Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 12:41 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

I do like Tim Horton's coffee. And if I'm touting donut shop coffee, I'd be remiss not to mention my fondness for Krispy Kreme coffee, which I buy whenever I'm within 5 miles of one of their stores.

Of the coffees on that list, the ones I buy are Tim Horton's, Equal Exchange, and New England (love the French Vanilla). I used to love Gevalia, but don't like it any more for some reason. Don't like Starbucks - it always tastes burnt. Dunkin tastes like sewer water. Caribou is good, but I don't go out of my way to buy it.

Right now in my kitchen I have Timmy's, New England, a bag of coffee I picked up at the Ann Arbor farmer's market from a local vendor, and Lancaster County (PA) Coffee Roasters, which I just found last week on a quick business trip to Lancaster. Thank goodness they have mail order, because their coffee is fabulous and they're not open on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 12:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm re-reading comments. Wow. So much hatred for Starbucks. LOL. I wonder if people are rating the single cafe' cups or the make-at-home Starbucks bags? Would that even make a difference? I like Horton's from their cafe's, but not the Tim Horton ground coffee I make at home. The home brew is average at best, probably because of a different water supply.

This morning I brewed Bustelo using only two tablespoons per small pot instead of three. It's much better. No burnt taste like yesterday. I really like the bold taste. At only $4.99 a can I'll stock up. I'm more than a little bit concerned about the coffee bean problem in Brazil. Prices will surely rise. Canned coffee will stay fresh for many years beyond its expiration date, providing the can hasn't be opened or compromised.

And... to whomever I "rep'ed" with the advice of purchasing a "two-cup Mr. Coffeemaker"..... I made a mistake. I meant "five cup coffeemaker". A full pot fills two huge coffee mugs for us, that why I mistakenly called it a "two-pot coffee maker". It makes a perfect single cup of coffee too.
I've been thinking the same thing about Starbucks as I read this thread. I like Starbucks that I buy in a bag at Walmart. I do not like their coffee at one of their stores. I drink my coffee black with no sugar. Starbucks tastes completely different when I brew it.

Eight O'Clock coffee is the best less expensive coffee. I didn't drink coffee growing up, but I remember how they use to grind the beans at the check-out registers at the A&P grocery stores.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've been thinking the same thing about Starbucks as I read this thread. I like Starbucks that I buy in a bag at Walmart. I do not like their coffee at one of their stores. I drink my coffee black with no sugar. Starbucks tastes completely different when I brew it.

Eight O'Clock coffee is the best less expensive coffee. I didn't drink coffee growing up, but I remember how they use to grind the beans at the check-out registers at the A&P grocery stores.
I remember that as a kid too. The aroma was wonderful. My parents drank instant coffee. Mom had an electric percolator, but only used it on holidays or when company came over.

I drank Eight O'Clock for years, but maybe my taste buds grew tired of it.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:24 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I'm like the above poster Chiluvr1228, not a coffee drinker really. But I've got a new son-in-law and they drink coffee, so when they come here I need to serve them something.

Have made nothing but instant in the past decades but I have an ancient Mr. Coffee in the pantry so am ready. I want something - not trendy, because who am I trying to impress? - not bitter, which is the reason I really don't like coffee. Not $20/bag because I'll never use it all before it goes. But especially not bitter.

I've forgotten even how to make it. How much do you put into the filter? Stupid question? Humor me, please. I watched that interesting Scandinavian egg coffee video and sounds fun but I'd never go to all that trouble. But I'd like to serve son-in-law a cup of coffee that didn't taste disgusting to me but was acceptable to him.
You know what I'd do, if I were you? Get the Mr. Coffee out, and explain you're not sure how to make a good pot of coffee, so will he please do the honors?

I have some friends who don't drink coffee on the regular, and they'll ask me to make a pot for guests, etc.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:22 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Good point. I don't use sweeteners though, and I prefer a deep-roasted, bold flavor.

Dunkin is weak. It's coffeebean bath water.
I like strong & bold but Starbucks is burned. That's different.

I haven't had Dunkin in a long time. I thought they were good last I had it.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:13 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Yawn. I buy Chock Full o' Nuts or Maxwell House, whichever is on sale or I have a coupon for. And I drink it black. Since I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee, I've never had a complaint. Chase & Sanborn is the cheapest I've seen but that's noticeably inferior.

I buy some Cafe Bustelo once in a while and custom blend it with my Cheap On-Sale Coffee.

Anyone remember Savarin? I thought it was a national brand but apparently it was only sold in the New York area. The character El Exigente -- "The Demanding One" -- was an icon back in the 1960's-70's. The character was played by Carlos Montalban, bother of Ricardo Montalban.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Some of my coffees are on the list.

#20, 8 O'Clock coffee.

I also buy the Decaf version of McCafe and Folger's 1850 Trailblazer (Medium Dark).

The 3 get blended in proportions: 50% McCafe Decaf, 25% 8 O'Clock and 25% Folger's 1850 Trailblazer.

I used to love Starbucks "Yukon" BEFORE the Great Recession when it was a "bold" flavor, but when the Great Recession happened it went off the market for years. When it finally did return years later it was a medium blend and tasted nothing like what I remembered.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-09-2022 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-07-2022, 06:10 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
I remember Savarin coffee. Wasn't Juan Valdez the spokesman for Savarin? Remember him?

I gotta go Google this.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:06 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
I remember Savarin coffee. Wasn't Juan Valdez the spokesman for Savarin? Remember him?

I gotta go Google this.
Juan Valdez was a character invented in 1959 to represent Colombian Coffee, not any specific brand, and is still in use today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Valdez

Old 11-07-2022, 10:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 659,873 times
Maybe it's just me. But I had to go out and buy an all stainless steel electric percolator. To me, coffee makers with plastic components make coffee that tastes like burned plastic. Anyone else experience this?

I usually go with dark roast gevalia, peets or caribou. Eight O'Clock isn't bad and I'm not above mixing it with the more expensive brand coffee.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink