Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2023, 05:25 AM

16,003 posts, read 7,056,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
My daily is Costco Kirkland Columbian although that is often more expensive than Starbucks French Roast (whole bean, also at Costco). If I find it on sale I prefer Peets Major Dickason's. very yummy. dark.
I get the Cosctco dark roast. Very good for pour over coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 07:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 1,691,658 times
I think Starbucks is pretty smart making people identify that dark roast is their signature flavor. But when you go drink it, the way they make it the coffee is burnt not because of the roast because they brew with such a high heat and fast method it doesn't allow for the aroma of the coffee to stay. The oils are evaporated and what you have is a very strong burnt smokey coffee.

You take the same beans they have and brew the coffee properly by hand then you have a different cup. There's more depth, you have the richness of the coffee aroma and the smokey roast together.

This is why I almost get espresso because it has to be freshly made and flavor locked in.

Majority of people drink starbucks coffee and never had it made by made to know the difference.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,161,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Thankfully mine is not on the list. Growing up we had Maxwell house, Folgers, chock full O nuts, and Martinsen's. I drink Newman's own extra bold or I buy the Store brand Extra bold which tastes just as good.

On topic- when I can find Maxwell House I buy it up.

I used to love Costco's house brand of coffee but my tastes changed.

I currently drink a brand that's big in my region but I don't want to name it here for privacy reasons.

Old 03-25-2023, 10:45 AM

1,055 posts, read 801,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I used to buy and grind my own coffee beans. It was fun. I'd mix the beans and strengths according to my preference for that day.

Can anyone recommend a really good decaf? I've tried many. The only one I liked was Door County Decaf Cherry Creme, but I'm not usually in the mood for a flavored coffee.
I'm more extreme than you. I buy green beans and roast them myself. I have not found a decent decaf.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:33 PM

12,519 posts, read 9,606,846 times
Out of the ones I've had on that list....
  1. Peets
  2. Starbucks
  3. Seattle's Best
  4. Gevalia
  5. Eight O'Clock
  6. Green Mountain Coffee Roaster
  7. New England Coffee
  8. Dunkin Donuts
  9. Folgers
  10. Yuban
  11. Chock Full o' Nuts
  12. Maxwell House

I generally drink Peets and Starbucks these days as it's available in local supermarkets and it's pretty darned good. I also drink some New England brands like:
- Vermont Coffee Company -> I'd rate about equal with Gevalia and Seattle's Best
- No 6 Depot Roastery - outstanding coffee roasted in the Berkshire Mountains -> top of the heap!
- Coffee on the Porch - outstanding coffee roasted in Mid-Coast Maine -> top of the heap!

Old 03-27-2023, 04:18 AM

5,768 posts, read 11,393,006 times
I was out for a Sunday morning bike ride through a bunch of small towns west of Chemnitz, and stopped at a gas station convenience store. There was nothing else open in the town for coffee and a snack on a Sunday morning. The C-store brewed me a cup of Lavazza coffee from one of those instant brewing machines (as opposed to drip filter coffee), and it was top notch. It's rare to get that good of a coffee at a C-store, I was impressed. So Lavazza gets some gold stars from me.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:46 AM

61,832 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Lavazza Oro and Rossa are one of the best coffees in the world.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:10 AM

Hmmm - maybe I need to try Lavazza - they have it right at my usual supermarket, I've just never tried it. Two-for-two glowing reviews here.

And for anyone adventurous, try Coffee on the Porch out of midcoast Maine. It's actually being made by a schoolteacher who began roasting as a hobby, and then friends and acquaintances (and their demand) convinced him to go commercial. It's still a small operation. All I can say is, this guy knows what he is doing - in selecting, roasting and blending beans. He has many products, but a good place to start is his House Blend. Five different coffees go into it - you can see the different tones of the various beans in the picture, and the result is smooth, complex and rich flavor. The default is whole bean, but you can request it ground in your order notes if you desire.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-27-2023 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-27-2023, 06:22 PM

Well, as luck would have it, Lavazza ground coffee as $4 off at Shaws Supermarket when I swung through tonight for some other items, so I picked up some Gran Aroma and Classico. They only had the three varieties, but hopefully these guys are still good. Once I get though my "*Equal Exchange Organic Mind, Body and Soul", I am on to the promised land - Lavazza. :-)

*Never had that before either

Old 03-27-2023, 09:48 PM

15,538 posts, read 10,521,878 times
I can't drink coffee anymore due to acid reflux. I really miss it. My favorites were Kona Coffee and Blue Mountain Jamaca. I'm sure I could not afford them anymore. Funny thing, my mom made a great cup of coffee using Maxwell House and a corning ware or metal percolator, I never could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink