Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2022, 11:32 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
This is going to sound snobby but that's not the reason why I do it. I buy coffee and bulk from a local roaster because it's sold as a store brand and it's cheap. I like the cafe brand because for the price range I think it's the best you can get. I'm a cheapskate but I'm a cheapskate with a little bit of taste.

Ugly enough height never heard of most of those brands.

Folgers Maxwell House Starbucks I'm surprised they didn't see Sanka on there. Community was the hoity-toity one when I was a child but I think that was just a marketing gimmick.

Not snobby ... you like what you like. That is why there are so many coffees out there.

My favorite is a local roaster, too. But I have had bad coffee from local roasters as well. Just like local breweries, some are very good and some are simply figuring it out (in the Twin Cities, we have lots of both local coffee roasters and local breweries ... where there is more competition in Minneapolis and St. Paul, those who are good stay in business; in the suburbs, even mediocre last longer than one might expect).

From that list of more-broadly accessible coffees, Seattle's Best and Caribou are the ones we often brew at home and at work it is Cafe Bustelo. But I see others there that are getting attention in this thread that I will seek out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 02:31 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Dunkin Donuts coffee is weak, blah.
Do you prefer robust flavor?

Old 11-08-2022, 04:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Everyone in my family loves our coffee. Except one sister. So she keeps a jar of Nescafe at her house, for our benefit (she thinks.)

Nescafe just makes me sad. :-(
That's not coffee. That's ground dirt! And I don't even drink coffee.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:41 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is interesting. 31 well-known coffee brands have been rated from best to the worse. Each paragraph describes why. I'm not surprised to see the coffee that came in 31st. I tried it decades ago and found it disgusting. I never forgot the experience.

I'd been a fan of Eight O'Clock coffee for years, but lately it doesn't taste the same. I suspect, like everything else, the quality has been lowered in order to prevent a price hike. I don't know.

At the suggestion of a neighbor, I tried a bag of Starbuck's Sumatra last week. Wow! You know you're drinking coffee when you drink that - hearty, bold, intense. It instantly became my new brand even though it's around $3 more per bag than the Eight O'Clock.

I usually take my coffee with cream, but I enjoy it black too. No sugar for me.

What's your favorite coffee? Is it on the list?

https://www.tastingtable.com/718678/...worst-to-best/
# 13. Bustelo. Rich and favorful strong coffee. I make it in Melitta cone, pour over coffee, and take it with hot milk and sugar. Yumm.
My best was one I had ground in a bakery, an Ethiopian Peaberry. Hard to get Peaberry, only Arabica.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
# 13. Bustelo. Rich and favorful strong coffee. I make it in Melitta cone, pour over coffee, and take it with hot milk and sugar. Yumm.
My best was one I had ground in a bakery, an Ethiopian Peaberry. Hard to get Peaberry, only Arabica.
Peaberry coffee is heavenly.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:03 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,805,469 times
MN, when we had a stop at the airport, son went for Caribou; on the Olympic Peninsula, 2 hours west of Seattle, I enjoy Seattle's Best..

Power outage due to horrendous wind storm, son, family came to my home for breakfast. For my measurements, 2 tablespoons for 8 ounces of water. They required 3 tablespoons, black !

This is coffee country. Seems an expresso kiosk on every corner and/or store.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:10 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
MN, when we had a stop at the airport, son went for Caribou; on the Olympic Peninsula, 2 hours west of Seattle, I enjoy Seattle's Best..

Power outage due to horrendous wind storm, son, family came to my home for breakfast. For my measurements, 2 tablespoons for 8 ounces of water. They required 3 tablespoons, black !

Yuck. Are you sure it isn't teaspoons?

Old 11-09-2022, 07:48 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

I use 4 tablespoons of my blended bean mixture to 16ozs water. Then add some freshly ground cinnamon, cloves and cardamom seed so that the drip infuses the coffee. Works for me.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:45 AM

9,284 posts, read 14,897,165 times
I'd like to see a list divided by strong dark blends and mild Columbian type blends.

There seem to be two camps, so don't tell me Starbucks is great if I hate strong dark brews.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:29 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
There is regular Cafe Bustelo, and there is Cafe Bustelo made with 100 percent Arabica beans. I just thought regular CB was a heavily-roasted robusta-laden coffee for espresso/Cuban-style coffee drinkers.
BTW, did you know Vietnam is the world’s second-largest producer of coffee beans, nearly all robusta?
^^^ This. There are two coffees I used to see being used in Miami to make Cuban coffee - Bustelo and Pilon. Both are good, Bustelo might edge out Pilon. I'm surprised Pilon wasn't in the listing.

Chock full O Nuts has a couple different roasts, and the consistency from can to can seems to be spotty. I liken it to the cheap Black Label beer I used to get in Vermont. Sometimes it was horrid, other times it was simply fantastic. I keep using it and sometimes am rewarded. (What was that Skinner box technique of intermittent rewards being most addictive?) New York roast actually does taste like coffee I used to have in the city.

For a long time I used 8 O'clock ground at home, but my experience was like another poster that I just got tired of it.

Maxwell House canned used to be a reliable in the 1970s. I tried it again a couple years ago and ended up throwing the can out after two cups.

Community coffee is always a laugh for me. The amount of coffee used per cup by my wife's sister was about twice the amount used in double strong expresso, and that was apparently common in Louisiana.

For now, CFON as morning coffee, Bustelo expresso as Cuban coffee for something more during the day. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink