Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:39 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. 31 well-known coffee brands have been rated from best to the worse. Each paragraph describes why. I'm not surprised to see the coffee that came in 31st. I tried it decades ago and found it disgusting. I never forgot the experience.

I'd been a fan of Eight O'Clock coffee for years, but lately it doesn't taste the same. I suspect, like everything else, the quality has been lowered in order to prevent a price hike. I don't know.

At the suggestion of a neighbor, I tried a bag of Starbuck's Sumatra last week. Wow! You know you're drinking coffee when you drink that - hearty, bold, intense. It instantly became my new brand even though it's around $3 more per bag than the Eight O'Clock.

I usually take my coffee with cream, but I enjoy it black too. No sugar for me.

What's your favorite coffee? Is it on the list?

https://www.tastingtable.com/718678/...worst-to-best/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 07:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
What a fun thread! As a lifetime insomniac, I've been drinking coffee since I was a little kid. My usual go to was Folgers which was fine but I recently discovered Bustelo and I agree; the flavor is amazing. It doesn't have that bitter undertone so many of the others have. I disagree with the author; Starbucks is incredibly bitter. I can't stomach the flavor. Peet's also has that bitter flavor, but less so. I just tried Tim Hosrton's and was not impressed. It wasn't anything specific. It was just meh. Mc Donalds and Community are basic coffees and taste good to me. I'm not a fan of Maxwell House. I used to drink Gevalia and loved those but they got too expensive. I don't drink out of Keurig machines. They do not retain good flavor. I normally use a drip pot for convenience but I also have an espresso machine and I make iced coffee on occasion.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:02 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
The brands that are on the list that I've brewed on at least a semi-regular basis:

(28) Maxwell House - this was the office brand back in the 2000's. Not particularly good, but not particularly bad. Basic hot caffeinated beverage when you need a jolt of ambition.

(23) Gevalia - I'm surprised it's this low on the list, I would rank it higher. I find it has more flavor, more of a 'pure coffee' taste.

(20) Eight O'Clock - I'd put Gevalia ahead of this, but Eight O'Clock Mountain Peaks has been my go-to whole bean for a few years, until I decided to up my coffee experience.

(17) Folgers - Oh heck no! I've always found Folgers to have a sour taste to it. Was the office go-to coffee in the 2010's, but I wouldn't touch it. The other workers in my office loaded it up with so much sugar and flavored creams I wondered if they could even taste the coffee flavor.

(15) Death Wish Coffee - I bought one 2 pound bag, purely on the marketing, made maybe two cups of coffee per the instructions on the bag, and then gave the remaining beans away to a co-worker whose wife wanted to try it. Death Wish's claim is that they provide the most caffeine per cup. Hard not to, when the instructions require you to use 2 1/2 times the normal amount of coffee grounds. Dark, bitter, burnt - it's now a hard-pass for me.

(7) Peet's Coffee - tried both the Major Dickason blend and a more medium roast blend. The medium roast wasn't objectionable, but tasted rather pedestrian - about the same as a cup of McDonald's coffee. Major Dickason was darker and had a dark chocolate taste to it. Not bad, but leaning too much towards a flavored coffee for me.

(6) Starbucks - has gone downhill IMO. Used to get the Kenyan whole bean, but they stopped selling Kenyan maybe 5 or 7 years ago. Will still pick up the medium roast, if I see it on the store shelf. I myself believe that there must be more than 5 coffees in the world better than Starbucks medium roast.

As for the top 5, Caribou Coffee does have a shop locally, I'll have to drive over and get a bag of whole bean when I get a chance.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:49 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Out of those on the list it's been many years since I've had Maxwell House, 8 O'Clock or Chock Full O' Nuts. I tried Gevalia in the 90s but it was too acidic.

A friend made me a cup of Death Wish. It was ok. A bit strong. I use Lavazza at home. It goes on sale a lot so is no more expensive than other coffee. There was a Lavaza cafe in my old neighborhood. That's where I first tried their coffee. There's a LaColombe shop in my current area so I stop there for a cup sometimes. It's good. Never bought any of their beans.

Always meant to try the Bustelo. People rave about it. I must have walked past it in stores hundreds of times. Maybe I'll get a pack next time.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:03 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Coming from out west, I’ve always been a Peet’s guy, but unfortunately the stuff at the actual cafe tends to be a lot better than their brew-it-yourself options. Community Coffee might be worth another try, as down south it was usually offered at gas stations or catered events and never impressed me, but you never know about the quality of how it’s brewed.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:14 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Everyone in my family loves our coffee. Except one sister. So she keeps a jar of Nescafe at her house, for our benefit (she thinks.)

Nescafe just makes me sad. :-(

Old 11-04-2022, 10:23 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
My preferred coffee for home brew in the US is #27 Costco Kirkland Colombian Supremo. The 3 lb can used to cost about $14, but I'm sure the price is higher now. For my taste buds, this is as good as the small batch fancy roasters that charge double or triple the price. I like it better than Starbucks or Dunkin.

I see LaVazza up high on the list. They sell that on the grocery shelves here in Germany, so I might try it next time I run out of my current batch of ground coffee.

Edit note: I drink coffee plain black, no cream or sugar.

Last edited by recycled; 11-04-2022 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 10:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
We’re still renovating and my coffee pot is packed up in storage. Meanwhile, I’ve been drinking the Starbucks instant coffee and was surprised how good it is. It comes in a small jar, but you don’t use as much as cheaper brands. The coffee is smooth and has a good taste.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:35 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I happen to like McCafe medium roast. lol It's my favorite. We also like Peets, and Community.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:35 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Couple of recent UK coffee lists.

Best coffee brands to buy in 2022 UK: Espresso, instant, beans and more - Express (September 2022)

11 best independent coffee brands that are worth getting up for - The Independent (October 2022)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink