Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 10:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,195,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I get mine off the boat, the same day they are caught.
I hate you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 10:30 AM

14,190 posts, read 14,546,848 times
If given a choice, I prefer Bay Scallops but am happy if sea scallops versus no scallops.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:31 AM

3,871 posts, read 2,068,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Bay scallops - great in pasta dishes or cioppino like dishes cooked in liquid to be tender and tasty.

Sea scallops - simply prepared by themselves pan seared in butter with a pinch of seasoning.

The difference I've noticed is that Bay Scallops are packed/shipped wet, in a liquid - not good for pan searing and will end up being chewy as old pencil erasers.

Sea scallops are flash frozen and dry packed - much better for pan searing.
We only buy “dry” scallops. A lot of seafood has an added chemical which saturates seafood with water.

Not paying for water at $$ per Lb

Old 01-04-2023, 06:17 PM

12,583 posts, read 8,816,051 times
Definitely prefer sea scallops. Sear them off with some butter/olive oil. They cook very quickly. I don't care for the bacon wrapped version. The bacon usually overpowers the delicacy of the scallops. I don't normally get bay scallops but would use them in some sort of pasta dish.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:27 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,822,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Possibly one reason for this is because you're not getting served REAL sea scallops.

Plenty of restaurants these days are serving imitation or fake scallops. They're made from shark, skate or stingray.

https://missvickie.com/fake-scallops/
That seems like overkill. Sharks are endangered and therefore as pricey as sturgeons, and skates and stingrays consist of cartilage. Scallops sold as food are movement muscles of the scallop mollusk; it's basically oceanic meat. Shark probably costs a lot more than actual scallops, and I can't see the cartilagious texture of skates and stingrays passing off as the real thing.

The restaurants are better off making fish ball surimi, like the kind found in Korean supermarkets, and adding bits of scallop mollusks normally ending up as waste product, then passing those off as real scallops. (Or adding a disclaimer in very small print.)

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-04-2023 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-04-2023, 06:32 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
I want to like scallops. I really do. But I just don’t care for the flavor, or the texture when they are cooked “properly”, medium rare-ish. I like seafood fully cooked. My exceptions are seared tuna and sushi. Odd I guess.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:36 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,584,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That seems like overkill. Sharks are endangered and therefore as pricey as sturgeons, and skates and stingrays consist of cartilage. Scallops sold as food are movement muscles of the scallop mollusk; it's basically oceanic meat. Shark probably costs a lot more than actual scallops, and I can't see the cartilagious texture of skates and stingrays passing off as the real thing.

The restaurants are better off making fish ball surimi, like the kind found in Korean supermarkets, and adding bits of scallop mollusks normally ending up as waste product, then passing those off as real scallops. (Or adding a disclaimer in [i]very[i] small print.)

I've tried making "poor man's" scallops from skates before. It wasn't fooling anyone.

I never see shark for sale in the seafood stores so I don't know how much it would cost if it were. A lot of shark is caught just for their fins, which are cut off and the rest of the shark is thrown overboard wasted. There are lot's of different shark and not all are endangered (yet).

We caught a salmon shark some years back and kept it (that was legal). It tasted like pork and not at all like a scallop.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:36 PM

10,818 posts, read 7,191,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
these arent scallops but I thought they were. The video says these are Japanese thing called a konjac plant.

but they sound like the screams of the Damned or the cries of the Nazguls from Lord of the Rings in the frying pan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k65aBsSqgb0
Konjac is also used to make low carb, low calorie noodles. Low flavor, too.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:37 AM

87,984 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The best scallops I ever had were always the little bay scallops.

Sea scallops were so variable: toughness, dryness, flavor or lack thereof.

If a restaurant serves sea scallops, they’ve been sea scallops unless specifically called out as being bay scallops.

I won’t even consider eating them unless they’re bay scallops.

Bay scallops were always the "preferred" as far as I knew, because they were smaller and more tender, but they are harder to find these days. Not sure why this has flipped and the sea scallops are more expensive now.

A clue might be found in Billy Joel's fishermen's lament, The Downeaster Alexa, which includes the line,

"I was a Bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a Bayman anymore"

In other words, the bay waters have been overfished.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:56 AM

6,381 posts, read 4,753,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you like any kind of scallops, you should sometime try eating Abalone if you ever get a chance. I have never seen it for sale at any restaurants, but when we lived in California we had friends that would dive for them in the area between Anchor Bay and Mendocino. I have heard that there have been some severe restrictions and even bans on them since, so you might have to go to another country like Mexico or Australia.
You can buy farmed abalone frozen at Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink