Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2022, 10:59 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,786,747 times

Advertisements

I live in Mississippi, and Community Coffee is readily available and a reliably good brand. I think Starbucks is overrated and overpriced.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 10:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Very important to notate when discussing "coffee". Coffee should be in my opinion compared unaltered, not diluted by a third or more with creamer and a few teaspoons of sweetener. Those who rail about Starbucks for instance being burnt or bitter, clearly don't have the palate for drinking coffee. A good roasted coffee will have depth of flavor that includes bitterness, smokiness and some acidity.
In your opinion. FWIW, to me the Pike roast tastes like dish soap, so no amount of altering changes it. I got a set of k-cups one time and kept wondering what my issue was washing out my coffee cup, until I realized after ordering it drip from the store that’s just how I taste that roast. Before they got the Nitro cold brews, they also used Pike for cold brew and I couldn’t realize before then why I hated that as well. Another issue I have specifically with Starbucks drip coffee is that it gives me heartburn. I don’t have that issue with Peet’s, Lavazza, or Caribou.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:35 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
My husband only drinks Starbucks, so that’s what I buy. If it were only me, I’d buy whatever is on sale and make it worth. Love oat, plant, or almond milk in my coffee with a couple of tablespoons of flavored creamer.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:58 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,152,668 times
Lavazza Tierra is my current favorite, but nothing compares to Kona coffee from a small plantation on the Big Island, especially the Geisha bean some places have cultivated there.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:59 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Well, as someone who does not like Starbucks coffee...

How could Tim Hortons AND Seattles Best fall below Folgers???

And Dunkin is higher then it should be IMO

I do love Cafe Bustelo and Green Mountain, but i have had Hortons and Seattles Best from time to time...
Yes, seeing Starbucks that high on the list is suspicious. Awful stuff. A local roaster explained to me that normally coffee is roasted at X temp for 14 minutes but that Starbucks roasts at 8 minutes at a very high temp, hence the burnt taste--which, apparently, some people like. However, I suspect that part of their popularity is a younger customer base that likes the flavored feu-feu trendy coffee drinks with cream things and sweeteners that hide the bad taste and really don't know what good coffee tastes like.

Dunkin was once good, now is dishwatery and weak, and from what I hear, Tim's was good once too and is now watery.

I buy a good coffee here in Ontario that is sold under the PresIdent's Choice label, available at supermarkets and drugstores. Strong, robust flavor.

I do like Peet's when I am home in the States. Would like to try the Café Bustelo. I always see it in the stores. A bit surprised that Community Coffee has been around so long. I thought it was a new brand. Showed up during COVID and was pretty cheap so I tried it. Was OK.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:01 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
To me Starbucks tastes like burnt rubber.

We've always drank Folgers, number seventeen on the list. Middle-of-the-road, good ol' Folgers.

It surprises me how much what coffee you drink has turned into some kind of status thing. But then when I think of immigrants to MN using roasted ground up grain or tree bark to make a hot, brown drink I suppose looking down at people who don't use the "right stuff" has been around a long time.

A story: My seventy-something high school friend turned Lutheran minister had us as guests one weekend. She took us to Starbucks for coffee. DH was frustrated with all the choices. "Can't I just get a plain, old cup of Folgers, black?"

My friend apologized to the server!

Old 11-05-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not buying that Folgers is ahead of arabica coffees like Peets or Seattles best. Or McCafe. Myself I buy Trader Joe's. Its still $4.99 a bag and I think it tastes terrific.

Best way to brew for me is a japanese pour over method. Seems to get the best out of my brew.
Oh yes, I forgot! I used to buy whole beans from Trader Joe's. Bolivian Blend, I think it was called. Miss that. It was very good. Miss a lot of things from TJ'S.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:04 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,152,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, seeing Starbucks that high on the list is suspicious. Awful stuff. A local roaster explained to me that normally coffee is roasted at X temp for 14 minutes but that Starbucks roasts at 8 minutes at a very high temp, hence the burnt taste--which, apparently, some people like. However, I suspect that part of their popularity is a younger customer base that likes the flavored feu-feu trendy coffee drinks with cream things and sweeteners that hide the bad taste and really don't know what good coffee tastes like.

Dunkin was once good, now is dishwatery and weak, and from what I hear, Tim's was good once too and is now watery.

I buy a good coffee here in Ontario that is sold under the PresIdent's Choice label, available at supermarkets and drugstores. Strong, robust flavor.

I do like Peet's when I am home in the States. Would like to try the Café Bustelo. I always see it in the stores. A bit surprised that Community Coffee has been around so long. I thought it was a new brand. Showed up during COVID and was pretty cheap so I tried it. Was OK.
Same thoughts here!
But, some years ago Starbucks came out with a coffee called Sulawesi, which was the bomb. Never understood how they let that one go.
The "Pike's Place" makes me want to order tea or hot chocolate. Awful stuff.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:07 PM

Was watching some game show once where they give clues one at a time. The answer was Starbucks, but I couldn't figure it out and neither could the contestants.

Clues were things like "company started in 1971" (REALLY? It's been around THAT long?), began in Seattle (had no idea) and my favorite, "Mermaid". Yup, that logo thing with the girl's face is supposed to be a mermaid. Who knew? Not me or any of the TV contestants lol.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:27 PM

9,133 posts, read 6,185,387 times
The best coffee to me is the one that is BOGO at Publix.

But not Starbucks. I don't care for it. Just about any other brand works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink