Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 11:49 PM

936 posts, read 822,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Eight O'Clock coffee is the best less expensive coffee. I didn't drink coffee growing up, but I remember how they use to grind the beans at the check-out registers at the A&P grocery stores.
Yes, I remember walking into the A&P store as a kid (more than 50 years ago) and smelling nothing but coffee in the air. It was heavenly. Eight O'Clock Coffee was the signature house brand for the A&P grocery chain. If I remember correctly, if you spent more than $10 or $15 at the A&P they would give you a couple of pounds of coffee for free. (This was back in the day, of course, when $15 in groceries would fill the whole back of your car and would feed the whole family for a week. Today $15 buys next to nothing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 03:45 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is interesting. 31 well-known coffee brands have been rated from best to the worse. Each paragraph describes why. I'm not surprised to see the coffee that came in 31st. I tried it decades ago and found it disgusting. I never forgot the experience.

I'd been a fan of Eight O'Clock coffee for years, but lately it doesn't taste the same. I suspect, like everything else, the quality has been lowered in order to prevent a price hike. I don't know.

At the suggestion of a neighbor, I tried a bag of Starbuck's Sumatra last week. Wow! You know you're drinking coffee when you drink that - hearty, bold, intense. It instantly became my new brand even though it's around $3 more per bag than the Eight O'Clock.

I usually take my coffee with cream, but I enjoy it black too. No sugar for me.

What's your favorite coffee? Is it on the list?

https://www.tastingtable.com/718678/...worst-to-best/
This is going to sound snobby but that's not the reason why I do it. I buy coffee and bulk from a local roaster because it's sold as a store brand and it's cheap. I like the cafe brand because for the price range I think it's the best you can get. I'm a cheapskate but I'm a cheapskate with a little bit of taste.

Ugly enough height never heard of most of those brands.

Folgers Maxwell House Starbucks I'm surprised they didn't see Sanka on there. Community was the hoity-toity one when I was a child but I think that was just a marketing gimmick.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:48 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,586 times
My husband and I like to go to locally owned coffee shops and I have found that, if the shop features locally roasted coffee, it's a good place to buy a bag of beans. Fresh roasted beans are far superior to what I what can buy in the grocery store.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:10 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
My husband and I like to go to locally owned coffee shops and I have found that, if the shop features locally roasted coffee, it's a good place to buy a bag of beans. Fresh roasted beans are far superior to what I what can buy in the grocery store.
Small coffee cafes are excellent places to purchase small amounts of coffee beans. They don't care if you buy one pound of one type of coffee or several bags of various beans equaling one pound. It's a great way to sample different coffees worldwide.

I enjoy flavored coffee now and then. When I find Orange Seville I will always buy a 1/4 pound. Yummy! Reminds me of the creamsicles I ate as a kid.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:03 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Glad to see Intelligentsia up there.

A couple of brands I prefer to any listed are Cubita and Serrano from Cuba and Tonino Lamborghini from Italy.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:25 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Maybe it's just me. But I had to go out and buy an all stainless steel electric percolator. To me, coffee makers with plastic components make coffee that tastes like burned plastic. Anyone else experience this?

I usually go with dark roast gevalia, peets or caribou. Eight O'Clock isn't bad and I'm not above mixing it with the more expensive brand coffee.....
I don't prepare coffee in devices with plastic either. I use a stainless steel cooking pan and boil a pre-measured amount of water (300 ml) that will fill my glass coffee mug perfectly. Just as the water is starting to boil, I remove the pan from the stove top element and add a heaping scoop (about 22 grams) of ground coffee. The coffee is ground to a diameter for filter coffee, not expresso. I stir the coffee in the pan and put the top on for a minute or two and let the flavor set in. Then I pour the coffee blend from the pan through a #4 coffee filter in a cone on top of my mug. The result is a simple and pretty quick way to make a good cup of coffee with no plastic stuff and no fancy machines. Clean up is quick and easy too.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:36 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
I found a brand of Arabica coffee in the grocery store that is actually cheaper (and better!) than the plastic canister crap. It's called Harmony Bay and comes in a large bag, I think it may be 40 ounces.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:12 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,694,145 times
Dunkin Donuts coffee is weak, blah.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:58 AM

1,462 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I don't prepare coffee in devices with plastic either. I use a stainless steel cooking pan and boil a pre-measured amount of water (300 ml) that will fill my glass coffee mug perfectly. Just as the water is starting to boil, I remove the pan from the stove top element and add a heaping scoop (about 22 grams) of ground coffee. The coffee is ground to a diameter for filter coffee, not expresso. I stir the coffee in the pan and put the top on for a minute or two and let the flavor set in. Then I pour the coffee blend from the pan through a #4 coffee filter in a cone on top of my mug. The result is a simple and pretty quick way to make a good cup of coffee with no plastic stuff and no fancy machines. Clean up is quick and easy too.
This looks great. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2022, 10:11 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
This sounds similar to my Melitta I purchased a long time ago for $1. It's worth it's weight in gold when the power goes out. It's a plastic cone that sits on a single coffee mug. Slap in a filter and some coffee grinds to taste and then slowly pour in hot water. It takes some time for the water to seep through the grounds and filter, but the end result is a delicious cup of coffee.

I bought some Jim Beam Bourbon-flavored coffee today. I just brewed a cup. It isn't very good. It doesn't taste like bourbon or coffee. It's a very strange drink, actually. Has anyone tried it?

Also, I was in the Dollar Tree and saw a six-ounce brick of Cafe-el Marro Espresso for $1.25. I'm kicking myself now for not buying it. The next time to go back I'm going to pick up a brick of this stuff. Has anyone ever tried this coffee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink