I can understand them using these services.

I have mainly eaten the most simple meals for most of my adult life...and find it a huge benefit both financially and in the time and effort put into making a meal. I do not care about sauces, seasoning, coatings, recipes, baking, etc...does not interest me even a little.

I am totally satisfied with a meal such as 6 eggs scrambled into some coconut-oil....the
cost, preparation and cleanup is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink