Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 06:20 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times

Advertisements

I too drink too many Diet Cokes, but I've switched over to Luzianne Sweetened Tea at home. With 2 family size tea bags in my short Tupperware pitcher I can make 1/2 gallon in the microwave in 8 minutes.

Now I go through too many lemons which are pretty expensive right now.

We also love Crystal Lite ice tea mix with lemon that makes 1/2 gallon in 30 seconds. The green peach tea is even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 07:48 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
I drink a lot of iced tea in the summer. I make it in a tall mug, brewed like regular tea, filled halfway. Add ice to cool it down before pouring into a tall glass. I like it sweet but use artificial sweeteners as regular sugar never seems to melt!

Old 01-25-2023, 06:25 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In the 70s and 80s we drank iced tea at home instead of colas. Spent 8 years in the Navy drinking coffe, colas, and bug juice (think koolaid). I’ve reduced my coffee from a high of 16 cups a day to 2 cups a day. Reduced my colas from 4 to 6 16 oz cans to 1 can a day. Now making the switch back to iced tea. Bought an electric kettle to boil 1 quart of water quickly. Instructions say to steep 2 tea bags in 1 quart of boiling water and then add 1 quart cold water then sweeten to taste. I’ve started with 1/4 cup sugar and will gradually reduce the sugar amount like I did with the sugar for my coffee. Mom use to add a cup of sugar for 2 quarts of tea. Be interesting to see how I feel going from 39 grams of sugar in a carbonated cola to 30 and then 15 grams of sugar per 2 cups of tea made with filter water and nothing artificial.hoping to get to no sugar added.
I used to drink 2 liters! of Diet Coke a day. I switched years ago to green tea (I add aspartame). I'm late 60's and healthy as a horse. Green tea is chocked full of antioxidants and has less caffeine than colas.

I'm healthier, I save a lot of money, and consume less caffeine, and damage my teeth less. (Colas have a high acid content and will eat away your teeth enamel!)

Old 01-25-2023, 11:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I find that all of the sodas, even the sugar free are too sweet for my taste. I have been making my own iced tea for years, and added just a little sugar. When out at a restaurant and I order it I will not add any, because it won't dissolve well when iced. Lately I have discovered "Monk Fruit" sweetener, which is a natural sugar substitute that's has no calories or carbs. I also like sun tea but then we can only make it here in July and August.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:26 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Where I live, we can make sun tea year round, but if I don't feel like going outside in the chilly breeze, I'll just make cold brew on the kitchen island. Each version has a slightly different flavor, and I like them all.

Don't put any sweetener in my tea, as I just prefer a good, strong tea flavor. I play around with a lot of different kinds of teas, but when company is coming, I make it with Tetley or Luzianne ice tea bags. Decaf or regular, they taste great.

Suggest you don't put sweetener in the entire amount you're brewing. Instead, do a little sweetener in each glass you pour. That should make it easier to back off on the sugar amounts.

Good luck, and enjoy your tea.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:23 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
I too drink too many Diet Cokes, but I've switched over to Luzianne Sweetened Tea at home. With 2 family size tea bags in my short Tupperware pitcher I can make 1/2 gallon in the microwave in 8 minutes.

Now I go through too many lemons which are pretty expensive right now.

We also love Crystal Lite ice tea mix with lemon that makes 1/2 gallon in 30 seconds. The green peach tea is even better.
The electric kettle I have takes 4 1/2 minutes to boil 1 quart of water. Once boiled, I pour into a pitcher with 2 tea bags and steep for 5 minutes. After have removed I then add another quart of water and sweeten to taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink