Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 10:35 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Yes, they are delicious. People unfamiliar with them give them strange looks upon hearing they’re frog legs. But once they taste them, they’re hooked. They make great appetizers since they’re so light.
That’s because they look like frog legs. It can be a little shock to see them raw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 04:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Pizza / ranch isn't regional. Most, if not all, of the chains will give you ranch with your pizza.
Can confirm it is quite popular in Latin America as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Boudin resembles a sausage but is a cooked mixture of rice, pork, and spices stuffed in a sausage casing.
I love Boudin but always had to get it in specialty shops or by mail order, I wonder why it never caught on nationally like andouille did. I can buy andouille in just about any major supermarket.

Same with maque choux, it is such a wonderful dish that doesn't require any hard to find cajun ingredients and can be taken in so many different directions yet rarely see it outside of cajun restaurants. I sometimes stumble upon dishes like gumbo and etouffee in other types of restaurants, but outside of Louisiana maque choux is pretty rare in non-cajun joints.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
I think the method of eating shrimp is regional. It varies from people who will only eat headless peeled and deveined shtrimp, to those who like peeling them, to those who prefer head-on to suck the goodness out, some people just eat the whole thing shell and all.

We would eat pizza with our hands in Argentina and France, everyone else would be sawing away with a knife and fork. The only sawing I'm doing on a pizza is to make it into slices to eat with my hands.

Old 12-11-2022, 08:37 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Chicken and waffles for breakfast. I believe that is a Southern staple not normally served in other parts of the country.
You can find that in the Philadelphia area. There's been some serious barbeque here for decades, too. Grits are served at many diners.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:20 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I think the method of eating shrimp is regional. It varies from people who will only eat headless peeled and deveined shtrimp, to those who like peeling them, to those who prefer head-on to suck the goodness out, some people just eat the whole thing shell and all.
I have seen plenty of folks suck the heads on crawfish, but never have seen anyone do it with shrimp.

When I was in Taiwan once, the group I was with was making fun of me for peeling the shrimp before eating them. In this dish, the shells were crispy and you just ate the whole thing. It was very good.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:58 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Disclaimer: This thread revolves mostly around US regions (and maybe Canada's by inclusion).

Every region has its unique food customs, that seem quirky, if not outright strange (at least from outsiders' point of view) to people outside that region. A notable one for Chicago/Midwest would be serving ranch dressing with thin-crust (a.k.a. "tavern-style") pizza---cut into squares, no less---and dipping the end of it into ranch before taking a bite. I remember going on a cruise in 2014, sailing from LA, and sharing a table with a 50-something couple at lunch. Somehow, our conversations turned to pizza. So I told them about the ranch thing. Their immediate reaction was: "Pizza with ranch? Why?". (They were from Phoenix, AZ, which has a large number of Chicago transplants, but they were local to Phoenix, so they found ranch thing odd.)

Another custom/quirk is the Midwestern Bloody Marys. In most US regions, a Bloody Mary is vodka-laced tomato juice, garnished with a celery stalk, and maybe a skewer of green olives if you're lucky. Not in the Midwest! In these parts, a well-garnished Bloody Mary can serve as a heavy snack easily. It can contain cheese cubes, sausage pieces, Slim Jims, shrimp, a burger slider, chunks of grilled chicken, etc. Not to mention the amazing mixer flavors like black pepper, horseradish, Sriracha, etc. In Wisconsin especially, a Bloody Mary often includes a 5-oz beer chaser too, allegedly meant to wash down the intense flavors of the "foods" served. When I told people outside the Midwest about all this, their reaction was "Wow, really?".

Now, share your own experiences!
I would like to try one of those bloody Marys!

I used to pick up a buttered roll and coffee for breakfast from the street carts in the city when I worked in Manhattan. Somewhere I heard that other people think a buttered roll for breakfast is odd.

Staying in Canada, I find what I can't get to be odd. They apparently have never heard of corn muffins here, not even at Tim Horton's, and also, not one restaurant or diner I have ever been to has unsweetened iced tea. I stopped asking. They just don't have iced tea without sugar here anywhere.

New Jersey has this cured meat called, depending on where you are in the state, pork roll or Taylor ham. You eat it on a hard roll with egg and cheese. Ketchup and pickles should be on there, too.

ETA: I know this came up once before, so I will clarify that a "hard roll" is not stale. It is a roll that is not soft like a hamburger bun. It is crustier and chewy, and sometimes has poppy seeds on it.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:47 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
^ MQ, by hard roll do you mean a kaiser roll? I've spent a lot of time in NJ and never tried pork roll/Taylor ham. There's a soft roll in NJ called a snowflake roll. Very soft rectangular roll with white flour on the outside, somehow it doesn't taste like raw flour.

A kaiser roll is the buttered roll and the baconeggandcheese roll in NYC.

BTW, if you get a slice or a whole pie in a NYC neighborhood pizza place and ask for ranch they'll probably look at you as if you have three heads but they'll give you some if they have any in the shop.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:18 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Pourimg milk over apple dumplings and raspberry cobbler (a baked dish with PIE crust top but no bottom crust so the fruit melts down and gets thick.) before eating them.

My grandmother would serve whole radishes on a garnish tray with celery, carrots, etc.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:42 AM

107 posts, read 51,275 times
Vinegar on french fries.
Seems to be common in New England but not anywhere else.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:50 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,142 times
Don't know if this is a regional thing or just our very large extended family, but we like to pour buttermilk over cornbread and eat it for breakfast. Our cornbread is pure cornmeal, no flour, and definitely no sugar, by the way.

We also like pinto beans over cornbread, with chopped onions on top.

I could get redeye gravy in Virginia family style restaurants, but not here in Texas. Danged shame. Ham with redeye gravy and grits is a fine meal. I poured the redeye gravy over both ham and grits. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink