Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,444,947 times

Advertisements

In my Tiramisu I use Marsala wine, this is the Italian way to do it and it is always a great success.
I know that many people use coffee liquor or Amaretto or other ingredients, but to me it does not taste the same without Marsala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 09:35 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,490,075 times
I also use beer in my Chili and about 10-15 drops of lime juice, and ~1/2 a can of Bush's baked beans-Boston style.
I saw a recipe in an old cookbook for deviled eggs-put deviled ham [like Underwood's] in them w/sweet relish and the usual other stuff.
Also, I've started using celery flakes in just about all my dishes-it's easier than buying celery and washing, chopping, etc.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:31 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 953,982 times
I use "Vegete" seasoning on meats and sometimes roasted veggies too. It used to be available only in Europe (I think it comes from Poland), where it's extremely popular, then it migrated to import food shops in the U.S., and now it's available in many mainstream supermarkets.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:43 PM

625 posts, read 1,581,289 times
Thumbs up Ground up chicken gizzards

Yes I said gizzards It's not the bad word alot of people think. If you take the gizzards ( brighter pinkish purple is fresher) remove any lining material (thin yellow substance) cut out the connecting grissle, you can run them through a meat grinder several times to make a very solid burger meat. No fat just muscle. Use in place of hamburger in fried or dirty rice dishes. It is a wonderful taste almost like beef tongue but not quite.....I do want to say this; if you try to make a patty out of it, the meat will crumble apart a bit and it is a little overwhelming in flavor that way Even for us gizzard lovers.

You know this might make a good thread.....see who else loves those tasty little things we call gizzards

Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 PM

878 posts, read 2,728,121 times
For my meat stews...I add two spoons of sugar..makes that gravy absolutely divine....

Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 PM

812 posts, read 2,301,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Okay... cough it up!!

Most of us have a "secret" ingredient that we add to something that we'll never tell our friends. Well... we're not friends here! It doesn't have to be the entire recipe... just something you add that people generally wouldn't know.

For me, I lived in Asia for 4 1/2 years (2 in Japan, 2 1/2 in Philippines) and 6 1/2 years in Hawaii. While there, I developed a taste for marinated meats. So, often when I do a barbeque here in Texas, I use a marinade more than a rub or seasonings. Often they like the flavor and can't put their finger on it.

Truth be told, I use a base called Aloha Barbeque Sauce. It's not Shoyu, it's a very dark, viscuous liquid. It's both sweet and salty, so the only other things in put in the marindade are garlic and pepper. I don't tell people here because you can't buy the stuff here anyway, I order it over the internet! But that's my secret ingredient!!
Oh, you can make your own bbq sauce (teri sauce) and not spend the money. just use shoyu, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Same thing and save you a bunch of money!

Old 03-14-2016, 06:59 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,330,069 times
Default "secret ingredient" in recipes. Do you have one?

Care to share what that secret ingredient is that makes the recipe so wonderful?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:17 AM

16,350 posts, read 12,332,561 times
I put lots of nutmeg in my mashed potatoes. I don't know if that qualifies as a "secret ingredient," but people always seem to get a look of wild surprise when they eat my potatoes and I tell them what they're tasting. "I never would have thought of that!"

I didn't know it was all that unusual. That's the way I've always had them.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,431,829 times
In a lot of dishes, Fyra Kroddar. It's a Swedish spice blend I can't even get from relatives in Sweden anymore.

In a few other dishes, a splash of balsamic vinegar - it really can brighten things up and give them some depth of flavor. I especially like it in pot roast.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 AM

503 posts, read 769,046 times
A spoonful of mayo in my scratch cakes. Adds moisture and a bit of density.

This was my friends - montreal seasoning in her green beans. Not really a secret - but tasty!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink