Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 11:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Interesting, The baker puts out a different ingredient list that the girl scout headquarters puts out. According to the baker, there is cocoa in the thin mints. So, chocolatey coating means they have put some chocolate in with some other ingredients so the chocolate is diluted to the point that it can't legally be called chocolate. It's probably the palm kernel oil and sugar.
Last year 2 different companies made the cookies. That might explain the difference.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:54 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Last year 2 different companies made the cookies. That might explain the difference.
Two different companies have always made the cookies. That's why you have Samoas (Little Brownie Bakers) in some areas and Caramel deLites (ABC Bakers) in others.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:02 PM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
As explained on Wikipedia (see the link on my previous post) it's all about cocoa butter. If substituted by (cheap and inferior) coconut oil or palm kernel oil then can't be legally called chocolate.
To legally qualify as some type of “chocolate” (under the FDA definition), a food substance must contain a certain amount of actual chocolate liquor – in other words, cocoa AND cocoa butter.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ll-021215.html

Last edited by elnina; 01-09-2023 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-09-2023, 02:05 PM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wholeheartedly disapprove of sending little girls out door to door to sell cookies and its not fair on the parents to put them in charge of cookie sales
I am the opposite, and am very much in favor of them going door-to-door to sell cookies. Of course, there should always be an adult with them (hanging back at the street). You learn so many life skills by interacting with people, getting turned down, handling the orders, etc. In the old days, you could also learn how to make change, which seems to be a lost art these days.

I do agree that it is bad when the parents take over and have everyone in their office buy cookies from their kid.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:48 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
I think many councils now discourage door-to-door sales in favor of setting up tables outside retail locations.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:45 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think many councils now discourage door-to-door sales in favor of setting up tables outside retail locations.
My niece has a website/online ordering for her cookie sales--nobody goes door-to-door anymore.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:45 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,146 times
Hermit used to love the girl scout cookies.

Hermit stopped buying them about four years ago because they're not good, like they used to be.

Old 01-09-2023, 10:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Hermit used to love the girl scout cookies.

Hermit stopped buying them about four years ago because they're not good, like they used to be.
I concur. I can't put my finger on it, but all the different cookies seem to be more bland.
Or maybe my tastebuds are getting shot out over the decades.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:21 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I am the opposite, and am very much in favor of them going door-to-door to sell cookies. Of course, there should always be an adult with them (hanging back at the street). You learn so many life skills by interacting with people, getting turned down, handling the orders, etc. In the old days, you could also learn how to make change, which seems to be a lost art these days.

I do agree that it is bad when the parents take over and have everyone in their office buy cookies from their kid.
I don’t think that. Rather, parents just covering that area. Some businesses don’t allow for that, so the parents help there by selling. Usually they just pin form to a bulletin board or leave on a main desk. I’ve only had one episode of being approached over my career. There’s a no solicitation policy in some businesses and neighborhoods, although some pretend that it doesn’t apply to them and others take it too seriously. I’ve also seen parents helping their kids/other members of the troop with learning to make change and manners while selling but it’s usually the youngsters making the sales pitch. At least those are what I’ve experienced thus far. I used to be a Scout (a gazillion years ago) that went door to door. It was interesting - a learning experience. Sometimes not so fun. Think we selected decent days to canvass and times to drop off boxes. Now, I’d prefer inside malls or places like that to standing out in the cold and/or windy weather. The area I live in, we don’t usually see the Scouts until the Feb- early April. I’ve heard other regional area get the scouts out much before that time. I had the GS link for selling. I’ll have to look it up again. I like how it would tell us which places exactly and the time frame for those days. Hopefully the current 2023 link will tell me the same info.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:07 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,540 times
I won't them buy them anymore. They are too expensive for what you get and most of the money doesn't even go to the girl scout troop. By the time they pay off everyone in the distribution chain - and then take their administrative cut for the pension and health insurance etc for the workers who are employed by corporate - it is pennies that goes to the girls. Plus, it isn't the girl scout selling them anymore anyway. They are supposed to be learning by these sales and they aren't learning anything. I am not saying they have to ring door bells - but they should be making some personal effort to reach family, friends and neighbors that they know. The whole cookie drive event has run way off course. And I agree with those who say they aren't good anymore. They use cheaper ingredients and a different manufacturing process and they come out harder, stale and tasteless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink