Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 11:05 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times

Advertisements

There is regular Cafe Bustelo, and there is Cafe Bustelo made with 100 percent Arabica beans. I just thought regular CB was a heavily-roasted robusta-laden coffee for espresso/Cuban-style coffee drinkers.
BTW, did you know Vietnam is the world’s second-largest producer of coffee beans, nearly all robusta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 11:06 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, and I don't think that I want to be. No offense.

For one thing, there's way too much effort going into making the coffee. Boiling water from a kettle, poured over a Melitta cone or into a French press is much easier.

Adding egg shells to the Maxwell House (or any coffee) will make it less acidic. It's most likely what makes the coffee taste better for the You Tuber. I've added crushed egg shells to coffee made in a French press just to see what effect it would have - the coffee came out much less acidic, but then I thought that the coffee lacked punch, that it was somehow weaker.

Adding the egg into the grounds sounds like a means to not waste an egg. But adding the egg probably puts fat from the yolk into the coffee, much like adding creamer adds fat. And it's that fat that's probably making the grounds turn out so gloopy in the pot. But I'm not a fan of creamers - I've always opined that if one feels the need to pour additives into one's coffee, then one should find a better coffee bean.

Finally, Maxwell House in a can is meant for a drip coffee maker, not for a French press. Using any finely ground coffee in a French press is going to produce gritty coffee, which almost everyone finds unpalatable. The You Tuber is simply demonstrating his ignorance when he does this.
This method of making coffee developed as a way to mask the flavor of inferior beans. I thought water should not be boiling hot when making coffee.

Old 11-06-2022, 11:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
There's no way I'll go to the trouble of using eggs, shells, strainers and boiling water to make coffee, but thanks for the video. It gave me a laugh.

Someone else mentioned the quality of tap water. That's an excellent point.

Our tap water smells like chlorine all the time. Neither of us can drink it, so we buy bottled. We use the bottled water to make our coffee too. If your tap water is wonky, so will the coffee taste wonky. We buy the cheapest jugs of water from Walmart and Aldi's. We use tap for everything else. The town water authority insists it's safe to drink, but...seriously, it shouldn't smell like that. Ever.

Old 11-06-2022, 11:38 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
There is regular Cafe Bustelo, and there is Cafe Bustelo made with 100 percent Arabica beans. I just thought regular CB was a heavily-roasted robusta-laden coffee for espresso/Cuban-style coffee drinkers.
BTW, did you know Vietnam is the world’s second-largest producer of coffee beans, nearly all robusta?
I didn't know that. I purchased the only kind the store sells, which is the Cafe Bustelo espresso in a bright yellow can. It's a very fine grind, almost powder-like.

I also like that it comes in a real tin can. Most coffee cans are cardboard... or in the dreadful bags.

Brazil's drought last year has negatively impacted their coffee exports. I'm glad coffee beans are grown in various places. I wouldn't want to survive if I was forced to drink... tea. (Sorry Brits).

Old 11-06-2022, 11:46 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
I have a high-end drip coffee-maker (boils the water not just heats it, no heating element to sit on & overcook the brew) that I use every morning. I used to buy whole beans and grind them in a burr grinder (yep, pretty high-end one too) but the grinder ground to a halt a few months ago and I have been buying ground coffee since.

Personal preference: not an overly roasted bean (and especially not like charred Starbucks) but a mild roast that is a bit more delicate & complex than just: "Pow! It's morning!" Always check the roasting date which all good coffees will have on the back or bottom.

My favorites: Stumptown is really good, they have a roaster very close to me. I was using this regularly and then tried Lavazza Gran Aroma (which I prefer over the Classico, still a good but stronger roast) because it is a lighter roast than Classico. A big factor: Stumptown is usually around $19 for 12oz at my local roaster (plus $1 tip for grinding) but Lavazza bags are typically $8 per 12oz. That's a $12 per bag savings and I don't feel it is some giant drop in quality. My grocery occasionally has bags on sale for $6 and that's when I stock up for "inventory". I only tried one of the cans once, can't remember the variety but it tasted inferior to the bagged Lavazza.

But the winner for me in terms of value - flavor/price - is currently Illy cans which I can buy for $12 (8.8oz) locally. I prefer the lighter Classico but the darker Intenso is quite good too. While the locally roasted Stumptown may be nicer overall, for the money saved, $20 vs $12, on a daily brew the Illy is perfectly fine. Stumptown for the occasional change of pace.

I'm surprised to see LaColombe listed so poorly, I've never tried it but I thought it was supposed to be a quality brew?

I've bought Dunkin' coffee at their stores maybe 3X in the last 5 years when going to catch a train and poured each one down the gutter... what happened to the former workingman's quality cup? Awful.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Want less acidic? Put an extra scoop in a pitcher, maybe use your French press pitcher...pour spring water over it, cover it over night.
In the morning you have Cold Brew...strain it...yum.
You'll fig out how much to put n ...if too much, add water...better than less, of course.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
We like Maxwell House or Folger but this summer I got the idea to order coffee on Amazon that other people loved (in reviews) so got Mayorga Cafe Cubano (arabica) and Jose's Whole Bean Organic (arabica). Neither of us could tell the difference in taste from our regular store bought coffee grounds.

Don't think I've had Starbucks more than once, probably in an airport. I can only drink coffee before noon or I'll be sleepless that night. But I do love coffee in the morning. Had Tim's while vacationing in Canada, meh.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:40 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, seeing Starbucks that high on the list is suspicious. Awful stuff. A local roaster explained to me that normally coffee is roasted at X temp for 14 minutes but that Starbucks roasts at 8 minutes at a very high temp, hence the burnt taste--which, apparently, some people like.
I agree awful stuff. I will never understand the popularity of it.

I do local coffee roasters. I grind my own beans and use Chemax for pour over coffee. This is an interesting thread. I will have to try some of these brands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Want less acidic? .
Someone taught me to put a tiny pinch of salt in the coffee--it works well.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:00 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We like Maxwell House or Folger but this summer I got the idea to order coffee on Amazon that other people loved (in reviews) so got Mayorga Cafe Cubano (arabica) and Jose's Whole Bean Organic (arabica). Neither of us could tell the difference in taste from our regular store bought coffee grounds.

Don't think I've had Starbucks more than once, probably in an airport. I can only drink coffee before noon or I'll be sleepless that night. But I do love coffee in the morning. Had Tim's while vacationing in Canada, meh.
I stopped drinking Folgers years ago because they changed the taste, I could tell by the aroma it wasn't the same coffee as before, I didn't need to taste it. A few months later I read Folger did change their coffee, I was right all along! Their coffee was so good before they changed it.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I regularly drink Mayorga Cafe Cubano (available at Costco) or Trader Joes Organic Sumatra. I use an Aeropress for ground coffee, but grind my beans a few days worth at a time which I realize is not the best thing to do but do keep the ground beans in an airtight glass container.

For a quick cup in the morning, Senseo Dark Roast and with breakfast a latte made with a Nespresso dark roast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink