Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 04:50 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times

Advertisements

In October, our Dear Canadian Friends will be CELEBRATING THANKSGIVING! YAY!

So, I would love to hear from our Dear Canadian Friends, like ALMRAUSCH and others with Canadian connections (family, friends or you lived there at some point).
Or if you happen to be familiar with the foods, traditions, etc.

What are Canadian Thanksgiving Traditions, dishes, meals, desserts, appetizers, drinks, etc. Family Traditions as well? What do you all do the day before, the actual Day, etc.

Wishing ALL of our Canadian Friends, Forum Members, Lurkers alike, a very Happy, Blessed & Joyful Thanksgiving!

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 10:32 AM

126,263 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Hello countrylv
This year Canadian Thanksgiving is October 10th a Monday.Throughout the years our family has grown quite a bit and long holiday weekends we try to spend together three generations under one roof.
Saturdays we usually have fun outdoors weather permitting.That day the guys cook the dinner.Of course we have Saturday and Sunday our traditional German Kaffeklatsch with King Ludwig apple Torte and chocolate cake with lemon icing,whipping cream and coffee/tea/milk/chocolate milk.Sunday we have a continental brunch.That day the ladies cook and prepare the Thanksgiving dinner and setting festive the dining table.During that time the guys take the kids to play soccer,biking or apple picking for donations to a food bank.We usually make either a big turkey,roasted hens,duck or goose served with garlic mashed potatoes, cranberry chutney,braised red cabbage.To drink beer or wine and for the kids milk or skiwasser made with homemade raspberry syrup, lemon juice and water.For dessert a mixed fruit salad with warm vanilla sauce or preferred ice cream and for the adults a shot of Cointreau or Grand Marnier.Schnapps glasses for a Schnapserl after dinner is on the side table a choice of Aquavit, Korn, Enzian or Bärwurz Schnapps.Afterwards the whole family takes part in cleaning up the dining room/kitchen while there is a lot of chatting,singing and laughter going around.The rest of the evening we play music/sing,play board and card games.Monday after a big breakfast everyone is on their way and suddenly the house feels empty and quiet until the next holiday gathering.

*Chocolate cake with lemon icing*

120 g butter
380 g sugar
2 eggs

Beat foamy

280 g flour
100 g cocoa
2 tsp baking powder

Mix together

Now combine all and add 1/4 liter plain yogurt + 5 tbsp water alternating.Mix and put in a 9 x 9 springform pan.Bake at 350 F 50 to 60 minutes.Once cake is cooled and removed from the springform pan mix lemon icing from 1 lemon and decorate the cake.A final touch some fresh grated lemon peel on the top.

*Baumkuchen/Schichttorte/layered Torte*

Dough:
250 gram butter
250 gram sugar
6 eggs
3 tbsp Bacardi Gold Rum ( Do Not use spiced rum it will become too dense and less tasty)
150 gram flour
100 gram cornstarch
3 leveled tsp baking powder

Icing:175 gram sifted icing sugar,2 to 3 tbsp hot water,1 walnut size piece of salted butter and 4 tbsp of Barcadi Gold rum.Mix icing well for spreading.

Mix butter very smooth and foamy and add gradually sugar,2 eggs,4 egg yolks and rum.The sifted cornstarch,baking powder and flour you stir under next bit by bit.The beaten stiff 4 egg whites you slowly fold with a spatula by hand under the dough while slowly turning your bowl clockwise or counter clockwise.Remember no stirring,just gently folding the egg white underneath.

Put the oven on 375 F.
In a greased 9 inch by 9 inch springform fill with about 2 tbsp batter and spread evenly with that spoon.Bake for about 12 minutes until golden brown.Repeat adding the second layer the same way and bake again about 12 minutes until golden brown.
Now change your oven heat to Boil and setting to Lo You bake each layer of batter only 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown,still spreading each layer with about 2 tbsp of batter. ( I sometimes use only 1 heaped tbsp if I want to make more layers,which gives me 13 layers,while with 2 tbsp it gives 8 to 9 layers)
Once last layer is baked,cool cake,remove springform and bottom of springform and let totally cool down on rack.
Make the icing and decorate any way you wish.
Either thin icing
thick icing
chocolate rum icing or without rum
chocolate shavings over white icing
chocolate chips for decoration
use pastry bag for writing or personalizing the cake for any special occasion.

Serve with fresh whipping cream and tea or coffee.
This cake freezes well for a few months.
To get the real taste and aroma from it cut it very thin,unlike usual cakes.The thinner the better.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up Thank you, DEAR ALM!:) What a LOVELY post! What a Joy to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Hello countrylv
This year Canadian Thanksgiving is October 10th a Monday.Throughout the years our family has grown quite a bit and long holiday weekends we try to spend together three generations under one roof.
Saturdays we usually have fun outdoors weather permitting.That day the guys cook the dinner.Of course we have Saturday and Sunday our traditional German Kaffeklatsch with King Ludwig apple Torte and chocolate cake with lemon icing,whipping cream and coffee/tea/milk/chocolate milk.Sunday we have a continental brunch.That day the ladies cook and prepare the Thanksgiving dinner and setting festive the dining table.During that time the guys take the kids to play soccer,biking or apple picking for donations to a food bank.We usually make either a big turkey,roasted hens,duck or goose served with garlic mashed potatoes, cranberry chutney,braised red cabbage.To drink beer or wine and for the kids milk or skiwasser made with homemade raspberry syrup, lemon juice and water.For dessert a mixed fruit salad with warm vanilla sauce or preferred ice cream and for the adults a shot of Cointreau or Grand Marnier.Schnapps glasses for a Schnapserl after dinner is on the side table a choice of Aquavit, Korn, Enzian or Bärwurz Schnapps.Afterwards the whole family takes part in cleaning up the dining room/kitchen while there is a lot of chatting,singing and laughter going around.The rest of the evening we play music/sing,play board and card games.Monday after a big breakfast everyone is on their way and suddenly the house feels empty and quiet until the next holiday gathering.

*Chocolate cake with lemon icing*

120 g butter
380 g sugar
2 eggs

Beat foamy

280 g flour
100 g cocoa
2 tsp baking powder

Mix together

Now combine all and add 1/4 liter plain yogurt + 5 tbsp water alternating.Mix and put in a 9 x 9 springform pan.Bake at 350 F 50 to 60 minutes.Once cake is cooled and removed from the springform pan mix lemon icing from 1 lemon and decorate the cake.A final touch some fresh grated lemon peel on the top.

*Baumkuchen/Schichttorte/layered Torte*

Dough:
250 gram butter
250 gram sugar
6 eggs
3 tbsp Bacardi Gold Rum ( Do Not use spiced rum it will become too dense and less tasty)
150 gram flour
100 gram cornstarch
3 leveled tsp baking powder

Icing:175 gram sifted icing sugar,2 to 3 tbsp hot water,1 walnut size piece of salted butter and 4 tbsp of Barcadi Gold rum.Mix icing well for spreading.

Mix butter very smooth and foamy and add gradually sugar,2 eggs,4 egg yolks and rum.The sifted cornstarch,baking powder and flour you stir under next bit by bit.The beaten stiff 4 egg whites you slowly fold with a spatula by hand under the dough while slowly turning your bowl clockwise or counter clockwise.Remember no stirring,just gently folding the egg white underneath.

Put the oven on 375 F.
In a greased 9 inch by 9 inch springform fill with about 2 tbsp batter and spread evenly with that spoon.Bake for about 12 minutes until golden brown.Repeat adding the second layer the same way and bake again about 12 minutes until golden brown.
Now change your oven heat to Boil and setting to Lo You bake each layer of batter only 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown,still spreading each layer with about 2 tbsp of batter. ( I sometimes use only 1 heaped tbsp if I want to make more layers,which gives me 13 layers,while with 2 tbsp it gives 8 to 9 layers)
Once last layer is baked,cool cake,remove springform and bottom of springform and let totally cool down on rack.
Make the icing and decorate any way you wish.
Either thin icing
thick icing
chocolate rum icing or without rum
chocolate shavings over white icing
chocolate chips for decoration
use pastry bag for writing or personalizing the cake for any special occasion.

Serve with fresh whipping cream and tea or coffee.
This cake freezes well for a few months.
To get the real taste and aroma from it cut it very thin,unlike usual cakes.The thinner the better.

Hello my Dear ALMRAUSCH!

You never disappoint!

I knew that THANKSGIVING at your HOME would be to DIE for!
Please save me a seat, I promise to help a lot, I will do ALL of the dishes & then some!
I LUV the idea of DUCK, GOOSE & red cabbage! YUM!

One of the reasons I LUV the Food forum is due to your contributions From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU so very much!

I know that the last couple of years have been hard on a lot of us, so
reading lovely posts like yours, really is a JOY!

Thank you so much for the recipes, I am going to definitely make them!

Everything sounds soooo DELICIOUS!

Thank you, ALM!

A BLESSED & HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you & your loved ones!
October 10th, is just around the corner!!

COUNTRY

Old 09-22-2022, 07:49 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Almrausch

Old 09-22-2022, 09:41 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
It's not for another three weeks. (Second Monday in October.)

As an American staying in Canada, I've gotten to enjoy TWO Thanksgivings the past few years. I recommend it highly.

Traditionally, my Canadian partner made a duck for us on Canadian Thanksgiving. They do sell turkeys up here for the holiday, but that's too much for two people.

This year, there will be four, so we'll see.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:11 AM

Thumbs up Thank you, LUBBY, for your contribution to this thread! And for your kind wishes for ALM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Almrausch

I SECOND & THIRD your BEST of WISHES to our DEAR ALMRAUSCH for a very HAPPY CANADIAN THANKSGIVING!!!

October 10th is right around the corner!!!

Thank you, LUBBY, for your kind post & wishes!

Old 09-23-2022, 06:27 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Twenty years ago, my father asked me to take him to his summer cottage in Eastern Ontario over the Columbus Day weekend. Since I was in Cleveland, it was very possible to do so.

We were invited to come to the community Thanksgiving Dinner on Saturday night. We were very much welcomed. Most of the food we were served is what we would have in the US for a Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:11 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Our family has a tradition of having a different type of food each year, based on our ancestry. That means one year it will be Bahamian beans and rice, Conch fritters, grouper , spiny lobster and rum punch. The next year it could be French Canadian with triple meat tortiere, pea soup with ham hock, and brewis. Or roast beef, roasted potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, beef gravy and mincemeat tarts. Or Cantonese / Singaporean buffet. Yes our extended family is quite a mixture of ethnic groups.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:48 AM

Thumbs up Thank you, MS. MIGHTYQUEEN!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not for another three weeks. (Second Monday in October.)

As an American staying in Canada, I've gotten to enjoy TWO Thanksgivings the past few years. I recommend it highly.

Traditionally, my Canadian partner made a duck for us on Canadian Thanksgiving. They do sell turkeys up here for the holiday, but that's too much for two people.

This year, there will be four, so we'll see.

Dear MQ

Thanks for your post! I would love to enjoy Thanksgiving in Canada!

Well, I certainly LUV DUCK!! So, on my way from ALMRAUSCH"S place, I will stop by your place & help you all with the DUCK

I will make sure you are not bothered with leftovers!

Remember that cooking the large meal also has the purpose that you end up with lots of leftovers to enjoy for several days...Unless I stop by with my siblings LOL!

Well, like I said before, October 10th is just around the corner!! I always enjoy reading, listening about family traditions from around the world!
Thanks for your contribution!

A HAPPY & JOYFUL THANKSGIVING to everyone reading this!! Sending PUMPKIN REPUTATION COOKIES TO EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD!! So, keep posting here!! I have lots of cookies to go around!

Old 09-26-2022, 06:37 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
In October, our Dear Canadian Friends will be CELEBRATING THANKSGIVING! YAY!

So, I would love to hear from our Dear Canadian Friends, like ALMRAUSCH and others with Canadian connections (family, friends or you lived there at some point).
Or if you happen to be familiar with the foods, traditions, etc.

What are Canadian Thanksgiving Traditions, dishes, meals, desserts, appetizers, drinks, etc. Family Traditions as well? What do you all do the day before, the actual Day, etc.

Wishing ALL of our Canadian Friends, Forum Members, Lurkers alike, a very Happy, Blessed & Joyful Thanksgiving!

Thank you in advance!
Only Canadians can answer? Anyway I wish my Canadian friends a joyous (or is it Blessed and Joyful) Thanksgiving, two weeks, I think, hence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink