Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2022, 08:12 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The cinnamon, cloves and cardamom I add, all just enhance and heighten the taste of the coffee. It is not done like it is here in the US where the flavorings are used to make some sweet confection. The spices I mentioned are commonly used throughout Arabia and Ethiopia.
Cafe de Olla is made with spices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_de_olla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 10:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Thanks arlguy. I'll try some cinn. and clove later today. Sounds yummy.

When you mentioned percolator, it brought back wonderful memories of coffee aroma throughout the house. Percs were all they had back in the 50s/60s when I was growing up.

Can anyone attest to the taste difference between drip and perc? Is one better than the other, outside of the aroma? I can't smell coffee brewing in a drip maker, unless it's a flavored coffee, which are OK now and then but not preferred.
I find there is definitely a difference which is why percolating is preferable to me. With the percolator you have more control over the intensity and "richness" of the taste, colour and aroma you want. With an automatic drip coffee maker the hot water gets run through the coffee grounds only once and you're done when the reservoir is empty. If it's not as strong as you want, well too bad, so sad for you because you can't run the liquid through the grounds again. Another drawback of an automatic drip coffee maker is that it's rather wasteful, you have to use more coffee grounds in it than you would use in a percolator to get an equivalent flavour.

Whereas with the percolator the boiling water is being recirculated through the coffee grounds over and over until you deem it exactly ready for your own tastes. The thing you need to be careful about with the percolator is to not over-do it and perc it for so long that it takes on a bitter or burnt taste. (old timers use baked egg shells in the pot to prevent bitterness) You can usually tell when it's ready to your preferences from the aroma of the steam coming from the spout. Or by timing it as it percs.

An oddity is that percolated coffee leaves a pleasant "tingle" and after-taste on the tongue that dripped coffee doesn't.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-10-2022 at 10:13 AM..

Old 11-10-2022, 10:34 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Not on the list, but Santo Domingo Dominican coffee is excellent. Easy to find at spanish grocery stores in NYC, the northeast and Florida. Can also find it on amazon and ebay.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:58 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I don't prepare coffee in devices with plastic either. I use a stainless steel cooking pan and boil a pre-measured amount of water (300 ml) that will fill my glass coffee mug perfectly. Just as the water is starting to boil, I remove the pan from the stove top element and add a heaping scoop (about 22 grams) of ground coffee. The coffee is ground to a diameter for filter coffee, not expresso. I stir the coffee in the pan and put the top on for a minute or two and let the flavor set in. Then I pour the coffee blend from the pan through a #4 coffee filter in a cone on top of my mug. The result is a simple and pretty quick way to make a good cup of coffee with no plastic stuff and no fancy machines. Clean up is quick and easy too.
The cone is plastic, yes.
I read somewhere that the woman who invented Melitta cone filter made her coffee this way as well. Does the pan not get stained?
I tried this method and indeed makes good coffee. I heated the milk in a mug first and poured the coffee through a cone filter. Takes the same time as putting the coffee in the filter and pour boiling water as a pour over coffee. But the coffee probably has more time to steep, like tea.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:42 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,073,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
At least 25 of the coffees on that list of 31 I've never even heard of or seen on the shelves here, but that's okay since I wasn't looking for anything better. I've been enjoying Lavazza brand of coffees for around 4 decades now so I was happy to see Lavazza was 3rd on the list. They have a good variety to choose from, they're never bitter. After trying them all I find I like the Lavazza Oro best. I only drink one mug of coffee a day, I brew it up in an old fashioned percolator and the Oro smells so fantastic as it's perking first thing in the morning, the smell alone is enough to make me wide awake. Another plus is that the Lavazza coffees aren't particularly expensive here so that's a bonus.

We have a camping percolator that I keep in the kitchen to use from time-to-time on the stove (my wife is not a fan, of either the time it takes or the clean up, so she always opts for the electric kettle/French press combo). But, if I am up before here on the weekend, I will use it.

For me, it is hit-or-miss ... either really wonderful or my lack of attention leads to boilover and/or burnt taste. But if I pay attention, fantastic coffee. I have thrown egg shells in the grounds and it does seem to make a difference in regard to bitterness.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:23 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Cafe de Olla is made with spices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_de_olla
Interesting, but I prefer to add my own spices. I do use Piloncillo or Panela to sweeten it.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:08 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Pilon is no match for Bustelo.
You may be right. I intend to make espresso from a fresh package of each over the next few days (please ignore the plinking sounds from my ceiling and walls as I hit them). You have me curious!

IIRC, Pilon tended to an almost smoky flavor (overcooked beans?)

I may regret this...

Old 11-10-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You may be right. I intend to make espresso from a fresh package of each over the next few days (please ignore the plinking sounds from my ceiling and walls as I hit them). You have me curious!

IIRC, Pilon tended to an almost smoky flavor (overcooked beans?)

I may regret this...
Pilon lacked the aroma of Bustelo. No match.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:47 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Pilon lacked the aroma of Bustelo. No match.
You will NOT get me to make expresso just before the evening wind down to bed! No!

Old 11-10-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
you will not get me to make expresso just before the evening wind down to bed! No! :d :d :d
lol. :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink