Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2022, 11:42 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times

Advertisements

Cafe Bustelo has gotten many great reviews in here, yet it's the most inexpensive coffee in the supermarket. Interesting.

Sometimes I add cinnamon to the grinds. Someone else just mentioned cloves. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 11:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
My personal opinion...worth nothing. I love steak. I want it to taste like steak ---no sauces, no
mesquite rubs.
I love coffee - no flavorings.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:04 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,305 times
My DW and I are both pure, black coffee drinkers. Have had many of the supermarket brands. Some number of years ago, my wife fell in love with the Starbuck's Christmas blend. So, each year, when their 1lb bags of beans go on sale, we purchase 40 bags. Grind as needed and lasts the full year.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Cafe Bustelo has gotten many great reviews in here, yet it's the most inexpensive coffee in the supermarket. Interesting.

Sometimes I add cinnamon to the grinds. Someone else just mentioned cloves. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tips.
The cinnamon, cloves and cardamom I add, all just enhance and heighten the taste of the coffee. It is not done like it is here in the US where the flavorings are used to make some sweet confection. The spices I mentioned are commonly used throughout Arabia and Ethiopia.

Old 11-09-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The cinnamon, cloves and cardamom I add, all just enhance and heighten the taste of the coffee. It is not done like it is here in the US where the flavorings are used to make some sweet confection. The spices I mentioned are commonly used throughout Arabia and Ethiopia.
Flavored coffee beans don't have any sweetness or sugar added to them, at least not that I can detect. I hate sweet coffee. Somehow, the cherry flavor (or whatever flavor used) is infused... I think? I don't really know how they do it, but the coffee from the flavored beans is not sweet. The liquid flavored creamers are certainly not for me either.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of cardamom. I'll have to check it out. Usually I buy the $1 spice jars, so maybe the Cardamom is too expensive to put with the cheaper powders? LOL.

But let me ask this for clarity. Do you add all three at once -- the cinnamon, cloves and cardamom?

Old 11-09-2022, 04:39 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Flavored coffee beans don't have any sweetness or sugar added to them, at least not that I can detect. I hate sweet coffee. Somehow, the cherry flavor (or whatever flavor used) is infused... I think? I don't really know how they do it, but the coffee from the flavored beans is not sweet. The liquid flavored creamers are certainly not for me either.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of cardamom. I'll have to check it out. Usually I buy the $1 spice jars, so maybe the Cardamom is too expensive to put with the cheaper powders? LOL.

But let me ask this for clarity. Do you add all three at once -- the cinnamon, cloves and cardamom?
When I mentioned about the sweet confections, I meant the stuff that coffee shops make like Frappes, and all the creamy, caramel stuff, as that's when they add their spice mixture and syrups. I don't drink that stuff. I grind my blend of beans and put the coffee in the filter, then I grind the spices and just sprinkle that over the ground coffee. For a 16oz brew I use a small piece of cinnamon stick (size of a fingernail), 4-5 cloves, and a couple of cardamom seeds (this is available at any Indian store). The cardamom is optional, the cinnamon and cloves I use more often. As the water drips over the coffee and spices, the flavors all come together. The spices heighten the flavor of the coffee for me.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:45 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
I buy Kroger. For some reason it isn't on the list.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
At least 25 of the coffees on that list of 31 I've never even heard of or seen on the shelves here, but that's okay since I wasn't looking for anything better. I've been enjoying Lavazza brand of coffees for around 4 decades now so I was happy to see Lavazza was 3rd on the list. They have a good variety to choose from, they're never bitter. After trying them all I find I like the Lavazza Oro best. I only drink one mug of coffee a day, I brew it up in an old fashioned percolator and the Oro smells so fantastic as it's perking first thing in the morning, the smell alone is enough to make me wide awake. Another plus is that the Lavazza coffees aren't particularly expensive here so that's a bonus.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:18 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
^^^ This. There are two coffees I used to see being used in Miami to make Cuban coffee - Bustelo and Pilon. Both are good, Bustelo might edge out Pilon. I'm surprised Pilon wasn't in the listing.

Chock full O Nuts has a couple different roasts, and the consistency from can to can seems to be spotty. I liken it to the cheap Black Label beer I used to get in Vermont. Sometimes it was horrid, other times it was simply fantastic. I keep using it and sometimes am rewarded. (What was that Skinner box technique of intermittent rewards being most addictive?) New York roast actually does taste like coffee I used to have in the city.

For a long time I used 8 O'clock ground at home, but my experience was like another poster that I just got tired of it.

Maxwell House canned used to be a reliable in the 1970s. I tried it again a couple years ago and ended up throwing the can out after two cups.

Community coffee is always a laugh for me. The amount of coffee used per cup by my wife's sister was about twice the amount used in double strong expresso, and that was apparently common in Louisiana.

For now, CFON as morning coffee, Bustelo expresso as Cuban coffee for something more during the day. YMMV
Pilon is no match for Bustelo.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
When I mentioned about the sweet confections, I meant the stuff that coffee shops make like Frappes, and all the creamy, caramel stuff, as that's when they add their spice mixture and syrups. I don't drink that stuff. I grind my blend of beans and put the coffee in the filter, then I grind the spices and just sprinkle that over the ground coffee. For a 16oz brew I use a small piece of cinnamon stick (size of a fingernail), 4-5 cloves, and a couple of cardamom seeds (this is available at any Indian store). The cardamom is optional, the cinnamon and cloves I use more often. As the water drips over the coffee and spices, the flavors all come together. The spices heighten the flavor of the coffee for me.
Thanks arlguy. I'll try some cinn. and clove later today. Sounds yummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
At least 25 of the coffees on that list of 31 I've never even heard of or seen on the shelves here, but that's okay since I wasn't looking for anything better. I've been enjoying Lavazza brand of coffees for around 4 decades now so I was happy to see Lavazza was 3rd on the list. They have a good variety to choose from, they're never bitter. After trying them all I find I like the Lavazza Oro best. I only drink one mug of coffee a day, I brew it up in an old fashioned percolator and the Oro smells so fantastic as it's perking first thing in the morning, the smell alone is enough to make me wide awake. Another plus is that the Lavazza coffees aren't particularly expensive here so that's a bonus.

When you mentioned percolator, it brought back wonderful memories of coffee aroma throughout the house. Percs were all they had back in the 50s/60s when I was growing up.

Can anyone attest to the taste difference between drip and perc? Is one better than the other, outside of the aroma? I can't smell coffee brewing in a drip maker, unless it's a flavored coffee, which are OK now and then but not preferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink