Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 06:14 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

I'm re-reading comments. Wow. So much hatred for Starbucks. LOL. I wonder if people are rating the single cafe' cups or the make-at-home Starbucks bags? Would that even make a difference? I like Horton's from their cafe's, but not the Tim Horton ground coffee I make at home. The home brew is average at best, probably because of a different water supply.

This morning I brewed Bustelo using only two tablespoons per small pot instead of three. It's much better. No burnt taste like yesterday. I really like the bold taste. At only $4.99 a can I'll stock up. I'm more than a little bit concerned about the coffee bean problem in Brazil. Prices will surely rise. Canned coffee will stay fresh for many years beyond its expiration date, providing the can hasn't be opened or compromised.

And... to whomever I "rep'ed" with the advice of purchasing a "two-cup Mr. Coffeemaker"..... I made a mistake. I meant "five cup coffeemaker". A full pot fills two huge coffee mugs for us, that why I mistakenly called it a "two-pot coffee maker". It makes a perfect single cup of coffee too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 06:29 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Someone taught me to put a tiny pinch of salt in the coffee--it works well.
Oh Right! I remember that from the dark ages when I was still trying to make coffee. Wonder if I should try that for the bitterness?

Old 11-07-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Oh Right! I remember that from the dark ages when I was still trying to make coffee. Wonder if I should try that for the bitterness?
I remember too. I'll try that when I make the next pot.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:48 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Cafe Bustelo is my favorite of all brands at the store. A Puerto Rican friend introduced me to it years ago. I make it with 2-3 extra scoops per 12 cup pot and set it for strong. Drink it black.

I also like Folger's and 8 O Clock. I think 8 O Clock used to be an A&P brand if I recall correctly. Kroger had fairly good store brands but they left our area.

I used to drink a lot of Counter Culture coffee when I did jobs at their roasting plant. Their coffee is prime, they mainly supply restaurants and coffee shops. Not yet in stores that I have seen. they have 20 or 30 some varieties, all good that I tried, plus they have espresso at their shop. Best fringe benefit on earth is great coffee.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:50 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm re-reading comments. Wow. So much hatred for Starbucks. LOL. I wonder if people are rating the single cafe' cups or the make-at-home Starbucks bags? Would that even make a difference? I like Horton's from their cafe's, but not the Tim Horton ground coffee I make at home. The home brew is average at best, probably because of a different water supply.

This morning I brewed Bustelo using only two tablespoons per small pot instead of three. It's much better. No burnt taste like yesterday. I really like the bold taste. At only $4.99 a can I'll stock up. I'm more than a little bit concerned about the coffee bean problem in Brazil. Prices will surely rise. Canned coffee will stay fresh for many years beyond its expiration date, providing the can hasn't be opened or compromised.

And... to whomever I "rep'ed" with the advice of purchasing a "two-cup Mr. Coffeemaker"..... I made a mistake. I meant "five cup coffeemaker". A full pot fills two huge coffee mugs for us, that why I mistakenly called it a "two-pot coffee maker". It makes a perfect single cup of coffee too.
Starbucks tends to overroast their beans to make their coffee flavor stand out in their "mixed drinks" after watering them down with milk and sweeteners.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:05 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Black Rifle is good

Old 11-07-2022, 11:27 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Folgers should be dead last. No excuse.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Starbucks tends to overroast their beans to make their coffee flavor stand out in their "mixed drinks" after watering them down with milk and sweeteners.
Good point. I don't use sweeteners though, and I prefer a deep-roasted, bold flavor.

Dunkin is weak. It's coffeebean bath water.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:56 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Starbucks over Peets? What?

Illy and LaVazza are good, though. Haven't have Intelligentsia yet...will be giving them a shot next time.

#1 is definitely well deserved, though - I tried Stumptown when I visited Portland and it's something else.

Now, the best coffee I had is not in US but in Vietnam...Cà phê chồn ("Weasel Coffee" aka Kopi Luwak as it's call in Indonesia) is worth the try at least once.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:35 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
I agree with a few of those.

Stumptown
Lavazza
Peet's
Cariboo

I also like :

Grounds for Hounds
Black Rifle
Dark Matter (I highly recommend ! )
Gevalia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink