Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 10:14 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I was reading last night that it had something to do with oxidation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 04:00 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Honestly, I'm not sure that I've ever heard of someone getting ill from eating beef that was too old or undercooked (not saying it hasn't happened.)

Most people that I know (myself included) that have gotten a foodborne illness from meat, the likely suspect is chicken, followed by pork. Seafood would be on the list but it's usually patently obvious by smell/taste if it's turned. I also know a guy that got ill from eating undercooked bear meat but that's a very fringe situation.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:05 PM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Food Safety: Is Gray Ground Beef Safe for Consumption or Not?
Most fresh meat appears somewhat purple when it is sliced. In fact, meat only turns red when a pigment within it called oxymyoglobin is exposed to oxygen. And according to the [USDA], while the outer layer of ground beef may be red . . . a gray or brown interior tells a person that this part of the meat simply has not had access to oxygen. . . . READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE:
https://www.cookist.com/food-safety-is-gray-ground-beef-safe-for-consumption-or-not/

Old 09-26-2022, 09:48 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Food Safety: Is Gray Ground Beef Safe for Consumption or Not?
Most fresh meat appears somewhat purple when it is sliced. In fact, meat only turns red when a pigment within it called oxymyoglobin is exposed to oxygen. And according to the [USDA], while the outer layer of ground beef may be red . . . a gray or brown interior tells a person that this part of the meat simply has not had access to oxygen. . . . READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE:
https://www.cookist.com/food-safety-is-gray-ground-beef-safe-for-consumption-or-not/
I couldn't access the link but it sounds like the article I read after posting my question last night. At least it's saying the same thing.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:00 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Stores mix past due meat with fresh meat to save on shrink. Did it come looking like it went through a meat grinder extrusion? It has sort of strings of meat in a lump in the package. Those are the packages you can't trust. See link.

I don't buy ground beef anymore because it doesn't smell right so I switched to ground pork. It's less expensive and I find it tastier. Ground chicken isn't as flavorful.

Old 09-30-2022, 01:17 PM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I couldn't access the link but it sounds like the article I read after posting my question last night. At least it's saying the same thing.

I'll try again for whoever else might want to read it too:

Food Safety: Is Gray Ground Beef Safe For Consumption Or Not?

https://www.cookist.com/food-safety-...mption-or-not/

Old 09-30-2022, 09:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
It looked good at the store, nice and red, that is until I got it home and started making patties out of it. Then I saw areas where the meat was brown like it gets once you start to cook it. It smelled okay but I don't want to take any chances with it. What do you think? Does the brown meat indicate that it's going bad?
Actually, it's apparently a tactic of misleading consumers into thinking meat is supposed to be red.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:10 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Actually, it's apparently a tactic of misleading consumers into thinking meat is supposed to be red.

Meat is red just a different shade of red in the food coloring.

Old 10-04-2022, 02:11 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Stores mix past due meat with fresh meat to save on shrink. Did it come looking like it went through a meat grinder extrusion? It has sort of strings of meat in a lump in the package. Those are the packages you can't trust. See link.

I don't buy ground beef anymore because it doesn't smell right so I switched to ground pork. It's less expensive and I find it tastier. Ground chicken isn't as flavorful.
I make ground turkey breast meatloaf and it comes delicious, but you need to add lots of moisture like soaking the breadcrumbs in milk, and adding ketchup and eggs so it doesn't dry out, I add mushrooms and raisins also.

I read poultry is killed earlier than old cows, so beef is more problematic to eat. I haven't eaten beef in years and now that I am older I wouldn't want to chew on a tough piece of steak anyway. The only beef I really enjoyed was a tender London Broil that melted in my mouth and the occasional pastrami sandwich but otherwise I don't miss it.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
It’s called oxidation

Most beef is cherry red because of oxygen
On the outside

When no oxygen like the inside of a roast
Or burger the meat will retain its original color
Which is purplish…. Same as if you pricked a purple vein
…. The blood will be red when oxygen hits it

If I cut I rib eye into steaks … let them bloom into cherry red
They will look great/fresh if I take same steaks and vacuum seal them..
they will go back to being purplish because of no oxygen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink