Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 11:44 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

I just notice my local market is now carrying peeled, packaged garlic cloves packed in plastic bags in the refrigerated section. Since I'll often find a whole head kept in a dark cabinet will also wind up with cloves sprouting I'm curious if there's any downside to the to the packaged, peeled, refrigerated cloves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 11:53 AM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times
I normally just use the chopped garlic in olive oil in a jar because there's no stinky hands and it only takes a minute to dip in with a small spoon and portion out what I need... but this sounds like it will be fresher.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I normally just use the chopped garlic in olive oil in a jar because there's no stinky hands and it only takes a minute to dip in with a small spoon and portion out what I need... but this sounds like it will be fresher.

Thanks for the reply. I do kinda like the idea of whole cloves as sometimes I want to thinly slice them rather than mince them or take the whole clove to the microplane, just not sure if they keep well. Then again, I've never kept whole heads of garlic in the fridge, maybe that would reduce the chance of the cloves sprouting?

Old 02-25-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do kinda like the idea of whole cloves as sometimes I want to thinly slice them rather than mince them or take the whole clove to the microplane, just not sure if they keep well. Then again, I've never kept whole heads of garlic in the fridge, maybe that would reduce the chance of the cloves sprouting?
So water and oil don't mix -> coating them in oil will block the flow of moisture and keep them from drying out. If you brush them generously with olive oil and keep them in a small glass jar, I will bet they will keep a lot better. Try keeping half in the bag and half in the jar coated with oil, and see how they compare a month later.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
So water and oil don't mix -> coating them in oil will block the flow of moisture and keep them from drying out. If you brush them generously with olive oil and keep them in a small glass jar, I will bet they will keep a lot better.

One of the things of the packaged cloves that caught my eye was they were all large, plump gloves as opposed to the variety of sizes you often find in whole heads, and the package price seemed quite reasonable.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
One of the things of the packaged cloves that caught my eye was they were all large, plump gloves as opposed to the variety of sizes you often find in whole heads, and the package price seemed quite reasonable.
Well, whatever you do, if you try them, let us know what you find!

Old 02-25-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well, whatever you do, if you try them, let us know what you find!

Yeah, next time I'm in that particular store I'll pick up a bag. I'd seen jars of peeled cloves in a local Asian market but I think the bags caught my eye as I'd never seen them in the refrigerated section before.

Old 02-25-2023, 01:35 PM

This company is also interesting - they make a bunch of herb pastes in a squeeze tube - ginger, cilantro, basil, etc; . They need to be kept in the fridge but keep about 3 mos after opening so long as they are kept cold. Saves time and money.

https://www.gourmetgarden.com/en-us/products#Paste

Old 02-25-2023, 01:38 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I have been getting the large bags of peeled garlic from Costco. I have to freeze about 3/4 of them, because as much as I love garlic, I can't use them fast enough. I love the convenience.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:41 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I used to get those at some warehouse type store like costco. The were great, but the bags were so big, I never used them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink