Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 12:09 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times

Advertisements

The best coffee?

Coffee that is organic.

Lots of toxins in coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 04:18 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not buying that Folgers is ahead of arabica coffees like Peets or Seattles best. Or McCafe. Myself I buy Trader Joe's. Its still $4.99 a bag and I think it tastes terrific.
I'm in total agreement. Trader Joe's House Blend is one of my favorite everyday coffees too. I only drink my coffee black, so I'm picky about my coffee. TJ's is great --and I'm amazed that they've kept the price at only $5. You can't beat it.

When I want to splurge and blow money I might pick up a bag of Peet's Cafe Domingo, their best coffee IMHO.

Last edited by RDM66; 11-06-2022 at 04:26 AM..

Old 11-06-2022, 07:45 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
To me Starbucks tastes like burnt rubber.

We've always drank Folgers, number seventeen on the list. Middle-of-the-road, good ol' Folgers.

It surprises me how much what coffee you drink has turned into some kind of status thing. But then when I think of immigrants to MN using roasted ground up grain or tree bark to make a hot, brown drink I suppose looking down at people who don't use the "right stuff" has been around a long time.

A story: My seventy-something high school friend turned Lutheran minister had us as guests one weekend. She took us to Starbucks for coffee. DH was frustrated with all the choices. "Can't I just get a plain, old cup of Folgers, black?"

My friend apologized to the server!
Are you familiar with Scandinavian egg coffee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSzuwSH5Fs4

Old 11-06-2022, 08:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
On the list, I would say Illy, Peet’s, and Lavazza are my favorites. Although I never go, I think my gym serves Peet’s and I do hit up the Peet’s in my town or one of the adjacent towns somewhat regularly.

Otherwise, I would say that the La Colombe draft latte is my favorite cold brew. I will need to see if the peppermint mocha flavor is out yet- that was a fantastic treat when I found it last year. The regular cold brew is a little cheaper than other brands, so I only get it when it is on sale. It is my go to cold brew brand though.
A gym that serves coffee? That's my idea of heaven! My gym serves those gross looking smoothies that look like blended grass.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:31 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I'm not much of a coffee drinker; I prefer hot tea but I have tried a lot of different coffees trying to like it. It all tastes so bitter to me even when I add half & half. When I do drink coffee it's usually Folger's Instant. I will go to Starbucks occasionally around the holidays to have one of their caramel brulee Frappuccinos.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:55 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
I'm like the above poster Chiluvr1228, not a coffee drinker really. But I've got a new son-in-law and they drink coffee, so when they come here I need to serve them something.

Have made nothing but instant in the past decades but I have an ancient Mr. Coffee in the pantry so am ready. I want something - not trendy, because who am I trying to impress? - not bitter, which is the reason I really don't like coffee. Not $20/bag because I'll never use it all before it goes. But especially not bitter.

I've forgotten even how to make it. How much do you put into the filter? Stupid question? Humor me, please. I watched that interesting Scandinavian egg coffee video and sounds fun but I'd never go to all that trouble. But I'd like to serve son-in-law a cup of coffee that didn't taste disgusting to me but was acceptable to him.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:43 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are you familiar with Scandinavian egg coffee?
No, and I don't think that I want to be. No offense.

For one thing, there's way too much effort going into making the coffee. Boiling water from a kettle, poured over a Melitta cone or into a French press is much easier.

Adding egg shells to the Maxwell House (or any coffee) will make it less acidic. It's most likely what makes the coffee taste better for the You Tuber. I've added crushed egg shells to coffee made in a French press just to see what effect it would have - the coffee came out much less acidic, but then I thought that the coffee lacked punch, that it was somehow weaker.

Adding the egg into the grounds sounds like a means to not waste an egg. But adding the egg probably puts fat from the yolk into the coffee, much like adding creamer adds fat. And it's that fat that's probably making the grounds turn out so gloopy in the pot. But I'm not a fan of creamers - I've always opined that if one feels the need to pour additives into one's coffee, then one should find a better coffee bean.

Finally, Maxwell House in a can is meant for a drip coffee maker, not for a French press. Using any finely ground coffee in a French press is going to produce gritty coffee, which almost everyone finds unpalatable. The You Tuber is simply demonstrating his ignorance when he does this.

Last edited by djmilf; 11-06-2022 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: 'find' not 'fine' - hey, it passed the spill Czech on the first try!

Old 11-06-2022, 09:58 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
To make my coffee less acidic, I use alkaline water pH 9.5 in my drip brewer.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:12 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I'm like the above poster Chiluvr1228, not a coffee drinker really. But I've got a new son-in-law and they drink coffee, so when they come here I need to serve them something.

Have made nothing but instant in the past decades but I have an ancient Mr. Coffee in the pantry so am ready. I want something - not trendy, because who am I trying to impress? - not bitter, which is the reason I really don't like coffee. Not $20/bag because I'll never use it all before it goes. But especially not bitter.

I've forgotten even how to make it. How much do you put into the filter? Stupid question? Humor me, please. I watched that interesting Scandinavian egg coffee video and sounds fun but I'd never go to all that trouble. But I'd like to serve son-in-law a cup of coffee that didn't taste disgusting to me but was acceptable to him.
First off, I congratulate you on going out of your way to please your guests. You're awesome.

I usually use 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds per cup. Others might disagree, but it's a good starting place for you. You can add more or less the next time according to taste.

I've always liked Eight O'Clock coffee, but I prefer Sumatra now. Eight O'Clock never tasted bitter to me, and it's not expensive. It's pretty high on the List of 31 Best and Worse coffee (link is in first post).

I also gotta tell all ya'll this. This morning I purchased my first can of Cafe' Bestelo based on some reviews in here. The price was only $4.99 for the 10-ounce can. Although I will make my next pot with a bit less coffee, I gotta say... this stuff is delicious. I detect a slight burnt taste, but it might be because it's a very fine grind and I need to lessen the amount I scoop into the pot.

ndcairngorm... you might want to pick up a can of Cafe' Bustelo if your store carries it. Try it. You won't be out a lot of money if your son-in-law doesn't like it. Maybe start with around two tablespoons per cup unless he loves a very bold coffee? Good luck. Let us know how this works out for you.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:42 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
One other note on the topic of coffee brewing. After living for a few decades in Southern CA and in Arizona, I found the tap water was very hard and full of minerals that made drinking straight tap water not so pleasant. After I retired 5 years ago, I began spending a lot of time in Europe, and have been living in Germany for the better part of the last few years. Many parts of Germany have hard, corrosive tap water, but not the area I live in (southern part of the state of Saxony just north of Czech Republic).

Although the weather here is nothing like southern CA or AZ, the great tap water deserves an award. It is soft, with no mineral or chlorine taste. It comes from protected watershed reservoirs in the Ore Mountains south of Chemnitz. That smooth, soft water not only tastes good out of the tap, it helps make a smooth flavor in the coffee (as long as the coffee is brewed properly).

I've read lots of interesting comments in the posts above - thanks to all for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink