Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 04:47 AM

936 posts, read 822,522 times

Advertisements

It's almost impossible to find in any regular grocery store, but my favorite coffee brand is Douwe Egberts from Holland. OMG! Great coffee every time if my make it with a good, high quality machine that actually gets the water hot. (In other words, not Mr. Coffee.)

Fortunately, my family if from an area of the US with a lot of Dutch heritage (I'm part Dutch myself), so I can easily buy it a nearby import shop that specializes in Dutch goodies. Douwe Egberts coffee has been around in Holland for about 270 years.

It frustrates me that it's not sold in US grocery stores. About 15 years ago the Sara Lee Corp bought the US rights to Douwe Egberts but they refuse to sell it in US grocery stores. Instead they only sell it to restaurants and caterers in the US. Some of the swankiest restaurants across the US serve Douwe Egberts from Holland as their "house coffee." That's why their coffee tastes so good. (--Shhhh! That's a secret you're not supposed to know.)

Last edited by RDM66; 03-01-2024 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 10:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
MyCoffee. Smooth and mild, organic.

https://mystore.com/mycoffee-subscription

Old 03-02-2024, 06:15 PM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Lately I've been buying Peet's. It's $10.99 for a small bag, but still cheap when you compare it to paying $3 for a cup of coffee out somewhere. It's on sale right now at my supermarket for $6.99, so I am stocking up.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:46 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lately I've been buying Peet's. It's $10.99 for a small bag, but still cheap when you compare it to paying $3 for a cup of coffee out somewhere. It's on sale right now at my supermarket for $6.99, so I am stocking up.
I am a big fan of Peet's. I often visit the closest store near me in Tarzana which is right next to my favorite local guitar shop (Norm's Rare Guitars) for my fix. I also get the Major Dickason's dark roast for home brew. Its $21.00 at my local Target for 22 K-cups and $16.00 for the 18oz whole bean.

Not at all a fan of Dunkin. I rate them right there at the bottom with Folgers instant with the "flavor crystals". What is surprisingly really really good is Taster's Choice French Roast instant coffee (for those who like instant).

Old 03-05-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I am a big fan of Peet's. I often visit the closest store near me in Tarzana which is right next to my favorite local guitar shop (Norm's Rare Guitars) for my fix. I also get the Major Dickason's dark roast for home brew. Its $21.00 at my local Target for 22 K-cups and $16.00 for the 18oz whole bean.

Not at all a fan of Dunkin. I rate them right there at the bottom with Folgers instant with the "flavor crystals". What is surprisingly really really good is Taster's Choice French Roast instant coffee (for those who like instant).
Not a fan of Dunkin, either. I don't like weak coffee. I seem to remember that it used to be better, had a rich, distinct flavor, like 40 years ago when I first had it. Now it just tastes like warm dishwater.

I was staying in Canada for a while, and up there they don't have Dunkin, but they have Tim Horton's. I found it very similar, but Canadians I knew said the same thing that we say about Dunkin. It used to be better than it is now.

I bet both chains started using less coffee to save money, and that's why it's weak and tasteless now.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:13 AM

I did try that Community Coffee when they had it for a time on sale at my supermarket. It was pretty decent, but I don't see it anymore. Maybe they were just testing the market in our area. It's one of those products that proclaims it was around for a hundred years but nobody I knew ever heard of it, probably because it was regional.

ETA: Yep, family-owned business from South Louisiana, dates back to 1919. I guess they were trying to expand.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did try that Community Coffee when they had it for a time on sale at my supermarket. It was pretty decent, but I don't see it anymore. Maybe they were just testing the market in our area. It's one of those products that proclaims it was around for a hundred years but nobody I knew ever heard of it, probably because it was regional.

ETA: Yep, family-owned business from South Louisiana, dates back to 1919. I guess they were trying to expand.

I just started using a bag of Community Coffee EXTRA Dark Roast Coffee. It is quite excellent like most of the Community Coffee roasts.

Community Coffee is NOT available in wide parts of the country unless you have a specialty grocery store like Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati that will pay the freight from Louisiana to stock it (versus going through a broker). I have to admit that I usually buy CC when I visit Texas or Louisiana where I will buy it at HEB or Walmart.

One thing that I have noticed in my frequent travels across Louisiana is that no matter if you stop at a $100+ per plate restaurant or a quickie mart, nearly EVERYBODY serves Community Coffee.

Yes, it is a family run business and I have to admit that I almost applied for a career opportunity with them ten or fifteen years ago when they were recruiting for a position. I have that much respect for them and their product.

I do not generally order from them online as the shipping personnel does not know how to count. One time I order six bags of coffee and only get five. And a couple times later, I get seven.

====================================

I like Tom Horton's a lot. I will drive past a dozen Starbucks to get to a Tim Horton's for coffee. Just avoid the food at all costs in the US.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I just started using a bag of Community Coffee EXTRA Dark Roast Coffee. It is quite excellent like most of the Community Coffee roasts.

Community Coffee is NOT available in wide parts of the country unless you have a specialty grocery store like Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati that will pay the freight from Louisiana to stock it (versus going through a broker). I have to admit that I usually buy CC when I visit Texas or Louisiana where I will buy it at HEB or Walmart.

One thing that I have noticed in my frequent travels across Louisiana is that no matter if you stop at a $100+ per plate restaurant or a quickie mart, nearly EVERYBODY serves Community Coffee.

Yes, it is a family run business and I have to admit that I almost applied for a career opportunity with them ten or fifteen years ago when they were recruiting for a position. I have that much respect for them and their product.

I do not generally order from them online as the shipping personnel does not know how to count. One time I order six bags of coffee and only get five. And a couple times later, I get seven.

====================================

I like Tim Horton's a lot. I will drive past a dozen Starbucks to get to a Tim Horton's for coffee. Just avoid the food at all costs in the US.
Even though I am not a big fan of Tim Horton's, I too would drive past a dozen Starbucks to get coffee there instead.

Awful, awful, old, burnt-tasting stuff, Starbucks. I am truly perplexed at how it can be so popular.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:14 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
Sometimes I get that 10oz Bustelo that is vacuum wrapped for $3.50 at DG. Drinking a cup right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink