Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 02:51 PM

11,142 posts, read 7,891,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think many councils now discourage door-to-door sales in favor of setting up tables outside retail locations.
I saw a story where a Girl Scout set up a table in front of a marijuana dispensary.. She sold 171 boxes of cookies and got an invite to come back.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:46 PM

2,496 posts, read 2,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I saw a story where a Girl Scout set up a table in front of a marijuana dispensary.. She sold 171 boxes of cookies and got an invite to come back.

Smart girl, or smart parents.

They're usually out in front of our grocery stores.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:47 AM

23,829 posts, read 33,355,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I concur. I can't put my finger on it, but all the different cookies seem to be more bland.
Or maybe my tastebuds are getting shot out over the decades.

It's not your taste buds. Most products changed in the late 80's when the government started dictating what ingredients they can't use.

Fast food used to cook fries in beef oil, now it's plant based.

Cereals are also different. Watch the show Adam eats the 80's, it's eye opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I won't them buy them anymore. They are too expensive for what you get and most of the money doesn't even go to the girl scout troop. By the time they pay off everyone in the distribution chain - and then take their administrative cut for the pension and health insurance etc for the workers who are employed by corporate - it is pennies that goes to the girls. Plus, it isn't the girl scout selling them anymore anyway. They are supposed to be learning by these sales and they aren't learning anything. I am not saying they have to ring door bells - but they should be making some personal effort to reach family, friends and neighbors that they know. The whole cookie drive event has run way off course. And I agree with those who say they aren't good anymore. They use cheaper ingredients and a different manufacturing process and they come out harder, stale and tasteless.

Agree, they don't taste good any more. The thin mints were my favorite. Last box I bought were not as good as the Keebler thin mints or even the cheapest Walmart branded thin mints that are about $2. They set up at Walmart and shop rite by me. They also may set up at Target

My neighbors used to post in our development Facebook group when their kid was selling them. They also posted on their own Facebook. I would assume parents took it to work too.

Old 01-17-2023, 03:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 3,995,572 times
I also agree that they're overpriced and not as good as they were. The best ones now are the gluten free variety.

Old 01-17-2023, 03:23 AM

97 posts, read 72,755 times
I like Caramel delits most then others.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:45 AM

19,388 posts, read 9,445,852 times
I went to the page where you just enter your zip code to find the nearest booth. I see earliest date to be the 1st week of Feb., but the booth detail did not give me the time frame. The last time I did this, I can’t recall if it was pre Covid, bit probably so, the time frames were listed.

Other times when we were out shopping around not thinking about GS cookies, there they were. So, we’ll see come February. We still had a mini pack of thin mints I noticed in the refridgerator and maybe some Samoas. My husband usually gets the DoSiDo’s and finishes them up in less than a week.

We might also give a small donation at the same time.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 22,447,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I won't them buy them anymore. They are too expensive for what you get and most of the money doesn't even go to the girl scout troop. By the time they pay off everyone in the distribution chain - and then take their administrative cut for the pension and health insurance etc for the workers who are employed by corporate - it is pennies that goes to the girls. Plus, it isn't the girl scout selling them anymore anyway. They are supposed to be learning by these sales and they aren't learning anything. I am not saying they have to ring door bells - but they should be making some personal effort to reach family, friends and neighbors that they know. The whole cookie drive event has run way off course. And I agree with those who say they aren't good anymore. They use cheaper ingredients and a different manufacturing process and they come out harder, stale and tasteless.
My wife has been a GS leader for years. Contrary to your opinion, the Troop does receive quite a bit of $ from the cookie sales. I don't know the precise 'cut', but I know it's about 25%. Their council keeps a lot for their operating costs and camp maintenance and improvements.

My wifes was an 'older girl' troop- so yes her kids had to be a participant in booth sales at partnering supermarkets, retail stores and they of course can do sales on their own. Cookie sales paid 100% of my wife's troop level operating costs AND funded annual retreats. One year they all went to Yellowstone NP for a week- all funded by cookie sales. If there's money left over (which there usually is) the local troops in our community set some aside for girls/families in need or donate it to a worthy cause. And the girls are involved in that. If a girl doesn't participate they don't go on the annual retreat.

Yeah I've seen 'overachieving' parents hawking cookies, but I've also seen great GS leaders steering their troops the right way too.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:19 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,250,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Thin Mints are good, is there a reason the "chocolatey coating" is putting you off? LOL, that would be the least of my worries for buying some.
I'm not the OP, but I can answer from my perspective.

They "put me off" because Aldi has the exact same thing (possibly better) for $1.25 per box.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 22,447,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
https://www.today.com/parents/girl-s...sary-6-t122455

Quote:
An unidentified 9-year-old girl sold more than 300 boxes in six hours outside a marijuana dispensary in San Diego on Saturday, spurring debate about whether it violated Girl Scout rules.
That girl got the Entrepreneurship badge, lol.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:49 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,611,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My wife has been a GS leader for years. Contrary to your opinion, the Troop does receive quite a bit of $ from the cookie sales. I don't know the precise 'cut', but I know it's about 25%. Their council keeps a lot for their operating costs and camp maintenance and improvements.

My wifes was an 'older girl' troop- so yes her kids had to be a participant in booth sales at partnering supermarkets, retail stores and they of course can do sales on their own. Cookie sales paid 100% of my wife's troop level operating costs AND funded annual retreats. One year they all went to Yellowstone NP for a week- all funded by cookie sales. If there's money left over (which there usually is) the local troops in our community set some aside for girls/families in need or donate it to a worthy cause. And the girls are involved in that. If a girl doesn't participate they don't go on the annual retreat.

Yeah I've seen 'overachieving' parents hawking cookies, but I've also seen great GS leaders steering their troops the right way too.
Great post- my best friend is also a troop leader and does a lot of stuff locally with the state GS person to organize activities. A lot of the cookie sales do help make stuff like attending the summer camps and other trips more affordable for kids. I know in my best friend’s area, they have a lot of camp/glampsites the girls can go that are not very expensive at all. We went to Mackinac Island in Michigan one summer and they had a whole program there for girls to act as docents at certain historical sites throughout the island. That was just available for Michigan GS, but it was a great opportunity for the girls there. Yes, they are expensive, but it is still a good experience for the girls working at booths and doing the sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink