Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2022, 06:59 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This is interesting. 31 well-known coffee brands have been rated from best to the worse. Each paragraph describes why. I'm not surprised to see the coffee that came in 31st. I tried it decades ago and found it disgusting. I never forgot the experience.

I'd been a fan of Eight O'Clock coffee for years, but lately it doesn't taste the same. I suspect, like everything else, the quality has been lowered in order to prevent a price hike. I don't know.

At the suggestion of a neighbor, I tried a bag of Starbuck's Sumatra last week. Wow! You know you're drinking coffee when you drink that - hearty, bold, intense. It instantly became my new brand even though it's around $3 more per bag than the Eight O'Clock.

I usually take my coffee with cream, but I enjoy it black too. No sugar for me.

What's your favorite coffee? Is it on the list?

https://www.tastingtable.com/718678/...worst-to-best/
I will admit that I'm a coffee snob! My favorite coffee is Starbucks Cafe Verona and I put cream in mine too! Any other coffee gives me terrible heartburn and doesn't taste good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 09:58 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Agree with drip or Keurig, but not the case for me when it comes to cold brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciKS View Post
I hafta have creamer and sweetner. Plain coffee is gross. LOL

Old 11-27-2022, 06:47 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
I don't care how anybody takes their coffee (cream, sugar, flavoring, black).

As long as you enjoy it, it's all good.

Bottoms up, everybody.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:05 AM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Quote:
My problem is I only want to make one cup of coffee at a time, two at the most.

Also, I seem to recall percolators spitting up a brown mess all over the kitchen counter. Do they still do that, or have they improved over the decades?
No brown mess ever with my Hamilton Beach percolator. I love it because I have a nose for burned plastic like a blood hound and the HB percolator is all stainless steel.

ETA" It's an electric coffee percolator.

Last edited by Shallow Hal; 11-30-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-30-2022, 09:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,839 times
Quote:
There's no way I'll go to the trouble of using eggs, shells, strainers and boiling water to make coffee, but thanks for the video. It gave me a laugh.

Someone else mentioned the quality of tap water. That's an excellent point.

Our tap water smells like chlorine all the time. Neither of us can drink it, so we buy bottled. We use the bottled water to make our coffee too. If your tap water is wonky, so will the coffee taste wonky. We buy the cheapest jugs of water from Walmart and Aldi's. We use tap for everything else. The town water authority insists it's safe to drink, but...seriously, it shouldn't smell like that. Ever.

Interesting point.

I have found that both the city water in my winter home AND the very clear flavorless (spring?) well water in my summer home both make horrible coffee. Tastes like mule p-$$. Ugh. So, I use a filter (undersink inline version in one place, and the refrigerator filtered water in the other place). Makes all the difference in the world. My undersink filter puts out perfectly coffee-worthy water at a normal flow rate (I researched those devices before I bought one - some are pretty flow restrictive, some aren't).

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-30-2022 at 10:43 PM..

Old 01-01-2023, 12:02 PM

4,025 posts, read 2,712,143 times
Well, my favorite isn't on the list--Dazbog. Particularly the White Nights blend.

I've tried several of the brands on the list--I have a bag of Caribou coffee in my house right now. I think it's okay, but not great. Death Wish also struck me as okay. Starbucks can be hit or miss.

In regards to Cafe du Monde's chicory coffee--I went to visit a friend down there a few years ago, and she took me there, and my first sip, I was....ugh. *However*, I then followed up with a bite of my beignet, and found that the chicory was a perfect counterbalance to the overwhelming sweetness of the beignet. So I would recommend it--so long as you take a bite of the beignet first.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:09 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,768 times
I say, try coffee from here - just delicious - my brother gave me some for Christmas.

https://www.espressorepublic.com

Old 01-02-2023, 06:56 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
I bought some Bustelo on the recommendation of others on this thread. Put it in the freezer to wait until Christmas when I would be making coffee. Got it out and made some last week when we had our postponed Christmas family gathering. Question: how long will it keep? We are not coffee makers. Could I put it back in the freezer to wait for another family gathering or is that thrift to the point of "Ugh!"

Old 01-02-2023, 08:41 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times
I love Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut coffee. not sweet, but i can taste a nutty flavor which makes it sweet.

I brew a pot of it on my Mr Coffee. I fill the whole water tank with water. I use one or two scoops of coffee. after it brews it looks like tea.. but i love it!

my kids come by and make coffee and they always put in more scoops and it tastes the same to me.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:29 AM

3,448 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Coffee is crazy expensive now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink