Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 03:30 PM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Forget the compote pile. Eggshells are excellent for scouring the garbage disposal.
Depends on your disposal age and HP. You could also be the judge of how long your garbage disposal has served you. The longer the service, the greater chances of rust and worn-out drainage pipes.

However, one of the worst myths is that eggshells can sharpen the blades in the garbage disposal. Garbage disposals don't have blades...

You might want to read this:
https://www.dumpdisposal.com/can-you...bage-disposal/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 08:45 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
I gotta wonder how some of us survived, without the mandated " expiration dates" stamped on everything..

Truth be told, I thought the OP was going to ask about her "own" eggs, for purposes of reproduction...(btw, those have an "expiration date" too...) lol

Old 10-03-2022, 08:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Crack them to use for bake and see. You can't miss a spoiled egg. If they are good - use them for baking, if they aren't - no boiling time would change anything.

Expiration dates are what the above respondent said. I wish people would stop obsessing about it...

The best way to determine if your egg is spoiled is by cracking it open into a bowl. If the egg white is pink or iridescent this is an indication of spoilage due to Pseudomonas bacteria. Some of these bacteria can make us sick when eaten and they will produce a greenish, fluorescent, water-soluble color.

https://www.australianeggs.org.au/fa...f-eggs-are-bad
Best answer.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:45 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
This is very true. Had eggs left in the fridge. Went for vacation, came back few months later and they still made tasty scrambled eggs.
Visual and smell test are the best indicators.
Yes, so glad that someone besides me has realized that. I always crack them open carefully and sniff, but they're always fine.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:51 AM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, so glad that someone besides me has realized that. I always crack them open carefully and sniff, but they're always fine.
Right, but common sense isn't common anymore...

Eggs are some of the few things that if they are spoiled, you would definitely KNOW it...

It have been years, if not decades - (I really don't remember last time) I came across a spoiled egg.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:55 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Fill a bowl with water deep enough to float the eggs. If the egg floats, it's bad. Toss it. If the egg sinks, it's okay to use.
Eggs are fine a couple of weeks passed their expiration date. The above statement is very reliable.

Also, if you completely coat the eggs with mineral oil, they will last several months in the frig.

Old 10-04-2022, 12:00 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Right, but common sense isn't common anymore...

Eggs are some of the few things that if they are spoiled, you would definitely KNOW it...

It have been years, if not decades - (I really don't remember last time) I came across a spoiled egg.
On an individual basis, and for someone with a fully functional immune system, you are correct about a certain type of spoilage.

However, when salmonella is the "spoiling" agent, the egg will look and smell fine. That is well known in food service. One of the worst cases of food poisoning I have had was from a restaurant where I ordered Eggs Florentine. Rather than making individual servings, the cook had made a huge batch of scrambled eggs, which had to sit for a while before it all got used.

In a questionable restaurant, it is much safer to order only egg dishes that require use of one or two whole eggs where you can see the yolk, cooked well. The dish will be fresher, and the odds of food poisoning go way down. One bad egg mixed in with three dozen for a scrambled egg mess will contaminate the entire batch.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:10 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Eggs are fine a couple of weeks passed their expiration date. . . .

Also, if you completely coat the eggs with mineral oil, they will last several months in the frig.
Washed eggs have porous shells no longer protected from anything like germs & virus getting in them . . . including mineral oil . . . which is a preventer of good digestion, so I would AVOID doing this! (Plus, the natural protective membrane that washing removes allows air to get into the egg . . . mineral oil will not. Not sure what -if any- neg. effect that might have.)

Old 10-10-2022, 11:19 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I find this hard to believe. . . . I seriously doubt grocery stores do float tests on dozens and dozens of eggs.
Maybe not float-tests, but they might remove uncracked & still clean eggs from cartons with cracked eggs in them, & put them into clean cartons. (IDK if any do this, or not. They might just throw out the entire dozen w/ only 1 cracked egg in it. IDK)

Old 10-10-2022, 12:13 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Maybe not float-tests, but they might remove uncracked & still clean eggs from cartons with cracked eggs in them, & put them into clean cartons. (IDK if any do this, or not. They might just throw out the entire dozen w/ only 1 cracked egg in it. IDK)
When I get eggs at Trader Joe's, I always check them, and if there is a cracked one, I replace it with a good one. There is usually a carton there with five or six cracked eggs already from people who have done the same thing. And I'm pretty sure that the employees in the back do the same thing, to "fix" the egg cartons that have a damaged egg or two.

It seems really silly to throw out eleven good eggs because one is cracked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink