Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 05:59 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Down here, Publix has great wings. The drumettes are loaded with meat. Very tasty. We don't like to make them at home because it makes the house smell like grease. But about once a month, we'll go to Publix and get a box of them. You can get two meals for two people out of one box, so it's even affordable.
Winn Dixie wings are as you describe Otter. No meat, all bone and skin. Never get your wings from them. Publix is by far the best place to get them, unless you know of some Sports bar or restaurant that has the same.
Take the air fryer to the patio. No smell in the house and sizzling hot wings.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:14 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't know I don't like wings, all skin & bone. If I want chicken, give me a piece of chicken meat, not a bone & some skin.
I never order them, I don't get it (more work, messy and the result is less meat?).

I attended a party a few weeks ago and they had wings, I ate 2-3 and it just reminded me why I don't love them.

Old 12-16-2022, 08:07 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I understand. People have phobias. Tendons and bones can be easily removed. Veins are totally edible. Most people can't even notice/taste them, except visually.
Sorry that you have to deal with that. It takes a lot of eating joy away...
I'm good...

I just prefer not to eat that stuff; different strokes!

No need to pathologize everything.

Old 12-16-2022, 08:23 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
I love chicken wings. Bone in not tenders. Not a big fan of tenders. Mostly in addition to other sides rather than the main dish or as an appetizer. So many ways to prep them. My kids like them grilled with salt, garlic, and rosemary. There's also a wide range of hot wings you can prepare; fried, grilled, crock pot, and air fried. It's almost like a hobby for some. I eat them to the bone.. cartilage and all. The skin is the best part.

With that said, they are not the best option if you are looking for cost-cutting meal. They are consumed because of taste not fill. If you look at restaurants, wings are generally one of the more expensive options on the appetizer menu. I find various cuts of pork and cheaper cuts of beef a better option. London broil that has been properly tenderized over a period of time for example. For me even at home, chicken wings are still considered a treat rather than a staple.

Old 12-16-2022, 08:31 AM

211 posts, read 402,442 times
In the store there are smaller wings and bigger wings <- those are the ones I get. Season them up and pop them in my air fryer. Recently they were on sale for $0.67 per pound in the family pack, I got 6 of them. My 91 year old dad loves them too. We're having them for lunch today with a side salad, what's not to love.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:02 AM

3,181 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've had boneless chicken wings (basically chicken fingers) in restaurants and enjoyed them, especially with yummy sauces, but I recently - due to inflation - decided to bake up my first batch of bone-in wings and was shocked at how little edible meat was on them. I'm pretty sure I ended up in the red financially after spending money for the electricity to cook them! Yet I hear about wings in glowing terms all the time... What am I missing?
All those boneless chicken wing is nothing more than chicken nuggets shaped like wings. The fact is that chicken wing meat is not the same texture as the rest of the chicken. The reason why people like wings is that the skin and delicate meat in between the bones is silky and more tasty. While breast meat is usually very bland and that is what goes into majority of battered and manufactured meat products.

I'll take a chicken wing or drumstick anyday over breast meat. Nothing like the taste of BBQ rub on the skin and smoked in a smoker with either.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:06 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
I've had boneless chicken wings (basically chicken fingers) in restaurants and enjoyed them, especially with yummy sauces, but I recently - due to inflation - decided to bake up my first batch of bone-in wings and was shocked at how little edible meat was on them. I'm pretty sure I ended up in the red financially after spending money for the electricity to cook them! Yet I hear about wings in glowing terms all the time... What am I missing?
Definitely do not get the wings thing. Even if you order them in a restaurant, they're messy with very little payoff. Other people love them and rave, but I don't see what they love about them. I'd rather have a drumstick, but apparently that's not a thing.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:13 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Personally, I only like white meat chicken, so breasts and wings are all I eat.

A couple of things:

1. If you're buying wings that are "just skin and bones with no meat," then you're buying the wrong wings.

2. "Boneless" Wings are not really wings. They are just nuggets or strips of breast meat tossed in wing sauces to appeal to people like you who think REAL chicken wings are pointless or undesirable. (basically, just marketing)

Old 12-16-2022, 09:19 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Okay... So, you DO eat the veins and tendons and even cartilage. All but the large bones.

I'm not putting anyone or anything down, but I don't eat any of the above if I can help it.
That guy in the video saying he eats the cartilage is a first for me. I know a lot of people who enjoy wings and I have NEVER known or met anyone who eats the cartilage.

Also, if the wings are cooked all the way through/correctly, the meat easily separates from the veins and whatever when you eat the wing.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:24 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
i think the wings themselves are just vehicles for the batter coating and sticky sauces.
I've had fried rattlesnake. The batter and sauces were delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink